PDA

View Full Version : Women who pull?

mamawildbear
03-23-2015, 10:31 AM
We camp with several friends and none of the wives will drive the TV. This seems to be very common and it is quite a shame.

We started out with a popup camper in 2009 and I was even the first person to drive it because hubby was at work and I needed to get it to the trailer shop for new brakes. I confess I did call the neighbor who came over and said, "oh do you need me to hook it up." And I said, "No, you need to hook it up and drive it to the service place." He did and luckily he spoke redneck fluently so he was able to communicate with the geezers at Magnum Trailer for me. But later I bit the bullet and went to pick it up myself. So my very first attempt, I have to exit the place turning left onto HWY 620 in Austin, which is hugely busy. I made it though and after about 6 failed attempts of trying to get that thing into the garage and jackknifing multiple times, my neighbor came back out and taught me how to back up with a trailer.

The nice thing is I've been able to take the kids camping when hubby is not available, stay longer at campgrounds when he has to go back to work, etc. My friends can't go camping if their hubbies aren't available. I think that's a shame.

This new trailer (26 foot Springdale 260LE) was super scary though and the more my hubby drove it, the less inclined I was to do it. I finally decided now or never so I drove home from our 4th trip. And poor hubby doesn't like driving after dark so on our way to spring break last week, I took the night shift. Backing up into the campsite at 1:30 in the morning was pretty hairy because I couldn't see a thing but he got out and directed and I just went on faith. Now either one of us can drive it which is a comfort in the event of an emergency or if one person gets sick. I think every adult in the family should know how to tow the trailer.

Let's hear from the ladies who pull or the guys with wives that pull.

Quad
03-23-2015, 01:19 PM
My wife pulls our Laredo 5th wheel with our Dually. She's got pretty good over the past couple years. I now am comfortable even catching some Zzzzzz on those long through the night drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaryWT
03-23-2015, 01:24 PM
We have been camping for 25 years from pop ups being towed buy a minivan to now a 35 foot TT being towed by a 350 crew cab. My wife has not towed one inch. She has never even driven any of the 4 trucks I have had through the years. She has never been involved in the outside set up, leveling, opening the pop up or anything. She sets up the inside.

That said, the last year or two, when I was sick or when it is just the 2 of use, she will do the corner jacks or will pull the truck forward 2 feet when unhooking.

I do not mind though, I love to drive and hate being the passenger with most anyone. We just took a 1,600 mile trip without towing and I drove the first 1,500 miles and my son did the last 100. Being in the car for 27 hours over a 52 hour period is tough.

Anyway, I know a lot of woman tow and camp but I think our trailer would either be sold or be put on a seasonal site if I could no longer drive.

chuckster57
03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
I've been trying for over 15 years to get the DW to drive. She won't even drive just the truck, let alone with a fiver hooked on.

I have threatened to pull over and get out until she slides over into the drivers seat... Notice I said threatened.

murphysranch
03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
I drive our Ram and Laredo - gives honey a break so he can snooze a bit. I've gotten used to the big trucks wiggling my rig.

Also, most importantly, I'm the BEST backer upper in the family. DH struggles and no amount of swearing fixes his attempts....:p

Hansel
03-23-2015, 02:24 PM
My wife will not drive my truck with the camper hooked up, but she will drive the truck by itself. I'm fine with that, now my daughter on the other hand drove the truck one time with the camper, I was showing her how too back up when the transmission broke:eek: so I pick on her about breaking my truck the one time I let he drive it with the camper. She is willing too learn and I might just let her try again, and I have a newly rebuilt transmission in this truck so no worries there.

14george
03-23-2015, 02:47 PM
We camp with several friends and none of the wives will drive the TV. This seems to be very common and it is quite a shame.

We started out with a popup camper in 2009 and I was even the first person to drive it because hubby was at work and I needed to get it to the trailer shop for new brakes. I confess I did call the neighbor who came over and said, "oh do you need me to hook it up." And I said, "No, you need to hook it up and drive it to the service place." He did and luckily he spoke redneck fluently so he was able to communicate with the geezers at Magnum Trailer for me. But later I bit the bullet and went to pick it up myself. So my very first attempt, I have to exit the place turning left onto HWY 620 in Austin, which is hugely busy. I made it though and after about 6 failed attempts of trying to get that thing into the garage and jackknifing multiple times, my neighbor came back out and taught me how to back up with a trailer.

The nice thing is I've been able to take the kids camping when hubby is not available, stay longer at campgrounds when he has to go back to work, etc. My friends can't go camping if their hubbies aren't available. I think that's a shame.

This new trailer (26 foot Springdale 260LE) was super scary though and the more my hubby drove it, the less inclined I was to do it. I finally decided now or never so I drove home from our 4th trip. And poor hubby doesn't like driving after dark so on our way to spring break last week, I took the night shift. Backing up into the campsite at 1:30 in the morning was pretty hairy because I couldn't see a thing but he got out and directed and I just went on faith. Now either one of us can drive it which is a comfort in the event of an emergency or if one person gets sick. I think every adult in the family should know how to tow the trailer.

Let's hear from the ladies who pull or the guys with wives that pull.

My wife towed ours on a busy interstate 24 ft wilderness first time I was a little nervy but I got over it

GMcKenzie
03-23-2015, 03:04 PM
I wish.

I could nap and be rested when going to set up. But not going to happen.

Festus2
03-23-2015, 03:22 PM
In a perfect world, both adults, husband and wife, should be able to not only pull the RV but also to maneuver it. This is especially important, as you pointed out, in cases of emergency or when the husband or principal driver gets sick and is unable to operate the vehicle.

But alas, we don't live in a perfect world. Many women, and especially "seniors" are not at all comfortable with this and are just too nervous and "afraid" to learn. I would not want anyone - man or woman - who is that nervous and uncomfortable behind the wheel pulling my 5th wheel on some busy Interstate 8 lane highway. While it may be true that "you are never too old to learn" the older one gets the less confident one becomes and less likely to take risks - including pulling an RV.

While you may be totally at ease and comfortable doing what you are doing, there are many women who would not be. They are quite fine with the husband driving and have no desire whatsoever to get behind the wheel. In my case, my wife could, take over and do just fine along a "quiet" interstate (if there is such a thing) or in an emergency. But she would rather just let me do the driving - we are both happy with that - and there is no "shame" involved.

Albert
03-23-2015, 04:03 PM
My wife drives often, she calls it "driving mister lazy"

wahoonc
03-23-2015, 04:24 PM
I have friend of mine that shows cattle for fun, she can drive from NC to Montana and back with a load of 1800+# show beasts in a big goose neck rig. But can't back it up to save her life.

My wife knows what needs to be done, but isn't comfortable towing at this point. I think eventually she will learn, but she and the dog would rather sleep while I drive.

Aaron:cool:

vampress_me
03-23-2015, 05:34 PM
I drive our truck and whatever happens to be hooked up behind it. In fact, I'm the only one who has driven our truck pulling the camper since we got the camper last spring. I'm thinking this summer I have to let my DH drive on at least one trip, or he may get grumpy. :)

My DH works out of state most weeks, home on weekends, so I'm pretty self-reliant if I want to do something with the truck/trailers and tractor on our little "farm". And I've taught the kids to help "spot" when I'm backing the camper up in its parking spot next to the house since the fifth wheel is harder than any bumper-pull trailer to back up for me. The only thing we haven't figured out yet is how to pick DH up at MSP airport, due to the height of the camper, on our way down to the favorite campground in southern MN. But, this summer the kids and I are off on a camping adventure to upstate NY where DH is working to spent a week or so with him there. We can't wait!

C130
03-23-2015, 05:37 PM
My wife wouldn't even think about puling our 5th wheel and so far she hasn't driven my new dually. She would occasionally drive the F250 a short distance but she has no desire to drive the F450 which is fine with me. I'm beyond anal so guess she's smart enough to not want to hear me constantly critique her and I don't blame her. Plus, pilots are control freaks and she knows me way too well after 18 years. Of course there's one dent in our toy hauler and I did it so she's never going to let me forget it either. I let the front of the toy hauler down and hit the very edge of my son's bag and it crinkled the side panel a little. Of course I blamed my son for leaving his bag there.

jtyphoid
03-23-2015, 07:17 PM
My DW prefers to have me drive, but she agreed that she needed to be able to handle the trailer in an emergency so she learned how.

Her being relatively comfortable with it has come in handy several times.

Desert185
03-23-2015, 10:37 PM
The wife and I tag team drove a motorhome from Calif to Alaska a few years back. I would sleep while she drove and vice versa as we were time limited requiring long days on the road. She's a good driver, but backing a trailer isn't in her bags of tricks. Our current TV is a stick. She has bad hips, so she's relegated to co-pilot status, regardless.

wahoonc
03-24-2015, 02:41 AM
I drive our truck and whatever happens to be hooked up behind it. In fact, I'm the only one who has driven our truck pulling the camper since we got the camper last spring. I'm thinking this summer I have to let my DH drive on at least one trip, or he may get grumpy. :)

My DH works out of state most weeks, home on weekends, so I'm pretty self-reliant if I want to do something with the truck/trailers and tractor on our little "farm". And I've taught the kids to help "spot" when I'm backing the camper up in its parking spot next to the house since the fifth wheel is harder than any bumper-pull trailer to back up for me. The only thing we haven't figured out yet is how to pick DH up at MSP airport, due to the height of the camper, on our way down to the favorite campground in southern MN. But, this summer the kids and I are off on a camping adventure to upstate NY where DH is working to spent a week or so with him there. We can't wait!

Have him take a shuttle bus to an outlying parking lot! Been there done that, my bride is a Sr Flight Attendant and I have hauled the camper to one of the outer lots at the airport and parked on the road and waited for her to come back from a trip. And in a few cases she has flown to an airport along the route.:D

Ken / Claudia
03-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Going on 18 years together, 6 pickups, 3 boats, several rvs. DW refuses to drive any truck or boat. She loves rving and fishing/boating and stays in camp while hunting so, I gave up trying to get her to drive anything but, her explorer or camry. To late to take her back and get another who will drive.

Biff
03-25-2015, 10:25 AM
I am a 53 year old female and I drive a 2013 Ford F-150 and I am the tower of a 32 foot Keystone Passport. My Dad taught me to back up I still need his advise but I think we do pretty good.

vampress_me
03-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Have him take a shuttle bus to an outlying parking lot! Been there done that, my bride is a Sr Flight Attendant and I have hauled the camper to one of the outer lots at the airport and parked on the road and waited for her to come back from a trip. And in a few cases she has flown to an airport along the route.:D

Thank you for the idea! It's funny because the smaller airports seem to be more friendly to larger vehicles, just not MSP. Something about the airport being squished in the middle of a city or something. :)

wahoonc
03-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Thank you for the idea! It's funny because the smaller airports seem to be more friendly to larger vehicles, just not MSP. Something about the airport being squished in the middle of a city or something. :)

Yep... we prefer the small commuter type airports over the big ones for just that reason.

Dutch & Di
03-28-2015, 09:48 PM
When we started out RV'ing 19 years ago we each had a "must do". Dutch's was that we golf 3 times a week {no problem there} & mine was that I drive every 2 hours {he had no problem with that}. So here we are all these years later still pulling our 38 footer and we both still enjoy driving and spelling each other. As Dutch has said many times, when you're driving you can look but can't really see what you are traveling thru. Another bonus is that when has had to have surgery "wherever" we weren't stuck there until he could drive again. I just head us to our next destination. The biggest bonus is that we are never tired when we settle in for the night be it a short or long day because one of us hasn't spent the entire day behind the wheel. Once we set up, we never have to decline a spontaneous invitation because we are ready to go.
I have heard that some women don't drive, not because they don't want to but because of the hubby's reaction while they are behind the wheel. To that I say "get over it. We've had to bite our tongue when you were driving at times too". Hugs. Di

TomHaycraft
03-29-2015, 02:33 AM
Would love for my DW to pick up some of the driving when we camp. Doesn't look like it will happen any time soon. When driving about town without the trailer (my truck or her CX-9), she's a great driver and I'm comfortable enough to say, maybe better than me. She'd do a great drive pulling the trailer, but I can't convince her of that. So, we plan driving days to be consistent with the miles / hours I can pull in a day.

lspajm
03-29-2015, 04:06 AM
What is your dw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chuckster57
03-29-2015, 04:13 AM
What is your dw?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DW is either dear wife or Darling wife.

Dutch & Di
03-31-2015, 11:08 AM
Just curious.
Have you ever had a "sit down" chat with her about driving? Some women are hesitant because they feel their DH's will "be on them" all the time if they drive & it is hard to want to do something feeling like that.
Have you explained how she could start out on dual highways so she won't have to worry about passing someone? Mention that she can start out with a half an hour drive in the beginning and that she would not have to pull into a campground or back in, in the beginning or never.
Tell he she can drive 55 mph if she likes {we only drive 56 because we're never in a hurry}. Trying to get into something new AND driving 65 can be a bit intimidating.
Remind her that with her sharing the driving; you will be more refreshed and more likely to want to do something when you arrive at a campground. A good reminder too is that you are both out there to see/enjoy the scenery you are driving through and with you doing all the driving, you can glance but not really see our beautiful country.
Another good point is that if you have surgery or are sick, you are not stuck where you are until you recover; she can take over until you can drive again.
Does she drive at home? Does she like to? It's just a bigger vehicle. I have also met women who did not drive until they went to an RV driving school and now just love it.
We did not have to have this "chat" because we both love to drive and spell each other.
These are just suggestions and I hope they may be of benefit to you. Hugs, Di
Would love for my DW to pick up some of the driving when we camp. Doesn't look like it will happen any time soon. When driving about town without the trailer (my truck or her CX-9), she's a great driver and I'm comfortable enough to say, maybe better than me. She'd do a great drive pulling the trailer, but I can't convince her of that. So, we plan driving days to be consistent with the miles / hours I can pull in a day.

bexparza
03-31-2015, 11:28 AM
My wife and I do quite a bit of traveling with out Laredo 314RE travel trailer and Silverado 3500 Dually tow vehicle. I have progressive Dementia so my wife does all the driving. She is always telling me that she worried about hitting something. The last trip we were on she mentioned she needed some groceries, so she whipped into a Walmart and just went whipping up and down the parking lot. I was speechless and wondering what happened to all that worry. In June we leave for Colorado, from Arizona, and then on to Oregon from Colorado. I'm sure she'll do a great job as always.

mamawildbear
04-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I have heard that some women don't drive, not because they don't want to but because of the hubby's reaction while they are behind the wheel. To that I say "get over it. We've had to bite our tongue when you were driving at times too". Hugs. Di

HA! So I had one practice drive home from a nearby trip then for our big Spring Break trip we were a couple hours in and it was my turn to drive. (This is after 5 years of pulling our popup many times.) I get behind the wheel and my husband gets a crazy look in his eyes, whips around and starts shouting at the kids, "Get your seatbelts on right away! Oh they're on? Well there not tight enough. Now get those tight! And make sure they are on your shoulders! And don't slouch!" Translation > "Hold on kids, your mother is about to kill you with her lousy driving!"

Excuse me???? And what kind of driving was he suddenly expecting from me? He did not give that rabid speech when he started out on the trip. Exactly Di! He should GET OVER IT! At least I can change the radio station without driving off the road. He can't stop his hands from following each other so if he reaches for the radio with his right hand, his left hand goes with it and the car heads for the shoulder of the road.

He is a great driver and personally, I would rather read my books or sleep but hello? Confidence in your wife much?

Festus2
04-03-2015, 01:48 PM
He should GET OVER IT! At least I can change the radio station without driving off the road. He can't stop his hands from following each other so if he reaches for the radio with his right hand, his left hand goes with it and the car heads for the shoulder of the road.

He is a great driver and personally, I would rather read my books or sleep but hello? Confidence in your wife much?

Maybe we should all "get over it" and let the person, the husband or the wife, who is willing, confident and capable of pulling the RV to do just that. Take turns if it makes you both happy. Alternating drivers may provide a much-needed break for whoever has been behind the wheel and who can now relax and listen to The Eagles "Get Over It" or perhaps the Beatles "We Can Work it Out".

I think we may need to call upon the services of Dr. Phil to mediate here. :rolleyes:

TomHaycraft
04-04-2015, 04:23 AM
Just curious.
Have you ever had a "sit down" chat with her about driving? Some women are hesitant because they feel their DH's will "be on them" all the time if they drive & it is hard to want to do something feeling like that.

Oh, we have! In fact, a bit earlier this morning, I referenced a thread about TV/TT Accidents and someone who posted about their wife's "alters" about things she sees up the street. She (we!) could relate.

Now seeing this thread has continued, I brought up this topic again. There is really no discussion, pulling the trailer is just not something she wants to do. I respect that. I love to drive (often think about quitting corporate job and go on the road, maybe get it out of my system!). Getting out of Texas from near Austin is almost a day of driving and with 2 drivers, we could extend our reach.

I'm happy she likes to camp, that is the bottom line.

Barbell
04-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Does anyone know where I can send my wife to learn how to drive and back a trailer? I am old enough to know there is no way I am going to try to teach her.

chuckster57
04-08-2015, 07:53 PM
I know there are lots of driving schools, but I can't say I've heard of one that caters to RV skills.

The best advise I can give you is find a BIG empty parking lot and let her make as many mistakes as she needs to to feel comfortable. Maybe break it up into several shorter sessions, and the stress on both will be greatly reduced.

My wife and I have very different driving styles, and after 20+ years together I have learned to be quiet in the passenger seat. She still won't pull the trailer and I have learned not to broach that subject anymore.

monica4patience
04-09-2015, 07:16 AM
I have pulled pop-up trailers and U-hauls with no problem. Backing in is still a challenge. We all, including kids learned how to set up the camper. This allowed me to take trips with the kids if DH had to work, or even extend our time at the campground if he had to leave.

The greatest was the empowerment I felt when I took the camper to our church's women's Campout! We had that baby parked and up in no time. We had a few minor problems that a woman engineer was able to figure out. I was able to host 5 guests, provide cooking gear, shade, beds off the ground, and lots more.

Our current trailer is on a seasonal lot so no pulling a trailer. We have the winterization and spring opening done professionally. But I know what to do for opening and closing for the season or just short term.

My sister learned over the years to deal with pulling and setting up the trailer. She persisted despite an accident that destroyed their trailer (no injuries). Since her husband passed away she has been forced to be independent. Those early lessons empowered her to sell her condo, buy a motor home and travel from Michigan to Seattle to Phoenix to Texas to Florida and back to Michigan...on her own! She did a trial run to Wisconsin (6hr drive) with her daughter, sister, niece, and mother with no problem.

Ladies, we need to be able to handle life by ourselves if needed due to injury, sickness, or death. pulling the trailer, setting it up, pumping gas, balancing the checkbook, are all life skills we should have.

JRTJH
04-09-2015, 12:43 PM
I have an aunt, now deceased who was an "old spinster" in that she never remarried after her husband was killed in WWII. At age 77, she bought a motorhome. After I taught her how to hook up the utilities, dump the tanks and add diesel fuel, she and one of her "old biddy" friends headed to Alaska. Those two "very senior citizens" made the trip from Louisiana to Alaska and back with few problems. The biggest "hurdle" for them was getting up the courage to "take the plunge." I can honestly say that once they returned, all they could talk about was "where are we going next". Until she was unable to drive and to live alone, that motorhome was a part of her life and her independence. After seeing the joy those trips brought to her, I'd encourage anyone, man or woman, to go for it. The only part of life that should be regretted is the part that you didn't have the courage to do.............

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/trains/bus-ride-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

notanlines
04-09-2015, 02:50 PM
John, Monica Mama, kudos to you all. Being married for 43 years to a former Marine, 25 years fire arms instructor at FCI Memphis, I can relate. We had a 38' Fountain Lightening for 13 years and I probably put the boat on the trailer 10 times or less. She knows that these kinds of things take two and she "totes the load!"

GT2400BH
04-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Does anyone know where I can send my wife to learn how to drive and back a trailer? I am old enough to know there is no way I am going to try to teach her.
Don't focus about the backing part work on just going down the road. After some time in the parking lot. Start her on the interstate on ramp. Find one that's got a nice long run and some miles down the road have one that's got a nice pull off. A rest area can be one. Takes some planning. "bouncey:

vmyoung61
04-09-2015, 03:02 PM
I am the driver in our family. Since I had many years of experience pulling gooseneck horse trailers, hubby is happy to leave it to me. So am I. He makes me nervous. He just retired this past Fall and on our first winter trip, I drove the rig from Arkansas to Florida and he followed in the car. No matter who is driving when we arrive at a site, I do the backing up. We will begin a trip West, as soon as we get the Big Sky back from Keystone, and the car stays behind. I guess we will have to get used to traveling together. LOL

mamawildbear
04-09-2015, 06:38 PM

It can be very stressful to have spouses teach each other things. Driving forward isn't the big deal (watch out for those curbs during turns) but backwards is a challenge. My dad tried to teach his wife how to ski and now they are divorced. :p

My neighbor taught me how to back into my garage with the popup. I had practically crossed the street and down the cul de sac to his house repeatedly trying to back up and jack knifing over and over till he took pity and came out and told me how to do it. Another time also early in our trailer ownership I had to go to the campground early and set up and my husband joined me later. I had a terrible time getting into the spot and some nearby campers helped me out.

Now with a big ole travel trailer behind me, I don't know how I could possibly back up on my own since I can't see. I did it on blind faith with my hubby giving directions as I backed into our pitch black spot at 1am over Spring Break.

Still, all good practice and I imagine we'll be teaching the kids once they start driving (well, maybe not the hauling the trailer down the road part but at least the slow moving backing up part).

B-O-B'03
04-09-2015, 09:56 PM
My wife, of 35 years this May, took our popup one time, when I had to work, to a campground in Arkansas. I was able to come the next day and she had it parked and all setup.

For our new 22RBPR, we are pulling it with her 2013 F150 and I have no doubt she will be capable of pulling and maneuvering it.

I am a complete "drive hog" and usually do all of the driving when we go somewhere, but I have every confidence in her ability - should the need arise ;-)

-Brian

Hamops
05-20-2015, 06:07 PM
My DW has been driving our 5vr since we bought our first one about 13 years ago. I've never had any issue with her driving. I think that it's great that she drives because I get to see the scenery for a change or have a little kip..

bsmith0404
05-21-2015, 04:38 AM
My DW looked at me like I was smoking something when I told her she was pulling the utility trailer home one time. She was nervous, but did a great job. She loved driving her suburban and even my 2500, but when I bought the dually, she said she wasn't going to drive "that truck". Until one day I told her I was tired and needed her to drive (I wasn't really). Now she drives the dually all the time. I think she actually enjoys being one of the biggest vehicles on the road (short lady syndrome). I might get her to tow the car trailer someday, it's only 24', but I know she will NEVER tow the 5er. I'm okay with that, I enjoy driving and with as much towing as I do I often forget that I don't have a trailer behind me at times.

sptddog
05-21-2015, 06:54 AM
Such a fun topic - I drive. Almost all of it, unless I ask DH to drive on a longer trip. Sometimes I make him just to keep him fresh. He does fine for the most part, and he'd be completely competent if I ever left him do it as much as I do. I hauled big GN horse trailers for years, so naturally I had the experience. I really enjoy it, and I liked the challenge of being able to put it where ever I want. I regularly haul alone with 2 kids and the dog. The camping thing was my desire before it was my husband's so he leaves it all to me, including maintenance and stuff as well. That's fine - keeps me independent and confident (and perhaps a bit sassy lol).

I will say to those DW that don't do it often. Become at least comfortable going down the road, don't worry about backing up. I have never, ever pulled into anywhere - campground, horse show, even a gas station where someone hasn't offered to help if I looked perplexed or struggled. I'm not too proud to ask for help. I am quite good at backing in, but there was a time that I wasn't....and I'd try, and they'd coach me, and if I got too frustrated, I'd just get out and hand them the keys lol.

Out of the group that we camp with, there are two women that will haul, and I love it. There have been many times that our husband's have worked, or that we did girls weekends where we hauled ourselves. My 60 year old Mom will also haul, though she's not as good at backing up, she'd manage. She and I take the kids and go on two longer trips a year, and she will do some of the driving, even with the big toy hauler.

Great to see others doing the same, and boys, kudos to you all for encouraging your wives to try and respecting when they truly aren't cut out for it! :)

ncrzrbk
05-21-2015, 01:37 PM
When we got our first fifth wheel SOB, I told my wife she would need to learn to drive the rig. She never hesitated and do pretty well backing up. The hard part is that I love to be in the drivers seat but I know if she needs to drive she can. I think it is important just for the pure sake of an emergency where one of us couldn't drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

crash
05-22-2015, 04:53 AM
My wife drives I started her only on the major highways ,now she has gotten pretty good at it, she pulls the 43ft Raptor like a pro now:D I still do all the major backing though.

dwayneb236
06-10-2015, 12:51 PM
My wife showed interest in wanting to drive so a few weeks back I hooked up the trailer and said get to it. We drove a few miles on residential and highway. I was a bit impressed. She did well. Two weeks ago we went to Oklahoma City to camp for a week. She drove us all the way up there. I was a bit nervous but she didn't flinch. She's got a pretty cool head. Got us there in one piece. Good Job.

She hasn't tried any maneuvering yet. Still got back up lessons to go. I'm sure she can do it. Just practice. Makes my life easier. Not as tiring.

roadglide
06-11-2015, 07:22 PM
My lady said she has no problem pulling ! So this week she will starting driving the LML with the 36 ft Impact .

ncrzrbk
06-12-2015, 03:47 AM
My wife drove us home about 2 hours down the interstate memorial weekend. Had trouble backing in the driveway but no problem putting it into our storage lot. She has no problems and I trust her. Makes life easier knowing two people can drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quad
06-20-2015, 06:04 PM
We just got back from Panama City Beach last night. 1 day before we planned on leaving I climbed on to the floor with my 3 yr old son to play cars. He walked off and then decided to do a flying leap with both knees In to my back. Needless to say I couldn't walk the next morning and still today I am nursing this thing lol it's hurts. But anyway it's nice having someone comfortable with hooking up and towing our camper besides me. I don't think without her help and her driving for 4-5 hrs of our trip that I could have made it with my back hurting. I encourage my wife to learn more and more every time she asks questions.