PDA

View Full Version : Coupler Latch

sellis1053
03-05-2015, 12:03 PM
If anyone has a coupler like this (Lippert frame), would you post a close up picture with the latch in the down position? I'm not sure mine is going down as far as it once did.

Thanks

sourdough
03-05-2015, 12:57 PM
That appears to be in the "up", unlatched position. Is it?

Hollywood 2979
03-05-2015, 01:00 PM
I have one , I will post when I get home, it should sit with the arms resting on the frame, along the rust colored line on yours, I took and sprayed lube on mine, drenched it because it felt like it was hanging up, took and worked it open and closed till it was completely free again, You can lightly tap it with rubber mallet if it doesn't look like it closed fully.

Hollywood 2979
03-05-2015, 01:03 PM
sourdough, the picture shown is in the open position now, the rust line would be closed.

sellis1053
03-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Yes, I took the picture with the latch in the up position.

sourdough
03-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Yes, I knew it was in the open (unlatched) position but thought that might be as far as it would close referring to initial post. The suggestion for lube and working the latch would probably fix the issue - they can get a little "bound" up. I can't post a pic of mine because it's in the shop. I don't know the exact issue but a partial latch can sometimes be caused by the coupler not fully engaging the ball because it's too far back (the ball)....just thinking.

Hollywood 2979
03-05-2015, 02:30 PM
I noticed on mine if the ball is dry and the latch hasn't been lube it will bind on the ball when trying to latch, Generally when I go to hook up I put a little grease on the ball, keeps coupling from friction wearing and makes the fork engage the ball much easier, also you may see if there is a adjustment on the bottom of the latch, just need to be careful and not make it loose to where it might disengage.

cabinfever
03-06-2015, 05:39 AM
Too much grease can cause the ball to not close easily all the way, especially when the grease dries out some.

JNKS2010
06-15-2015, 06:56 PM
completely had this problem this weekend. difficult hitching up and unhitching. I will have to try some light grease."bouncey:

notanlines
06-16-2015, 05:19 AM
Always be sure that you are able to get your padlock or safety device through the hole and you should be okay. I also concur with the lube idea. A can of spray white lube is always handy to have in the trailer.

UsTwo
06-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Agree 100 % w/ notanlines. you know its down if your lock will fit through the holes... I hit mine with a spray of WD-40, if its been sitting in the weather for more than 2 weeks...Your hitch is the one thing you don't want to fail...