PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Cougar 21 RBS

bdl
03-02-2015, 06:01 AM
As predicted, the nose cone [ covering the LP tanks ] has a 2" vertical crack near the bottom.

This is apparently a common problem & I haven't seen a successful repair.

Recommendations are welcome.

JRTJH
03-02-2015, 08:50 AM
If you're still in warranty, let the dealer do his "magic".

If you're out of warranty, and are "handy with repairing things", stop drill the crack, reinforce it from behind and refinish the visible part with body filler/paint/clearcoating.

If you're not "handy with repairing things', find a boat/fiberglass repair shop and seek their guidance.

ROLIN JOSEPH
03-02-2015, 09:14 AM
bdl,
JRTJH pretty much sums it up, however if it is the LP tanks cover you are referring to, it should be even easier because that is made out of polyethylene, and can be patched up from behind with melted poly.

sourdough
03-02-2015, 04:45 PM
I've got a 2014 Courgar High Country 319RLS. Initially I had an issue with the rubber retainers trying to work off the metal tabs. I carefully bent them forward a tad so that they wouldn't and it worked until.............I took it in for them to repaint the front cap. When I got it back it looked like the tank cover had been drug all over their shop and it had about a 4" vertical crack at the bottom. I asked them to repair it but instead they used some sort of mesh material with what looked like melted plastic to reinforce the back of the metal tabs; it was pretty nifty looking stuff. Anyway, the tank cover then proceeded to self destruct and they have now bought me a new one and it is being installed. I have asked them to put the reinforcing material they put behind the metal tabs completely around the inside edges of the cover to reinforce it. What they did initially looked good and looked like it would really make the edges of the cover a lot stouter. They are still working on it and I'll see if I can find out what the product is, how it's applied etc. Looked like something a regular person could do.

wesaysoracing
03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
was the material black? it could have been panel bond

sourdough
03-09-2015, 02:37 PM
It was black. I don't know if it was panelbond. I spoke with the service manager when I was in there Sat. and he said he would find out for me. It almost looked like a black epoxy/resin but had a mesh texture you could see in/under it. Like I said in my other post, it looked pretty nifty and definitely sturdied up the metal tabs. The LP tank covers are VERY fragile so they need something keep them from "cracking up":D