PDA

View Full Version : Travel trailer fire

Ken / Claudia
04-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Just sharing some information on a news story. I do not have any inside facts, only know what was said on the news and seen on the story. A arson fire, the guy was arrested. He told police he lit ropes near the front of the TT. I guess that was holding down a tarp?. One propane tank blew up, it was shown on the story and the other was burned but did not blow up. The TT was a total loss a little framing was all that was left. I will contact my arson cop buddy and see if he knows. This was not in his area so, more information may not be available to me. Was #2 tank empty and was the tank that blew up on or off. Again I am making guesses at this point but, to have the #1 tank blow up wouldn't it need to be on or could the heat of a fire on rope cause it? Maybe the guy cut the line and turned it on? Any opinions?

{tpc}
04-07-2015, 04:36 AM
My assumption would be that one of the tanks was left on, and the fire burned through the propane connection hose. I am not sure how much heat would be needed to penetrate a propane tank.

Not sure what brings people to do this sort of thing. :( And why the "ropes"...story seems odd all the way around.

Sarvi
04-17-2015, 07:52 PM
I'm a little late to the party here, but I live in the town that this was located in (I'm assuming you mean the fires in Albany, since I see you are from Gladstone and likely would have heard about it). The owners were cleaning the trailer out to put it up for sale, in fact, on the morning this happened, they were going to list it on Craigslist. The arsonist claims he set "some ropes" on fire, then continued on to the high school about a mile away. There he claims he "tossed his cigarette in a dumpster" and somehow that lit the building that holds the cafeteria, entire music department (including all sheet music, band instruments, choir robes, etc), the child development classroom, and the home ec department on fire, completely destroying it. It was a 4 alarm fire, with 70 fire fighters fighting it. My kids attend this high school so it hit pretty close to home.

The travel trailer fire was discovered by a police officer canvassing the area around the school (this was at 3:30am). He discovered the fire, saw it was near the propane tanks, and pounded on the door to the house to wake up the occupants. They got out just before the tank blew, which damaged the vehicles in the driveway (including their new trailer), and shattered the front picture window. The explosion was so loud that most people thought it was from the high school fire.

That's the story in a nutshell... a bunch of craziness but it's amazing how a community comes together in times like this.

jsmith948
04-18-2015, 04:10 AM
I have a possible solution/preventative for events such as these.....

A well placed, forcefully and swiftly applied boot to the backside of that "poor, misunderstood, misguided, unfortunate:rolleyes: youth!!!!!!

Just sayin'

Sarvi
04-18-2015, 07:37 AM
If only it were that easy... the arsonist is a 28 year old Army veteran with severe PTSD issues. He was convicted last fall for setting several fires in a nearby town. He was given 5 days in jail, an 18 month suspended sentence, and 5 years probation. The light sentence was given due to his not having any criminal history and being a veteran of the armed forces. Obviously, they misjudged him.

Ken / Claudia
04-20-2015, 12:04 PM
Yes Sarvi that is the story. I finally got to talk with a arson investigator friend this morning. He did not have any information about this fire. He did said that if the tank that blew up was on or off, does not matter. Heat will over ride the OPD valve if hot enough. As we know the rubber hose will melt first. If tank is on than propane starts burning like a torch thru the opening. That makes a bigger hotter fire. At some point the OPD valve starts venting due to the heat and that adds to the fire.. At some point the OPD valve cannot vent fast enough and heat causes the tank to blow. He said if the tank had not blow the other tank may have also blown at some point even with a small amount of propane again due to heat of the fire. So, valve on or off with enough heat a propane tank at any level will blow up. According to the investigator.

Sarvi
04-20-2015, 12:44 PM
That is good information to know, thank you for the follow-up!

mikell
04-27-2015, 08:10 AM
We had a 10 year old set some tents on fire at the campground once and boy we're his parents upset at us for calling the police. It was real ugly but copies of the video tapes given to the police changed everything and they got into a hurry to leave. They kid was held and they left for another campground in the area because we were picking on their darling. We called the other place and let them know what was happening. Booked full and a thanks.