PDA

View Full Version : Shower incloser

firekat96
04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
We just got back from our first trip in our new Carbon 357 and while we were out we noticed the shower had been cracked and repaired.

This is very hard to see and was missed during our walk through. Went to my dealer yesterday and told them and they didn't know it either, and I actually believe them. They want to see it and take pictures to send to Keystone to see if something can be done about it. They also said that should have been replaced at the factory.

Is it even possible to replace the whole shower inclosure in a unit? Anyone else have this issue.

Any ideas?

chuckster57
04-07-2015, 12:34 PM
It's not simple but it is doable. I've done a couple- NOT FUN!!!

firekat96
04-07-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm assuming it will have to go back to the factory? My dealer said they couldn't do it there if I did get it replaced. This should have been replaced at the factory and not repaired in the first place. Our only concern is we have trips planned until late October and can't afford the down time right now.

Festus2
04-07-2015, 01:52 PM
I'm assuming it will have to go back to the factory? Our only concern is we have trips planned until late October and can't afford the down time right now.

I'm not sure why it would have to go back to the factory and the replacement work not able to be done at the dealer's service center. What reasons did your dealer give you for saying that they couldn't do it? As Chuckster57 remarked, "It's not simple but it's doable".

If you are able to make do with the cracked enclosure and still use the shower, are you able to wait until your vacation time is over then take it in to be replaced? Have you looked into what a glass shop might be able to do for you?

One of my concerns would be whether or not the cracked enclosure would be able to withstand the movement resulting from travelling down the highway.

firekat96
04-07-2015, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure why it would have to go back to the factory and the replacement work not able to be done at the dealer's service center. What reasons did your dealer give you for saying that they couldn't do it? As Chuckster57 remarked, "It's not simple but it's doable".

If you are able to make do with the cracked enclosure and still use the shower, are you able to wait until your vacation time is over then take it in to be replaced? Have you looked into what a glass shop might be able to do for you?

One of my concerns would be whether or not the cracked enclosure would be able to withstand the movement resulting from travelling down the highway.

They did not say why they couldn't do it, just that it would have to go to the factory. It seems pretty strong cause I applied a good bit of force to the center of the spidering and it held up. But yes I have the same concern about traveling with it and the vibration it takes over time.

We did think about waiting for the off season but I'm going to have to get some type of OK from my dealer or Keystone that I can put it off until then.

Haven't checked anywhere else cause the camper is only 2 weeks old and I think we're entitled to a non-cracked shower. I would post a picture but it doesn't show up well enough in the picture.

firekat96
04-07-2015, 03:25 PM
The entire size of the area is about a 12"-14" circle.

JRTJH
04-07-2015, 03:54 PM
If the shower surround is separate from the shower pan, it's a 2 piece system and can be removed from the bathroom through the existing doors. If the shower is a one piece unit, then I could see a significant problem because it wouldn't fit through the doors. In that case, the side wall would need to be removed to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm not sure which type of shower stall you have. That may be the dealer's reasoning for not wanting to attempt the repair at his facility.

You'd probably be "better off" having the existing shower stall repaired by a local fiberglass repair shop. We had some rental apartments in Louisiana and tenants were always "dropping bowling balls", etc in the tubs. The first one, I had a contractor replace... It cost 4 times what new construction cost. After that, I contacted Lowe's, got the name of their "tub repairman", contacted him and he repaired all the rest of the damaged tubs (at least 6 or 7) for less than the cost of replacing one. His repair jobs were so good that it was not possible to tell where the repairs were made.

You might want to talk to your dealership about a tub repair rather than a tub replacement.

firekat96
04-07-2015, 05:58 PM
If the shower surround is separate from the shower pan, it's a 2 piece system and can be removed from the bathroom through the existing doors. If the shower is a one piece unit, then I could see a significant problem because it wouldn't fit through the doors. In that case, the side wall would need to be removed to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm not sure which type of shower stall you have. That may be the dealer's reasoning for not wanting to attempt the repair at his facility.

You'd probably be "better off" having the existing shower stall repaired by a local fiberglass repair shop. We had some rental apartments in Louisiana and tenants were always "dropping bowling balls", etc in the tubs. The first one, I had a contractor replace... It cost 4 times what new construction cost. After that, I contacted Lowe's, got the name of their "tub repairman", contacted him and he repaired all the rest of the damaged tubs (at least 6 or 7) for less than the cost of replacing one. His repair jobs were so good that it was not possible to tell where the repairs were made.

You might want to talk to your dealership about a tub repair rather than a tub replacement.

It's all 1 piece, if you look close you can see the circle that's a tad lighter than the rest.

JRTJH
04-07-2015, 06:10 PM
I think I see what you're describing. If I have it right, it's the lighter circle that about shoulder level on the back wall?

The only way to get that shower stall out is to remove the bed slide, remove the wall between the bedroom and the bath and take it out. Then, after reinstalling the new one, rebuild the bath/bedroom wall and reinstall the slide. It's not an easy repair and may lead to bigger problems than a discolored shower.

I do believe that it's not a structural crack, but more cosmetic. There's little weight on that part of the shower and the cracks aren't likely to reappear if it's fixed properly. I wouldn't think the dealer has the expertise that a qualified fiberglass repair facility who does this type of work every day would have.

I'm not sure who repaired the wall the first time, but with the "spot" that you describe, it's probably not a "quality repair". If you don't feel the dealer "has your back" on this one, why not find your own fiberglass repairman and talk to him about it. The least that could happen is you get a professional perspective on what needs to be done.

I don't think, if it were mine, that I would want it taken back to the factory for a repair that would mean disassembling the front of my trailer, at least not for something that can be repaired just as well locally.

Good Luck !!!!!

firekat96
04-07-2015, 06:42 PM
I think I see what you're describing. If I have it right, it's the lighter circle that about shoulder level on the back wall?

The only way to get that shower stall out is to remove the bed slide, remove the wall between the bedroom and the bath and take it out. Then, after reinstalling the new one, rebuild the bath/bedroom wall and reinstall the slide. It's not an easy repair and may lead to bigger problems than a discolored shower.

I do believe that it's not a structural crack, but more cosmetic. There's little weight on that part of the shower and the cracks aren't likely to reappear if it's fixed properly. I wouldn't think the dealer has the expertise that a qualified fiberglass repair facility who does this type of work every day would have.

I'm not sure who repaired the wall the first time, but with the "spot" that you describe, it's probably not a "quality repair". If you don't feel the dealer "has your back" on this one, why not find your own fiberglass repairman and talk to him about it. The least that could happen is you get a professional perspective on what needs to be done.

I don't think, if it were mine, that I would want it taken back to the factory for a repair that would mean disassembling the front of my trailer, at least not for something that can be repaired just as well locally.

Good Luck !!!!!

Yes that's the spot. It has a center where probably 20-30 cracks leave from going in all directions. Your correct it's a poor repair job because I can still see the cracks and bubbles in their work. Now don't get me wrong we did just camp in it for 5 days and used the shower every day and didn't notice it until we got home and was cleaning it. But now since I know it's there it's like BAM I'm cracked.

Sounds like fixing this with a completely new shower will probably cause more issues down the road with all that work. Granted we just got it and will likely have it for a while I'm already worried about resale/trade value because of it.

Festus2
04-07-2015, 07:16 PM
If the dealer gets the green light from Keystone to have it repaired - not replaced - and that it will be covered under warranty, then I'd suggest following JRTH's recommendation.

Once you get the go-ahead, take it in get an assessment carried out by a fiberglass "pro", find out the cost and get the repair authorized by the dealer/Keystone. This way, you won't have to pay for it, the repair will be done properly and you will be able to stand in the shower without being "cracked".

If the fiberglass guy does a good job, you probably won't be able to see it.

(My apologies for recommending a "glass shop" .... I mistakenly thought you were talking about the shower doors ...... duh)

firekat96
04-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Thanks for all the input and advice. I plan on taking to the dealer to look at it next week I'll let you know what they say.

chuckster57
04-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Now that you have posted a picture, I believe John is right about removing the slide to replace. That's probably the reason the dealer won't replace it.

Using the right equipment, I don't see any issues with removal, replacement of the shower and reinstall of the slide, but all the RIGHT stuff is at the factory.

ksbowman
04-08-2015, 06:48 AM
We had a hole in our tub in our lake cabin and had a repair done by a company out of Arkansas. The job was amazing. It could not be found after they did there magic. I knew exactly where the damage was and could not find it after the repair. That was 9 years ago and it has not reoccurred with lots of use and cleaning. I would not hesitate to have one repaired again after how well this worked.

hankpage
04-08-2015, 08:39 AM
From looking at your photo I would say that a repair was done by the manufacturer and never noticed by Keystone. (if it was noticed it was already installed and QC let it go) As mentioned you have a few options .... first you need to know if it is fiberglass, acrylic or just plain old plastic and who in your area repairs that material. If Keystone is willing to pay, I would consider replacing locally with a quality two or three piece residential unit of the same size to avoid return to factory for disassembly. They may weigh a few more pounds but the pan will be much more rigid. The old one can be cut and removed in pieces without taking your trailer apart. As usual .... JM2¢, Hank
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1127

firekat96
04-08-2015, 12:33 PM
I don't like the idea of sending it back to the factory, who knows what kind of condition it will come back in. Guess we'll see what they have to say next week when I get a chance to take it in to the dealer.

JRTJH
04-08-2015, 01:03 PM
When you talk to the dealer, actually the service writer or service manager, remember that they have no idea what you're thinking or even realistically, what you're expecting until you tell them. For them, the "last they heard" was a discussion about taking it back to the factory because they couldn't replace the shower locally. So, if you "guide them" in the direction you think would be appropriate, suggest your preferences and let them come up with ideas that they think will be supported by Keystone and meet your goals.......

In other words, don't drop it off, expecting to pick it up "fixed" the way you want it, unless they know what you expect. Demanding won't usually get them to support an "outside approach", but suggesting and discussing what you think are acceptable options will usually get them on "your side and headed down the path you prefer"......

Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

firekat96
04-08-2015, 04:48 PM
When you talk to the dealer, actually the service writer or service manager, remember that they have no idea what you're thinking or even realistically, what you're expecting until you tell them. For them, the "last they heard" was a discussion about taking it back to the factory because they couldn't replace the shower locally. So, if you "guide them" in the direction you think would be appropriate, suggest your preferences and let them come up with ideas that they think will be supported by Keystone and meet your goals.......

In other words, don't drop it off, expecting to pick it up "fixed" the way you want it, unless they know what you expect. Demanding won't usually get them to support an "outside approach", but suggesting and discussing what you think are acceptable options will usually get them on "your side and headed down the path you prefer"......

Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Great advice thanks and I will keep everyone updated on what's going on.

chuckster57
04-08-2015, 05:52 PM
I don't like the idea of sending it back to the factory, who knows what kind of condition it will come back in. Guess we'll see what they have to say next week when I get a chance to take it in to the dealer.

We haven't sent anything back to Keystone, but we have sent a few back to other factories. Haven't seen any come back with any damage. We did instruct the customer to remove any and all valuables.

firekat96
06-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I know long over due. Finally took it in today and the dealer couldn't believe they would let it go like that. He took several pictures and immediately emailed them to Keystone so hopefully we'll know something soon.

gearhead
06-07-2015, 05:04 AM
Also.....looks like you have the glass shower doors from Hades. Never trust that little latch. I put adjustable curtain rods in the bottom tracks to prevent the doors from coming loose and shattering, again.
I would have been happy with plastic doors myself.

firekat96
06-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Also.....looks like you have the glass shower doors from Hades. Never trust that little latch. I put adjustable curtain rods in the bottom tracks to prevent the doors from coming loose and shattering, again.
I would have been happy with plastic doors myself.

Yes you're correct, the latch seems to fit tight but thanks for the heads up. I'll pick up a shower rode this weekend before we head out on Sunday.

Going to pick up the camper tomorrow so should know something about this situation.

firekat96
06-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Update. My dealer got with Keystone and they are sending out a professional resurfacing company to redo the shower enclosure. They are doing all the work at my house so I don't have to take it anywhere. Work will be done on the 30th so I'll update how it goes.

shov
06-26-2015, 08:10 AM
That's great news for you, and hope you have a great result!

Please update us all again when the Pro's are finished resurfacing your shower surround.

Happy Camping!

LuvsPalmTrees
06-27-2015, 02:58 PM
That is fantastic. Good Luck with the repair. Just be really picky - don't let them leave until you are satisfied. Be sure to take after photos for your records

firekat96
06-27-2015, 06:30 PM
I plan on the photos. I was very surprised they said they would come to me, that definitely helps.

firekat96
07-01-2015, 04:09 PM
The guys came out yesterday and said it was a very poor repair job from the factory. They worked on it for 2 hours and I must say I'm completely satisfied, can't even tell where the cracks were and it all matches now. Even cleaned up all the mess and dust.

shov
07-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Glad to hear you had great results with the repair!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvsPalmTrees
07-07-2015, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear it went well. Happy Camping!