PDA

View Full Version : TRAILER AID for a 5th wheel

orvlin
03-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Has anyone used a Trailer Aid on a 5th wheel to change a tire if it goes flat. Have saw videos of it working on smaller trailers but not on a 5th wheel (2014 Cougar 327 ) I would like to get rid of my heavy floor jack, for something lighter.

Cindy_N_Gary
03-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Used it last night on my Cougar 26SAB to remove the wheels for tire replacement. Will use it again tonight to do another pair. Works fine for me. Keep in mind my model is one of the smaller 5th wheels.

orvlin
03-12-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks' for posting your reply,hope someone has the same model as mine, i've read online it works, no it don't work. Thanks' again

Rick
03-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Trailer Aid (http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16724)

Rick

C130
03-12-2015, 03:03 PM
I have one but luckily haven't had to use it so not positive it will work on my Fuzion toy hauler. The sales guy at the RV store told me it would but I haven't pulled the trailer up on it. I have the trailer here at my house so maybe I'll test it out over the next few days. I believe they come in different sizes also.

gearhead
03-12-2015, 03:39 PM
I used mine yesterday to lift the wheels while I lubed bearings. I have to put a 1" board under it to lift high enough. I have the TrailerAid Plus.
It lifted our previous Cougar without a board.

rhagfo
03-12-2015, 11:18 PM
I would not use on my trailer! I have a 12 ton bottle jack i place under the axle at the spring. I lift the tire just enough to get the tire an inch off the ground. I feel the Trailer Aid overloads the TIRE, and SPRING on that axle.

jsmith948
03-13-2015, 04:53 AM
I would not use on my trailer! I have a 12 ton bottle jack i place under the axle at the spring. I lift the tire just enough to get the tire an inch off the ground. I feel the Trailer Aid overloads the TIRE, and SPRING on that axle.

X2 - you are doubling the weight carried by the spring, tire, and axle. Not to mention the lateral strain on the suspension. Would be like driving over a curb.

C130
03-13-2015, 05:19 AM
I can't imagine putting one wheel on the Trailer Aid causing any issues but maybe I'm wrong. Personally, I don't think they are that fragile. Backing these 5th wheels in sharp turns causes way more stress in my opinion than lifting one wheel for a few minutes maybe once or twice in a lifetime. All your doing is putting the one wheel a little higher but that wheel is still supported by the Trailer Aid. I also carry a floor jack and impact wrench sometimes on long trips just to make it real easy in case I have a flat.

rhagfo
03-13-2015, 05:38 AM
I can't imagine putting one wheel on the Trailer Aid causing any issues but maybe I'm wrong. Personally, I don't think they are that fragile. Backing these 5th wheels in sharp turns causes way more stress in my opinion than lifting one wheel for a few minutes maybe once or twice in a lifetime. All your doing is putting the one wheel a little higher but that wheel is still supported by the Trailer Aid. I also carry a floor jack and impact wrench sometimes on long trips just to make it real easy in case I have a flat.

Next time you are doing a project like building a fence, instead of picking up one bag of concrete mix, pick up two and see if you hurt anything!!
As for carrying a floor jack, too big, too heavy, and don't work worth beans on gravel. get a bottle jack!

PARAPTOR
03-13-2015, 05:38 AM
Think I read the Trailer Aid plus had a capacity of 15000 lbs. I just ordered one, wanted an easy way to pull the wheels to check brakes/bearing. I like your positive thinking few minutes maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Hopefully for a flat tire conditions will be ideal so that I can use a cell phone :banghead:

EVMIII
03-13-2015, 07:22 AM
Ah, the benefits of a 6 point auto level. I just use the level jacks and lift the tires. By the way, I have a 12 ton bottle jack in the box in my truck (can't be too prepared). Good luck.

Festus2
03-13-2015, 07:28 AM
Ah, the benefits of a 6 point auto level. I just use the level jacks and lift the tires. By the way, I have a 12 ton bottle jack in the box in my truck (can't be too prepared). Good luck.

Is the 6 pt auto level system designed and built to lift the RV so you can change tires or is that system to be used to level the RV - not raise it off the ground? (I don't have this system --- just curious)

C130
03-13-2015, 07:40 AM
Think I read the Trailer Aid plus had a capacity of 15000 lbs. I just ordered one, wanted an easy way to pull the wheels to check brakes/bearing. I like your positive thinking few minutes maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Hopefully for a flat tire conditions will be ideal so that I can use a cell phone :banghead:

Probably just cursed myself by saying that but hopefully as long as I take care of my toy hauler and keep good tires on it I'll be okay! I don't mind changing a flat but like you said hopefully a phone call and it'll be someone Else's problem and the reason I pay for roadside assistance.

I think my jack for my F450 would suffice also and with a lug wrench, cordless impact wrench, trailer aid, I think it shouldn't be too hard. It's a toy hauler after all and made to go off road somewhat so not too worried about the Trailer Aid hurting it and yes I understand the forces imposed on the axles. I just don't think it would be an issue but like I said maybe I'm wrong. With the dips, potholes, and all the idiots on the road, lifting my trailer up with my trailer aid if I have a flat is the least of my worries.

Good question about the auto leveling! I don't have it but sure wish I did. That's the one thing I wish I had otherwise I am very happy with my 2011 Fuzion.

Bbfd
03-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Here is what the lawyers who wrote the Level Up manual have to say-

"Lippert Components Inc. recommends that a trained professional be employed to change the tires on the unit. Ensure that the unit is properly supported with jack stands, or other adequate devices, under the frame of the unit prior to commencing any service or repair procedure. Any attempts to change the tires or perform other service while unit is supported solely by the LCI Level-Up® with Automatic Leveling System could result in death, serious injury, unit or property damage."

Certainly valid points but if one is in a bind it should work and I guess don't go crawling under it. Do the job and move on. My question is what does one do when you auto level and it takes a wheel or two off the ground for a while like when you are camping for a few days or week? When I auto level in my driveway the right front tire lifts off the ground. Must I support with a jack stand to use the trailer? Not trying to be a wise guy but in my limited opinion it seems like you could get away with it. Likely the point is without wheels on it can fall further?

I too pay for roadside assistance and agree let somebody else do it but how do you know the monkey they send out will not do damage using their jack? I guess show them the manual and ensure they have jackstands are you are set.

Campy
03-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Please don't under estimate the jack that's included with your truck! It's a nice heavy duty jack that more than capable of lifting your camper axle to change a flat. When in doubt get it out and try it, the jack with my 08 Silverado works perfectly and all you need to carry is a good lug wrench to fit the lugs on the camper wheels. I carry a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar with the socket and that works in a pinch.

rwmurphy15
03-13-2015, 12:01 PM
I have the trailer aid plus it's 1" higher than the trailer aid. Works great

carwheel_09
03-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Tried the Trailer Plus on my Montana 3610rl with the Mor/yde 4100. It was a no go, to much travel in the suspension. Left it under a tire and put a bottle jack under the other axle. Worked out in the driveway at least. Best bet, road service.

dankent
03-18-2015, 04:04 AM
I had to use mine in the summer to change a tire that went flat, It did work ... but it needed a 1 inch think rubber mat under it to lift my wheel high enough to get the other tire off the trailer. So keep a board or something like the rubber mats about the size of the trailer aid to assist especially when working on soft ground/road. I am glad I had it, all things considered it went well.

PARAPTOR
03-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Just got my Trailer Aid Plus in the mail yesterday still to dam cold out :eek: for me to actually try/play with it.

dadnjesse
03-18-2015, 04:39 PM
Just got mine in the mail today, what is the purpose of the 4 bolts on the bottom it seems as if it will not sit flat.

JRTJH
03-18-2015, 05:35 PM
It's my understanding that the bolts are there to help gain traction so it won't slip as you back the trailer onto it. Also, I suppose you could use them to attach a piece of plywood to the bottom so it wouldn't sink in soft ground.

yatyas81
03-24-2015, 10:32 PM
I carried a Trailer Aid in my '05 Wildcat 28RK and I had to use it a couple times to change a flat along the road, and to me, it was a lot easier than a jack. However, it would not lift the Avalanche high enough to change the tire. I now have a Advantek tandem trailer wheel lift that will lift the Avalanche high enough to change a flat. It's like the Trailer Aid, but is made of steel, weighs about 19lbs and runs about $40. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/advantektrade%3B-outdoors-tandem-trailer-wheel-lift