PDA

View Full Version : Different weight question. Carrying capacity

GMcKenzie
03-29-2015, 07:07 AM
So I was going over my weights from the one time I managed to find an open scale, and I am well under on everything except the trailer weight.

Trailer specs are 6,762 dry with 1438 carrying capacity for 8,200 loaded trailer weight.

I was at 8,576. 7,672 on the axles and 904 on the truck. So over by ~400.

I'm well under my 12,000 hitch rating and my combined was 16,491, well under the 22,000 combined for my truck. Trailer axles are 4,500 each.

How much of an issue is this?

TAZ23
03-29-2015, 09:50 AM
One of the things I would check is the tire weight ratings (on the side wall of the tire) If the axles are rated for 4500 but the tires are rated for say 1800 then your realistic axle rating would only be 3600. (1800X2).
Your tires will need to be rated for a minimum of 2250 each to get you to 4500 lbs per axle.

CWtheMan
03-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Item #8 in the reference provided below should be part of prospective buyers things to consider list.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq%20site/pages/page4.html#Anchor-42392

CW

KanTC
03-31-2015, 10:18 AM
GMcKenzie,

The 8,576 lbs you stated for the scaled trailer weight -- was that loaded & ready for travel? Any fluids in the fresh/gray/black holding tanks?

How much of an issue is this?

Ummm... at least 376 lbs?? ;) All kidding aside though...

Your trailer is a 1/2 ton (west coast) model, and only designed/constructed to carry a maximum of "1438" lbs, as per the manufacturer. Lighter construction (& lower capacities) is very common & necessary on the light weight lines/brands. You already have 376 lbs too much *stuff* (weight), in the trailer, and by the time you add yourself/family members [clothes, food?], it will be "even more" over & above that Carrying Capacity limit.

Here's a common definition for RV Cargo/Carrying Capacity: The maximum permissible weight that can be carried by the unit. This includes all passengers, any/all cargo, personal items, food, LP gas, tools, fluids, factory installed options and dealer installed accessories.

Will overloading the trailer on a regular basis cause problems...? Granted I'm not an engineer, but I'd think over time it would - the manufacturer sets that cargo limit for a reason. Given what we already know about axle/tire ratings (& etc) on trailers & 5th wheels, I highly doubt that RV manufacturers build-in a fudge factor for the cargo weight allowance.

Your truck weights are not the issue... your cargo weight probably is. Just some food for thought, and my 2 cents, of course.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Dave-Gray
03-31-2015, 05:41 PM
Yes, overloading is a significant issue with RVs. The question is: which component are you exceeding the rating? It could be the tires, it could be the rims, it could be the tires and the rims, or it could be the springs. No matter what it is, you are running a risk of catastrophic failure over time.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
03-31-2015, 07:50 PM
Round it up to 400 lbs over. That if divided by 4 would only be 100 over per tire/wheel. Except I doubt the weight is equal. One tire or one side could be way over. I would go back and get the weight of each tire/wheel and read the tire ratings. Than decide what to do if anything about the over weight.