PDA

View Full Version : New Fifth Wheeler

Roberttx
03-05-2015, 09:00 AM
Have a 2015 Ram 2500 and pulling a 30 foot Xlite Cougar. All new and everything is not working properly, but Keystone is working on all problems. Oh yes, the Ram is pilling with a 5.7 HEMI. We are located in Texas. Have in the past lived full time in a MOTOR HOME. This is all new to us. Still having trouble backing.

Harleyhop
03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
:wlcm: Welcome to the forum and good luck with the new 5er. Always remember when backing slow movements,have a spotter and don't worry about the neighbors gawking!

PARAPTOR
03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
:wlcm: to the Forum From Western PA.

CONGRATS on your conversion to a 5th wheel ENJOY "bouncey:

Best advise is Practice, Practice ........... Practice. Keep in mind the gathering of people when you get ready to back into a spot is normal, just take your time. The good thing is when you get in and setup you get to join the group to watch the next guy :eek:

Be Safe and Happy Camping

sourdough
03-05-2015, 12:39 PM
:wlcm: to the forum and congratulations on the new camper! As was said, practice and more practice. I think backing a trailer is one of the few things that reading about doesn't do much good. You've probably got the tow mirrors which is a GOOD thing. You will need a spotter from time to time and you need to establish exactly how you are going to communicate every time so there is no confusion.

Tbos
03-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Welcome from Southern MD. As a little kid I watched my dad learn to back our tent camper behind a 66 Pontiac. He went to a very large parking lot on a Sunday morning and practiced. He used the lot's lines as reference. For me the key is to be patient and willing to start over if need be. I've found my 238ML is easier than smaller trailers I've towed. Have fun!