PDA

View Full Version : 2012 300MP Contaminated Brakes

02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
We have a 2012 300MP that we purchased new. The brakes never stopped well from day 1 but we blamed the tow vehicle and heavy weight of the combination.

We upgraded tow vehicle brakes and are using factory Ford brake controller.

We have about 4000 miles on the trailer in the last 3 years so it was time for a bearing pack and brake inspection. The trailer is equipped with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes and EZ-Lube zerk fittings.

We have never added grease to the zerk fittings - favoring hand packing and inspection.

Today was bearing service day. To no surprise 3 of the 4 brakes were contaminated with grease. The grease (from the factory) was much thinner than the Kendal L427 that we replaced it with (Kendal L427 is on the list from Dexter).

So fix is to completely replace 3 of the 4 brake assemblies.

This post is an FYI for owners that believe their trailer brakes are not adequate - CHECK THEM ASAP even if the trailer is NEW. :banghead:

Pictures attached for reference. 1 Pic with good vs. bad on the passenger side and a second pic of both bad ones on the drivers side.

therink
02-27-2015, 04:13 PM
It is amazing how lacking QC is when building rv trailers. Likely this is a lippert or dexter issue, but still.
Makes me think I should pull my drums as well this spring.

chuckster57
02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
The issue will be at the plant that assembles the axles, not Keystone.

BOWWOW
02-27-2015, 04:25 PM
I had the same issue last year ,replaced all 4 brakes and seals.

PARAPTOR
02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
bowwow, Did you ever add grease using the zerk fittings?

BOWWOW
03-01-2015, 11:31 AM
bowwow, Did you ever add grease using the zerk fittings?

Yes, I did. Very little since it was a fairly new rig. I had seals 2 leaking grease. The main issue was when I adjusted the brakes one day I found loose brake parts tumbling around .

bobbecky
03-01-2015, 09:15 PM
I would recommend replacing all four backing plate/brake assemblies, not just three. When we had a similar experience with ours, we also had to have the drums turned, as the greased brakes and magnets had caused grooving on the brake and magnet areas of the drums. If you do get the drums turned, most auto shops are not set up to turn the drums magnet surface, so you will have to make some calls. It is amazing how much better the brakes are once all new parts are installed and the drums are freshly turned.