PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone LOVE the factory bed?

ColoradoSooner
04-01-2015, 04:19 AM
We'll be taking possession of our new TT in May and one of the things I'm concerned about is the bed.

After reading about a million threads about the beds that come with the units, it seems pretty much everyone in every RV forum everywhere hates them. So I'm thinking maybe I should just go ahead and order us another bed to get ahead of the game. There's almost nothing worse than a bad night's sleeping, especially while camping.

But like with anything else, maybe it's just the people who are unhappy with them who post about them.

Anyone looooove the bed that came with your RV? (Assuming it wasn't a Sleep Number or something.)

{tpc}
04-01-2015, 04:30 AM
I wouldn't say we LOVE ours, but for now, it suffices. What has made the biggest difference for us, is the purchase of a full length pillow to put up by the headboard (I know there isn't a headboard but not sure what to call it). We then use our regular pillows in front (on top) of that, and it works pretty good.

At some point we will probably replace it, but for what a nice one costs, the one in the house needs that money first lol.

GmaPaTime
04-01-2015, 04:35 AM
A short answer to your question.... No

I don't think you'll find many that will say they Love the mattress they got with their RV. Having said that though, this is a personal choice that no one can answer for you. Some will find that they don't love the mattress but it's just ok while others will hate it and want it replaced. Although I think ours it just ok, my wife hates ours and we will be replacing or adding a topper soon I'm sure.

I'd suggest trying it out a few times before just jumping out and buying a new one. Good Luck and enjoy your new camper. :)

Steve

byrdr1
04-01-2015, 04:43 AM
NOPE, did not love the one the TT either. So we bought just a queen sized pillow top from a mattress factory discount store in town.
When We bought the 5er we traded the factory one into the TT and pulled our pillowtop out and placed into the 5er.
everything is fine in the 5er.
NOW we have to get something for the house as ours has hit the wall and is the most uncomfortable thing ever.
randy

jsmith948
04-01-2015, 05:04 AM
Our 5er came with an inner spring pillow top mattress. Wasn't the most comfortable. We added a foam topper from Koehl's ($49 on sale).

Desert185
04-01-2015, 06:18 AM
Having the right mattress is one of the essential things in life...sorta like wetbolts and good tires. :). We put a memory foam topper on ours and trimmed the length with an electric knife. Add good pillows and the sleeping is great for us. One just has to find the right combination that works for their individual comfort requirements.

JRTJH
04-01-2015, 07:07 AM
Mattresses are much like cooking. How much salt is "too much"? or "not enough"? It's really a personal choice.

That said, the more "expensive" the trailer, one would think, the more "comfortable" the mattress. Our Springdale had a "spring steel lump" for a mattress which was replaced before the second camping trip. We kept our upgraded mattress and installed it in the Cougar at delivery. As we were pulling the "factory Cougar mattress" out of our new trailer, it seemed much better than the one in our Springdale. We never slept on it, but a number of people here have commented on the significantly more comfortable mattresses in their newer Cougars.

So, as stated, you may find that what's installed in your new trailer is just as comfortable as your home mattress, or you may find that it's a "spring steel lump"... I'd advise waiting to try it out before spending money on something you find "sleeps just like at home".....
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sleep/sleeping.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

In the meantime, please pass the salt............... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cook/cooking-dinner.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

Pmedic4
04-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Have to agree, the usual mattresses that come with most RV's are pretty bad. Several TT's ago, the mattress that came with the trailer was just a covered 4" foam pad. We went and bought a new one from a place, "VERLO", that will make the mattress as Firm or Soft as you prefer, and in any size, and it was great. A few years later, we we upgraded our TT to a newer model, we took the mattress from our old TT to the new one - I'm sure the dealer liked that, since they could say the used TT had a 'new' mattress, still in the plastic bag.

In our current FW, we were also planning on doing the same, and getting a new mattress, but noticed the mattress was a good quality mattress, and in talking with the salesman, he said their dealership always upgrades the mattresses on all the better RV's. He said the cost that way was fairly low, and generally appreciated by most customers.

Javi
04-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Love might be a bit strong.. but the mattress in our new Cougar is more than sufficient. No, it isn't the $1800 king, hypoallergenic, extra firm, mattress of our sticks & bricks but the DW and I can sleep the clock around on it.. ;)

gkainz
04-01-2015, 10:13 AM
couldn't love it ...
couldn't like it ...
couldn't even tolerate it ...
so it hit the trash (yeah, so disliked that I couldn't even, in good conscious try to GIVE it away)

Rotated in the next mattress in the house that was up for replacement, and good sleep has been restored! :)

EricLynnAllison
04-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Our Raptor mattress is OK. As mentioned, higher end may have better mattresses.

BirchyBoy
04-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I noticed that some of the Jayco's are coming with mattresses from the "Denver Mattress Company". That brand is generally pretty good. I wish that Keystone would do something similar on models in the same category (Passports, etc.).

carwheel_09
04-01-2015, 11:10 AM
Even with a 3' memory foam topper mine is the pits. Fixing to order order an Olympic queen, the are sized between a king and a regular queen.

SAABDOCTOR
04-01-2015, 11:37 AM
MINE IS ON the floor of my work shop! the DOGS love it:D

mamawildbear
04-01-2015, 12:07 PM
HATED the mattress in out new Springdale TT! Unbearable! We added a foam mattress topper (a good one, not the useless egg crates) plus a feather bed mattress pad and now it is just fine. So comfy at night and much cheaper than s new mattress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JRTJH
04-01-2015, 12:50 PM
I noticed that some of the Jayco's are coming with mattresses from the "Denver Mattress Company". That brand is generally pretty good. I wish that Keystone would do something similar on models in the same category (Passports, etc.).

Not that there's anything wrong with the Denver Mattress Company, their products or even with Lippert (LCI), but it's interesting to note that Lippert owns Denver Mattress.

http://lci1.com/denver-mattress

JRTJH
04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
HATED the mattress in out new Springdale TT! Unbearable! We added a foam mattress topper (a good one, not the useless egg crates) plus a feather bed mattress pad and now it is just fine. So comfy at night and much cheaper than s new mattress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was the same with our Springdale. Earlier I described it as a "spring steel lump." I was being "kind" in the description........

We didn't even try to salvage it, just replaced it and moved on... When we traded for the Cougar, the old Springdale mattress, came out of the rafters in the pole barn and back into the Springdale. I'm sure the new owners were "happy to get a new mattress" when they bought the trailer, but no doubt, they probably found it as uncomfortable as we did......

GMcKenzie
04-01-2015, 01:31 PM
I have no issues with the mattress that came with our Cougar. Much better than the one in our last trailer (Wilderness). We ended up replacing that one but are fine with our current one.

BirchyBoy
04-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with the Denver Mattress Company, their products or even with Lippert (LCI), but it's interesting to note that Lippert owns Denver Mattress.

http://lci1.com/denver-mattress

Wow, didn't know that. I thought it was a locally owned company.

Edit: It appears to be a strategic partnership. Denver Mattress is owned by Furniture Row, a Denver based company.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/denver-mattress-hospitality-announces-exclusive-partnership-with-lippert-components-inc-198809591.html

poncho62
04-01-2015, 02:55 PM
I burnt ours......
Was able to replace it with a full sized house queen....I am over 6ft, so needed the length......just like sleeping at home now

chris199
04-01-2015, 06:07 PM
We tolerated out RV mattresses. Bought a queen sleep number thinking our Cougar bed was queen....because our Passport bed was shorter we assumed the Passport bed was a short queen. Turns out our Cougar was a short queen...I still dont know what size bed was in our Passport.

Im 6'4" and needed more length. Made mistake opening the queen sleep number...couldnt return it.

Have a short queen sleep number now. Love it.

FYI...both are for sale. PM me if interested.

Queen sleep number....never used.

Short queen used for a total of 15 nights.

Upgrading camper and getting a king bed.

ColoradoSooner
04-02-2015, 06:16 PM
So today I decided to head to the dealer and lie down on the bed. You know how sometimes when you're looking for a mattress, you try it out in the store and think, "This should be fine"? Only to get it home and realize it was a big mistake?

That is not going to happen with me because as soon as I laid down on it, I knew there was no way in hades that I was going to sleep a single night on that...what did JRTJH call it?..."spring steel lump." Wow, I was honestly surprised at how bad it was.

I even had a friend with me who tried it out and echoed my sentiments exactly. Really, really terrible.

So the search for a new, hopefully non-bank-breaking mattress is on!

Thanks for everyone's input. I really appreciate it. (tx)

jkohler70
04-03-2015, 05:39 AM
I think it depends on how much time you spend in it, your physical condition, and personal preference.
Ours was just bearable until we added a nice topper to it. Now we sleep just fine. We only use ours for weekend and occasional week-long trips. If I spent more time in it, I might upgrade.
The true test is DW. Her back sometimes gives her fits, but she's never complained, and sometimes sleeps through breakfast.
Toilets have to pass my 20 YO son's "clog test", and mattresses have to meet the approval of the DW.

HappyCamperMN
04-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Ours is "tolerable" for a couple nights or maybe three. As we are planning a week-long trip this year, it's going to cross over into the intolerable category. We're going to start with a foam mattress topper and see how that goes. Longer term I see a new mattress in our future.

Caveat... part of what makes our mattress only tolerable is that it's a short-queen and not a full 80" queen. At least for me, I would be more comfortable on our "tolerable" mattress if it were a little longer (I'm 6 ft tall and with the sloped "headboard" being comfortable all night can be challenging.

Andymon
04-03-2015, 02:11 PM
We thought we wouldn't like ours but actually it is pretty comfortable. We have a heated mattress pad and that makes it even better!

mcsearch1
04-05-2015, 03:48 PM
One weekend on the original was enough for us. We got a great deal on a memory foam mattress from Overstock.com. They carry various styles and price ranges and shipping is usually free. They carry the short queen if you need that size.

neveser
04-07-2015, 10:52 AM
We haven't had a chance to try ours out yet. It doesn't seem like it's going to be great though. Wife put a foam mattress cover on it. We'll see soon enough if it will pass the test.

rbev2308
04-07-2015, 11:49 AM
I will be honest, I hate mine...They can call it a Cloud Nine or whatever it is but I have had multiple surgeries and 30 yrs in the Navy pounding up and down ladders (steps) and the surfaces we slept on have done me in. I had good success with Sleep Number for a while but now in Latex mattresses and found a great company out in Arizona that really worked with me tweaking my bed at home. Now I am working with them to somewhat resemble that in the 70x80. What I really need to do is pop the drawer out of the nightstand and see how the top of it is mounted whether glue and dowel or screwed from underneath. I may remove it, shave 3 inches off the left side and remount and then no custom size is needed..Key is no one really sleeps on these type of mattresses at home. They may work for a weekend and maybe a week but not all the time...

Agram1
04-07-2015, 12:00 PM
We bought a gel topped memory foam mattress from Sam's Club, had to do some trimming to make it fit. We could only handle one night on the mattress in our 2015 Keystone Hideout... To firm for our liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koko
04-16-2015, 08:28 AM
We love our original mattress.

Hans Jr
04-18-2015, 01:30 AM
Not sure if it was already asked or answered somewhere before. But figured since this is thread about mattresses I might as well ask.

We are getting rid of our condo in June and are putting stuff at the i laws and in storage. We have a queen at home. It's a pretty thick and heavy mattress. My question is, does anyone know the weight limit on mattresses for the bedroom slides? I don't want to over weight it and do damage with that matters but If I can use it I much rather take that then putting it in storage.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

randy69
04-18-2015, 07:51 PM
I think ours better than the rock hard matters in the house.

sourdough
04-19-2015, 08:49 AM
This is a little late into this thread but I'll pose the question here instead of starting a new one.

I thought I liked our mattress (do we love the mattress in our RV) in the TT pretty well but I'm now going on our 3rd month of using it and my back is killing me every day. Thinking I need to do something. We are in a remote area in FL but still within 20-30 miles of Tallahassee.

I'm thinking of going to the closest Walmart and getting a 3-4" memory foam topper BUT I'm not sure about that. In my past years I've slept on "foam" mattresses and they make me sweat. I do not sleep when my backside (or some other side) is leaking water (sweat):) I've noticed some posts from members that use memory foam toppers and full mattresses. Does the memory foam eliminate that problem or is there something that has to be done to fix it? Just looking for some input for my poor aching back:(

Jim Dow
04-19-2015, 02:39 PM
It may not be the mattress you dislike so much.
In our case, we added a memory foam topper; and best of all we added a plywood support completely across the bed frame. The original mattress support was totally inadequate.
Oh what a difference the plywood made. The whole mod costs less than $25.

T3/T4 Hybrid
04-19-2015, 07:07 PM
The stock mattress for the TT was not to either mine or the DW's liking so we replaced it out with a 8" memory foam. After the last trip with the TT, I am doing my best to talk the DW into one for the house. We have the topper but the full mattress is a lot better! :cool:

gtsum2
04-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Our king bed in our new fuzion chrome is horrible. Hard as a rock. Put a four inch memory foam top on it and made it better, but still very subpar compared to our bed at home...but that is to be expected

dwayneb236
04-22-2015, 08:48 AM
Ours was pretty uncomfortable. We dealt it the first trip and then I ordered a 4 inch topper from Overstock. Made a world of difference. Very comfy now.

Rex1vt
04-22-2015, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=sourdough;168593]T leaking water (sweat):) I've noticed some posts from members that use memory foam toppers and full mattresses.

2014 327
RES Cougar- We bought a full size pillow top at Rooms To Go and set it on a full size piece of 3" foam, so comfortable it is scary.

BirchyBoy
04-22-2015, 05:24 PM
I tried to look at mattresses today at Camping World. Would it be too much to ask for them to have full-size beds that someone can lay on? The little 12" x 12" sample isn't good enough, particularly when it isn't returnable as soon as the box is opened.

BirchyBoy
05-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Have to agree, the usual mattresses that come with most RV's are pretty bad. Several TT's ago, the mattress that came with the trailer was just a covered 4" foam pad. We went and bought a new one from a place, "VERLO", that will make the mattress as Firm or Soft as you prefer, and in any size, and it was great. A few years later, we we upgraded our TT to a newer model, we took the mattress from our old TT to the new one - I'm sure the dealer liked that, since they could say the used TT had a 'new' mattress, still in the plastic bag.

In our current FW, we were also planning on doing the same, and getting a new mattress, but noticed the mattress was a good quality mattress, and in talking with the salesman, he said their dealership always upgrades the mattresses on all the better RV's. He said the cost that way was fairly low, and generally appreciated by most customers.

I've spent to much time calling mattress stores. The last one paid off yesterday. The guy said there was a company in Longmont, CO that can custom make them. Turns out is Verlo. Went and laid on 3 of them about 30 times tonight and ordered a V3 Plush. It's being built and will be ready for Memorial Day weekend :)

Was more than I wanted to spend but it's going to be worth it.

ljp
05-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Surprisingly, we have found the mattress that came with our Passport 195RB very comfortable. It's nothing to look at but then again it's not made for looks. Each time out we find ourselves commenting how well we slept during our trips.