PDA

View Full Version : Gas grills getting stolen?

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 07:17 AM
We plan to keep our camper in a monthly spot and will have our Weber gas grill with us. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the grill stolen or if it's something I don't need to worry about? These things run just under $1000 so it's a bit of an investment for us and we don't want it to walk off while were away from the camping area.

Our camper does have a "toy lock", does anyone use this to lock up there grill and propane tank?

Thanks, were just camper noobs and I didn't see anything using the search feature .

Desert185
03-24-2015, 07:53 AM
What kind of a camper-compatible Weber grill is $1000?

{tpc}
03-24-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm not sure what exactly a "toy lock" is. I will say that ours has underneath storage with the standard lock that seems to come with all campers. That said, if there was something I was truly worried about, I might not leave it in there. But thieves have no boundary and if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I've thought of replacing this lock, but even with a replacement, the right tool could get past it anyways, likely with more damage to the trailer.

I don't have a weber grill however. Seems a pricey model to bring camping, but now I re-read that you have a monthly spot, so I understand. You may want to inquire with your neighbors first, prior to doing this. Most grills contain lots of metal, metal which can likely be scrapped. But i would guess your not the only one doing this, so asking others in the same CG would likely help.

For a grill as nice as that, if it were me, I'd find a nice spot to chain it to, and then some sort of cover that I could tie at the bottom and run some sort of cable through to chain that as well. You could still cut a cover open and run away with parts to scrap, but its more time consuming and may be just enough of a deterrent.

desert - I think OP is talking a full size model for his monthly spot.

bmach
03-24-2015, 08:40 AM
My guess it is not a table top model but a full size grill. I would at least chain it to something if concerned about it.

GmaPaTime
03-24-2015, 08:57 AM
I chain ours only when we leave for most of the day. We have not had any problems as most campers watch out for their neighbors. I do believe though that locks are only for the honest folks and crooks will do anything to get what they want no matter what you do.

So, do what can but don't let it destroy your camping. :)

GaryWT
03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
When we were seasonal we had a full size grill but not a Weber and never had an issue. Our smaller things we put away when we went home. We even left it out under a tarp for the winter. If you are worried as you will not know the campground at first, chain it to a tree or the camper and you should be fine. With it unlocked, the only issue you might have is bored kids at night or something but most likely there will not be any issues

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 09:06 AM
What kind of a camper-compatible Weber grill is $1000?

We plan to spend the whole summer at the camp ground and will take our full size weber gas grill with us.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_333222-505-6570001_4294705569__?productId=3316740&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure what exactly a "toy lock" is. I will say that ours has underneath storage with the standard lock that seems to come with all campers. That said, if there was something I was truly worried about, I might not leave it in there. But thieves have no boundary and if they want it bad enough, they will get it.

I've thought of replacing this lock, but even with a replacement, the right tool could get past it anyways, likely with more damage to the trailer.

I don't have a weber grill however. Seems a pricey model to bring camping, but now I re-read that you have a monthly spot, so I understand. You may want to inquire with your neighbors first, prior to doing this. Most grills contain lots of metal, metal which can likely be scrapped. But i would guess your not the only one doing this, so asking others in the same CG would likely help.

For a grill as nice as that, if it were me, I'd find a nice spot to chain it to, and then some sort of cover that I could tie at the bottom and run some sort of cable through to chain that as well. You could still cut a cover open and run away with parts to scrap, but its more time consuming and may be just enough of a deterrent.

desert - I think OP is talking a full size model for his monthly spot.

These might be toy hauler specific?

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 09:16 AM
This will be our first time trailer camping in 30 years, I use to all the time as a kid. We tent and use the cabins when we go on motorcycle road trips, but staying for more than a couple nights is new to us and I'm trying to avoid any mishaps. I'll secure it to the camper with the toylok and worse case might just end up getting a cheaper grill to keep at the camp ground.

Desert185
03-24-2015, 12:48 PM
I'll secure it to the camper with the toylok and worse case might just end up getting a cheaper grill to keep at the camp ground.

I've been a Weber fan for a lot of years, but apparently never an aficionado with a $1000 grill. :)

If you go smaller, the Q is the ticket! :thumbsup:

JRTJH
03-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Depending on the rules at your site and the availability of space, you might want to consider a metal storage building to erect behind your trailer. It would give you a place to store not only the grill, but also chairs, cushions, and other items you wouldn't want to leave outside and that get too dirty or are too bulky to store in the trailer when you're not there.

Here's one example from Lowes that's less than $350: http://www.lowes.com/pd_274588-25-LW108FB_4294612524__?productId=3125499&Ntt=outdoor+storage+building&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_price%7C0%26Ntt%3Dout door%2Bstorage%2Bbuilding%26page%3D1&facetInfo=

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
I've been a Weber fan for a lot of years, but apparently never an aficionado with a $1000 grill. :)

If you go smaller, the Q is the ticket! :thumbsup:

Damn, the weber Q 2 burner is $400! If we get a separate grill for the camp ground I'm thinking a $200 cheapo walmart grill that I won't have to worry if someone else wants it more than I do.

Our expensive one was a retirement gift from the inlaws, no way I was turning it down!

Ken / Claudia
03-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Anything can be stolen. Here's what I would rate the odds on of a theft. Is the park open to public. That will allow local crooks to drive thru and look for stuff to steal. If not that is better. Is that a toy hauler, if it is I would put it inside every time I left. If someone breaks in, more than the BBQ will be taken. A storage shed at the site would be helpful, not burglar proof but much better than leaving it out.

Desert185
03-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Damn, the weber Q 2 burner is $400! If we get a separate grill for the camp ground I'm thinking a $200 cheapo walmart grill that I won't have to worry if someone else wants it more than I do.

Our expensive one was a retirement gift from the inlaws, no way I was turning it down!

The Weber Q 2200 is currently $250. My bro-in-law just bought one.

bato3500
03-24-2015, 08:46 PM
Gas grill $1,000.00. Four foot chain and a pad lock $19.00. You do the math. I usually do not worry about camping buddies. We all watch out for each other. Its the guests and once a year crowd I worry about.

hankaye
03-25-2015, 07:22 AM
hdrolling, Howdy;

We plan to keep our camper in a monthly spot and will have our Weber gas grill with us. Just wondering if anyone has ever had the grill stolen or if it's something I don't need to worry about? These things run just under $1000 so it's a bit of an investment for us and we don't want it to walk off while were away from the camping area.

Our camper does have a "toy lock", does anyone use this to lock up there grill and propane tank?

Thanks, were just camper noobs and I didn't see anything using the search feature .

I noticed that in your signature you mention that you have a Toy Hauler,
a 2015 Raptor 332TS 38', why not roll it inside when you go back home ?
Outa sight, outa mind ... just a suggestion.

hankaye

hdrolling
03-25-2015, 08:51 AM
hdrolling, Howdy;

I noticed that in your signature you mention that you have a Toy Hauler,
a 2015 Raptor 332TS 38', why not roll it inside when you go back home ?
Outa sight, outa mind ... just a suggestion.

hankaye

That's probably what would happen the first few weeks going back and forth, but from the sounds of it it's really not going to be an issue from most's experience. And for at least now the camper will be in the monthly area which is separate from the overnight weekly area, once I get a feel for my neighbors I bet I'll be more comfortable.

Until now I've only tent camped while on my motorcycle out on road trips or to bike rallies, and you have to secure everything at all times or it will be gone! Here's our typical site:
Spearfish SD
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165350_0_825c1b635a8311d44af4872823952325.jpg
Lake Tahoe CA
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165350_1_79d8083a1c2e3be171715d933f9c9b77.jpg
Mt St Helens
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165350_2_44bd74a6c4e879408fd99fe286e5dc53.jpg

Desert185
03-25-2015, 10:14 AM
That's probably what would happen the first few weeks going back and forth, but from the sounds of it it's really not going to be an issue from most's experience. And for at least now the camper will be in the monthly area which is separate from the overnight weekly area, once I get a feel for my neighbors I bet I'll be more comfortable.

Until now I've only tent camped while on my motorcycle out on road trips or to bike rallies, and you have to secure everything at all times or it will be gone! Here's our typical site:
Spearfish SD
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165368_0_825c1b635a8311d44af4872823952325.jpg
Lake Tahoe CA
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165368_1_79d8083a1c2e3be171715d933f9c9b77.jpg
Mt St Helens
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165368_2_44bd74a6c4e879408fd99fe286e5dc53.jpg

I remember camping like that. In fact, I'm doing more of it during a weekend in April even though I now much prefer the comfort of our SRX.

Ref loading the BBQ in the garage when you're gone, I've found some sites configured that didn't allow opening the garage ramp while parked in the site. Good suggestion, though, if the site allows it. I always try to get a pull through if available.

You're going to like the TH after tent camping.

Ex-Army myself, but not anything close to 22 years.

Zapper
03-29-2015, 12:06 PM
How about rolling the Weber in the garage?

hdrolling
03-29-2015, 03:56 PM
How about rolling the Weber in the garage?

Zapper that is a thought but the garage has two beds with the bottom one being our dining room table as well, so my thing is after wheeling that heavy grill up and down the ramp every time we want to go into town or need to run back to the house would get old real quick. I'm really looking at getting a cheaper weber grill like mentioned by others and just leave the big one at home safe. I was thinking long term of all the company I might have to cook for and how nice it would be having the bigger grill but now thinking about it that might not happen as much as I envision. I grill 4 out of 7 days a week and any times twice a day.

gregrc75
03-31-2015, 06:03 AM
These might be toy hauler specific?

I have the Toy Lock on my Premier and use it for bikes or whatever else.
I was never seasonal but I did leave my trailer set up for 6 weeks for 2 summers at a campground. I never had a problem but throwing the toy lock through the grill wouldn't hurt!

byrdr1
03-31-2015, 06:25 AM
That nice a grill would be locked to a large tree. BUT as you said a cheaper wally world for the campsite would be just as good. BUT still chain it down.
Where you thinking of summering? if you don't mind telling close to your house to run home. I am trying to think of camping spots around the Fayetteville area.
You know you have a great spot down in Tabor City,NC Yogi Bear at Daddy Joe's campground. Greet place if you kids. That would be a close place for several weekends once you are traveling while camping weekends are for kids and BIG kids too.

Andymon
04-03-2015, 02:15 PM
We had our Coleman grill stolen at the Port of Brookings Beachfront RV park a couple of years ago. They also stole some coolers and chairs from other rv'ers.

Pull Toy
04-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Locks keep honest people honest!

If in doughty , how tough is it to put it away?

My 30 year + camping experience has been...... Leave beer outside.... it's gone! The other stuff remains!

hdrolling
04-04-2015, 06:11 AM
Well I broke down and bought a weber 1200 grill that fits inside my storage so I can easily secure it, problem solved!

Thanks everyone.

Desert185
04-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Excellent! You won't be disappointed. :thumbsup:

14george
04-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Leave my grill out and chairs never been taken

mikell
04-08-2015, 08:30 AM
A couple of years ago we had issues at a park we were at for about 6 months. We were warned by the neighbor as we set up. I put a couple of game cameras in the window and got pictures of the kid trying to get our bikes that were well chained up. Police would do nothing park owners could care less so we made wanted posters and put them up everywhere. They crawled under the fence by pushing on it so everybody put their dog and cat poo there from then on.

Desert185
04-08-2015, 09:06 AM
A couple of years ago we had issues at a park we were at for about 6 months. We were warned by the neighbor as we set up. I put a couple of game cameras in the window and got pictures of the kid trying to get our bikes that were well chained up. Police would do nothing park owners could care less so we made wanted posters and put them up everywhere. They crawled under the fence by pushing on it so everybody put their dog and cat poo there from then on.

:)

Justice and prevention can take many forms. I despise thieves.

Ken / Claudia
04-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Using alittle sticky wheel grease applied on areas where people go thru/over or under is a way fish/wildlife helps keep people out of where they post no trespassing signs. And is real funny when checking the area and people had grease all over their hands and pants. I asked where were you? Ho just over there we never climbed the fence. Yea right, here's your ticket. They only went that way once.

crash
04-09-2015, 04:32 AM
It sucks we go camping to have fun and enjoy ourselves and we have to worry about our thing growing legs and walking away .That REALLY makes me hot under the collar.Sorry to vent :D

GMcKenzie
04-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Think I might leave my old one at the campsite this year.

Might save me from taking it to the dump.

rschad
04-16-2015, 08:23 PM
perhaps this is more common in seasonal sites but really lets not get paranoid.
I have been in campgrounds for many years both in the US and Canada and have never had anything stolen. Quite the opposite, people have always been friendly and helpful.

Don't ruin your holiday with worries that likely aren't founded, enjoy the experience and if once in many years you lose a 300 dollar grill, look at it as a chance to get a new one.