PDA

View Full Version : New from Austin, TX

mamawildbear
03-25-2015, 12:13 AM
Hey all,

I've posted a few things already and you all have been so helpful. I hadn't actually gotten around to introduce myself. We've been camping with our kids since our youngest was 18 months and sleeping in a playpen in the tent. We did that for 6 years and then bought a used Coleman Niagara popup camper. I actually LOVED the popup! Like being in a tent and REALLY camping. Loved the outdoor sounds, loved the wind against the canvas, loved opening up all the windows and just looking out through the mesh at the scenery. Plus it was super spacious inside and had all the amenities, cooking, shower, bathroom, A/C, etc.

What I didn't love was the setup and take down. We camped in it 12 trips a year for 5 years and the hour plus it took to erect it and pack it up got old. Plus with a son in middle school band and almost to high school we were leaving later and later, often picking him up at 5:45 on the way to the campground and arriving in the dark and having to do all that setup. Nowadays I'm also working Sunday afternoons so we'd be up first thing in the morning and starting the packing up process. EVERYTHING had to be squirreled away below waist level to fold down the top.

So Nov 1st we got our new travel trailer and although I miss the living conditions of the PUP, the setup and take down procedure is SO SO SO easy now. Just for spring break we picked up the boy from band rehearsal, got detoured with a trip to urgent care for him, and ended up arriving at the campground at 1:30am. Didn't even unhook or level, just hooked up power and water and within 10 minutes we were cozy inside. I love that I can come home from the grocery store and the food goes straight from trunk of car to refrigerator and pantry in the RV. Convenience trumps all. We've done 6 campgrounds so far in it and it's been great.

Here is our travel log (same slideshow I posted in another thread)Camping Log Slideshow (http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/mamawildbear/slideshow/2015%20Travel%20Trailer/The%20Jolly%20Roger%20Captains%20Log)

cabinfever
03-25-2015, 05:32 AM
Welcome and enjoy the Springdale. You have gotten off to a great start this spring. The last of the snow on our Springdale just melted off this week.

PARAPTOR
03-25-2015, 06:26 AM
:wlcm: to the Forum From Western PA.

YES, YES, I think? snow is gone and now we are into another phase RAIN

Be Safe and Happy Camping "bouncey:

Texascoastalfish
03-25-2015, 06:49 AM
Welcome from down the road a bit !
Do you do much hill Country camping ?

sourdough
03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
:wlcm: to the forum from another Texan. Pop ups are wonderful but I think you will find, as we did, that as we got older the amenities of a full size trailer are welcome.

koko
03-25-2015, 10:24 AM
Your description of the pop-up with the wind coming through all those windows and the feel of a tent but off the ground really brings back some great memories, but we abandoned the pop-up back in 1986 and never looked back. Our son owned one for four years and has also moved on to a hard side. The deciding factor for him was the night they were forced to set up very late; and although the children were asleep and they tried to be very quiet, their next door camper let them know in colorful metaphors how angry he was with the sound of their cranking.