PDA

View Full Version : US Bank Interest Statement

jkohler70
03-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Our previous RV loan was through Bank of the West, and every year I received an interest statement for tax purposes. As I completed my taxes this year, I was unable to locate a statement from US Bank who holds the loan on our new RV. DW called them, and was informed that they don't send statements for RV loans!
So, despite the fact that IRS allows interest deductions, they won't send a statement! Knowing this, I can track it myself going forward, but I haven't figured out how to get the data for 6 months of 2014.

BOWWOW
03-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Our previous RV loan was through Bank of the West, and every year I received an interest statement for tax purposes. As I completed my taxes this year, I was unable to locate a statement from US Bank who holds the loan on our new RV. DW called them, and was informed that they don't send statements for RV loans!
So, despite the fact that IRS allows interest deductions, they won't send a statement! Knowing this, I can track it myself going forward, but I haven't figured out how to get the data for 6 months of 2014.

I refinanced with bank of the west, my CPA had to go to the local branch to have them print a statement.

BirchyBoy
03-02-2015, 07:26 AM
My February bill showed my 2014 interest paid.

jkohler70
03-02-2015, 07:37 AM
Thanks! My DW handles bill paying. I'll have her locate it.

GaryWT
03-02-2015, 07:52 AM
I would say they should be able to give you the number you need without getting it on a piece of paper, give them a call. You can generally find this info online as well.

jrp
03-02-2015, 11:44 AM
the policy varies from bank to bank on whether they issue a 1098 for RV loans. the bank is not required to issue one since not all RV loans qualify as mortgage interest. But 1098 or not, you're still entitled to claim the deduct, if you qualify. The data required should be available from your monthly statements, or request a year end or year to date summary from the bank (some will charge a small fee for this).

jkohler70
03-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the advice. DW works across the street from a US Bank branch. She was able to obtain a statement.
I don't want to give the government any more than absolutely necessary! They'll just spend it.

crash
03-12-2015, 02:32 AM
jkohler70 they wont spend it ,They will just give it to other countries instead of taking care of our own problems.Just saying.:banghead:

JRTJH
03-12-2015, 04:53 AM
The OP has received the answer to his question and now has the information he needs to complete his accounting of interest paid toward his RV mortgage. So, before this becomes too political, the thread is closed.