PDA

View Full Version : Caulking top of shower

Zapper
04-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Preparing to leave for a month in Fort Morgan, AL, in our new Fuzion. Doing checks and rechecks on different on parts and pieces, just trying to learn the camper.
My question: today I noticed the top of the shower insert, where it meets the wallboard isn't caulked. I don't see how water cannot eventually get up there. I'm going to caulk, although it won't be easy because of the depth of the insert itself, especially in the corners. Is this normally a caulked area? Has anyone else noticed this, or is there a reason to not caulk that I'm missing?

leonandlisa
04-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Mine shower walls were not caulked to the wall board either, but when I shower it does get wet above the shower walls so I caulked the shower walls to the wall board. I am curious what others say but I still think it should be sealed.

Leon

chuckster57
04-02-2015, 06:54 PM
If you seal the top edges of the surround, I would use a clear silicone.

Zapper
04-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Thanks Chuckster57 will do.

ftrupe
04-11-2015, 03:27 PM
After reading this post, I just checked the shower on my new 2015 Passport 23RB. The bottom of my shower is only caulked along the glass enclosure, not along the 2 pieces against the walls. Is that supposed to be that way? Perhaps so it can move a bit as the trailer moves? I'm sure there is a lip on the pan that is covered, so there should be no problem with water. Just wondering if I should caulk it. Any advice?

chuckster57
04-11-2015, 03:32 PM
After reading this post, I just checked the shower on my new 2015 Passport 23RB. The bottom of my shower is only caulked along the glass enclosure, not along the 2 pieces against the walls. Is that supposed to be that way? Perhaps so it can move a bit as the trailer moves? I'm sure there is a lip on the pan that is covered, so there should be no problem with water. Just wondering if I should caulk it. Any advice?

Perfectly normal for the walls not to be sealed at the bottom. The "pan" comes up behind the wall enough to keep water out of the trailer wall.

You could use a silicon sealant if you wanted, but it has to be DRY before you do because you don't want any trapped moisture.

ftrupe
04-11-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks Chuckster57. I think I'll just leave it as is.