PDA

View Full Version : Keystone RV Customer Service

rbev2308
03-15-2015, 03:45 AM
Quick question. I recently fired off a letter to Keystone RV after calling their customer service. I wanted to relay numerous concerns with the dealership and RV at the time of PDI. I was told the best way was to send a detailed email and the customer service reps handle to look at, would determine at what level it gets routed. In my letter which was some five pages long, I demanded to have communication with someone in management. At what time should I expect that no one is going to contact me back? It has been a little over a week and nothing but crickets. When I sent emails previously inquiring into a couple of things, got a response within 2-3 days. I understand why none of them name who is in charge of what or give email addresses or phone numbers because they would probably be inundated with correspondence. At least Lippert most likely resolved one main issue and rapidly which was contrary to what I had expected.

14george
03-15-2015, 03:49 AM
Thank You for your service. Served 4 years on Ike

rbev2308
03-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Thanks for yours as well. Last ship before I retired was TRUMAN. Only regret of my 28+ years was no battleship. I tried hard for NEW JERSEY after I left LASALLE in mid-80's. Amphibs were interesting, Destroyers were awesome and the carriers were plain *** fun but they are spoiled now. Son-in-law whines about chow line only open 22 hours a day, tv service in/out and I reminded him on the small boys, you eat 3 times a day during a 90 min span each, our tv was old videos as we have no live satellite...glad its over though!!! Now 2 years away from pulling chocks on the second job and start to enjoy life!!!! Travel safe!

Scttw
03-15-2015, 05:33 AM
Your word "Demanded" might cause someone to pretend they didn't get your e-mail .....

Just saying .....

Best of luck though.

rbev2308
03-15-2015, 05:36 AM
good point. I actually went back and reread and my exact words were I sincerely request someone in a management position call me to discuss further!

JRTJH
03-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Most people, when they receive a "laundry list" tend to put it aside until they have "enough time" to deal with 5 pages of complaints. Your document may well be "at the bottom of the in box" waiting for enough time to even read it without interruption.

Most people find that "short, concise" letters that deal with one or two "priority issues" seem to flow through the complaint section (note I didn't say "customer service section") more efficiently and a little faster than 5 pages of "gripe".

Keystone isn't "government" and it's not "lawyer based" so emails, letters or "documents" that require extra postage to deliver are very likely put in a "when we get enough time" category.

You might want to change your "complaint concept" from "everything, including the kitchen sink" to one of "what's the most important issue." Once you get that resolved, move on to the second most important issue."

Remember, you can't chop down a tree with one axe strike, you can't resolve an "insurmountable list" with one "fell swoop" either.

rbev2308
03-15-2015, 08:39 AM
Let me clarify something before I move on..I contacted Keystone to discuss a customer service issue with a dealer from the PDI. I was directed not to mail a letter but to write an email. It may very well be five pages depending on how it is printed but it is lengthy. The issue is not a laundry list of complaints it is the sequence of events that led up to the delivery and first 48 hours. Without rehashing all the details, the dealer did not state during the walk thru that all the electronics had been stolen, and then replaced with aftermarket cheap crap during my PDI, then during the PDI, statements were made about what was done and corrected only for me to camp and discover it was not done. Yes, some dealers will be more thorough in their walk thru's then others. The main issue was the 6 point auto leveling which something failed in on the first setup. The dealer attempted to rectify by swapping a board but was not aware that the other board was calibrated for a camper with 3 slides vice 4 which made it worse and was unaware how to get Lippert to fix on a weekend. Keystone recommended a thorough detailed sequence of events for everything deemed service related from the PDI viewpoint and asked me to list everything. Only thing actually wrong with the camper itself was the deadbolt failed to lock which was easily fixed and one missing lens cover which was fixed on the spot. The service issues related to ordering of wrong hitch after I had traveled 400 miles amongst other items...My main question was "How long should I expect to wait to hear back from them" Is it a week, a month, ???

You can chop down a tree with one axe swing depending on the tree...

sourdough
03-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Who in Keystone said they wanted a blow by blow that detailed? As John said I imagine the rep, or anyone else, looked at it, eyes glazed over and put it in the "box". I am also assuming you went thru owner relations.

I'm afraid you're going to experience the wonderful world of "we're Keystone, they're an independent dealer"; "we're Keystone, you need to deal with Lippert (etc.etc.etc) since they have their own warranty" (etcetcetc). Remember, the dealerships are autonomous businesses and Keystone has zero say about how they are ran, their policies (or lack of) or what they do. When the dealership misleads you that is between you and them. At least at a Camping World there IS an upper management level that can give direction to a particular dealer; not so with an independent dealer.

You're issues with the non-disclosure of stolen items/wrong replacements is a dealer issue. The failing of the leveling system will probably be Lippert or whoever made it. I'm afraid when someone at Keystone looks at the detailed list and sees it is going to take weeks of communications with various vendors and the dealer, as well as yourself, they will just "shelve" it.

I have dealt with Keystone extensively in the past year. Pages upon pages of emails. Most of the time they are very helpful (particularly with the help of the service manager at the dealership) and other times not so much so (referring to Lippert for example). I have escalated issues to a management level and in my situation he informed me of Keystone's policies and position on the issues....and I went about trying to rectify the issues via an alternative method.

As for your specific question of how long; who knows. It could be a week or more. In my opinion any competent business should respond within a week even if it is to say they are researching...and follow up in that timeframe until the issue is resolved. In your case you need to review your laundry list and identify what was a dealer issue, Keystone issue or one of the other manufacturers issues so you will be prepared.

JRTJH
03-15-2015, 09:35 AM
When I was in upper management, I seldom got in the middle of a "lengthy" battle that I would likely not be able to "win" or "resolve." Especially if I could "fix" one or two of the issues and the rest were "no win for anyone" type complaints about someone I had no control or influence with.

On the surface, this looks like a situation where you're asking Keystone to "interfere" with a contract between you and the dealer (an independent party) about multiple problems after the contract has been signed and the deal closed.

From Keystone management perspective, you've put them in a position where, for example, there were 5 issues and even if they can resolve 4 of them, there's the probability that they will still be "at fault" because they didn't "fix what you identified". So, if I were management at Keystone, I'd direct the customer service rep to contact the dealership, get the "other side of this story" and then have them (not me) write you a factual report of what "you said/they said" and urge you to contact them to reach an agreeable solution. I would make no promises and certainly not tell you what to expect from the dealership. It's a situation where, if this should go to the legal system, Keystone isn't about to get in the middle and wind up being named a litigant in something they had no part in. The smartest thing for them to do, as I said, is to get the dealer's side, document things as they "see them reported" and suggest you and the dealer work toward resolution.

How long that should take? Who knows how fast they get the dealer's report and how much time they can devote to putting it all together. But as I said, with a 5 page letter, when they printed it, your "priority" went down significantly. Any business tends to fix the things they can fix and "study" the things they have little influence over.

And, as big as you have "portrayed this tree" I'd suspect Paul Bunyan would wait until Blue and he were having "good day" to tackle it.

denverpilot
03-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Why not just call them up and ask them who's desk your letter is on and whether they have any answers to it?

Waiting around for a middle manager (read: not a leader and not empowered to make real decisions - just a buffer layer between you and a decision maker) to magically feel like Paul Bunyon or something equally silly, won't get the job done.

larryflew
03-31-2015, 10:27 AM
as an aside I found dealing with Lippert much easier than getting to anyone at Keystone.

340_Formula_S
03-31-2015, 11:02 AM
I agree with John, a more amicable approach may go better at first. You have to remember, your complaint, initially is not with Keystone but with the dealer. You do not want to spread your frustration to your next level of possible help.

CPE
03-31-2015, 05:34 PM
I talked with an older man at Lippert who was overly helpful with a couple questions; he was there years. I asked for one was is the length of travel of the front landing gear? He said 20 inches which I passed to Keystone and they thanked me for the info. I asked about the radio remote relay wiring system which he sent me a diagram, also.

Alpine3100RL2115
04-11-2015, 05:50 AM
Has anyone got Keystone to buy their unit back? Do they have a Legal Dept?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alpine3100RL2115
04-11-2015, 06:00 AM
The highest corporate position I have found is the Manager of Finance/Legal but no one has put attorney after their names, so far! Inspection QA. Also great troubleshooter on most systems all speed ranges. FRANK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ken / Claudia
04-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Ross, I am just thinking this out about time frame. Email gets to a someone, they read it and some point a day or two after send and only if they are not off for some reason. Than if that person was me, I would contact the dealer and speak to the person who is in charge and get there side. That person likely needs to go down thru the ranks and speak to others. Than get back to your contact at Keystone. I can see how getting a answer to solve or fix any problem can take weeks. Again, if that Keystone person was me or maybe you also would send back a email right away saying I got it and am working on it. Customer service should be put 1st but, maybe it is not.?
Thank You for your service to our country. Ken