PDA

View Full Version : Debating on Extended Warranty

jerrycougar2014
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I have a 2014 299RKS Keystone Cougar 5th wheel. Previously had a 2007 Cougar which never had issues of any amount. Do any of you have issues with recent Cougars, especially the High Country? Expensive repairs & what about Extended Warranty? Don't want to worry if not a big deal.

Festus2
03-07-2015, 04:05 PM
There have been volumes written on here about extended warranties. If you do a forum search, then you will be able to find out what others have said about them. If you can't find any information or posts - get back to us.

My opinion --- save your money. Set a sum aside each month for a special RV account and when you need to use it -- it's there for you in your hands - not somebody else's.

JRTJH
03-07-2015, 04:07 PM
Not much, if anything, has changed with extended warranties in the past 5 or 10 years. The forum is filled with discussion, both for and against purchasing this type of insurance. If you look at the current threads, there are at least two going about this very topic with literally dozens that have gone before them.

If you do a search of "EXTENDED WARRANTY" you'll find 11 pages with at least 25 threads on each page that touch on the subject. Here's a link to that list. It starts with your thread and your question: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2065434

Campy
03-09-2015, 07:20 AM
I agree with Festus2 on this! Those extended warranty people always find a way NOT to pay. We try to keep between 2 and 5k built up in a savings account for large repairs on our camper and if the repairs are going to be extensive we use that money to apply towards a new camper. Keeping in mind that pride in ownership goes along way in keeping away costly repairs. I see a lot of campers several years old and falling apart because of no service, in some cases not even cleaning!

fred1609
03-14-2015, 08:46 AM
We have a 2011 327RES which we bought new. We also bought an extended warranty. We have replaced the convertor and another bit of work done under the extended warranty. We bought the 5er in the fall of 2010, so was it a worthwhile purchase? I would say no. I would have been better off putting a couple thousand dollars aside and would have still pocketed at least a thousand dollars. If it were a class C or Class A I wouldn't have thought twice, but a TT of 5er? Not worth it.