PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a 33' travel trailer and turns

arwenmark
02-25-2015, 03:23 PM
I will have to drive our new to us, travel trailer home once the snow is gone, [if it ever is this year]

I don't drive a lot and rarely drive the truck, 2007 3500 extended cab Dually. I have never towed anything. The trailer is in NH and I have to tow it to Cape cod, including over the Bourne Bridge and around the rotaries.

I am particularly concerned about making any turns, and there will be several.
Can anyone tell me how much rear swing I can expect in both directions on turns? the trailer is a 2005 Sprinter FKMS 33' bumper to ball. there is 10.5 feet from the wheels to the rear of the trailer.

I cannot go practice before the trip home, so any help with turning, particularly intersections. I am also very concered about getting into my driveway, pulling in not backing in don't want the swing to hit the trees or neighbors property accross the street from my driveway, also hoping not to bottom out, getting it in there, but that is another matter.

We are having them put on the Equalizer 14000 on before we leave dealers with it.

HELP!

sourdough
02-25-2015, 05:01 PM
There are lots of folks on here that can give you a lot of help on this.

Turns - Avoid tight intersections. You have to be able to "swing" out in even pretty large intersections. Don't turn like you do a car; drive further forward into the turn to allow for the trailer to follow. Give yourself plenty of space if making a right turn. Your trailer will crawl the curb or take out a sign or pole if you don't give yourself space from the edge...again you have to drive much further forward before you begin to turn. Always keep your trailer in your rear view as you turn. You probably have tow mirrors so watch where the trailer is going. Always be aware of your surroundings - the curbs, the parked cars, the cars in the turn lane, poles, signs, overhead wires. You may have a tight turn where you have to swing into the oncoming traffic lane; prepare for that and wait until it is clear - I'm sure you've seen semis get in a bind turning...I see it all the time. Just take your time and try to keep your 360degree vision going:)

Highway driving - watch the other folks always. Make sure your truck and trailer tires are aired to recommended pressure. Your truck and hitch should help immensely but passing cars will push and pull the trailer - be prepared for it, don't overreact and gently compensate as you feel the push/pull; you will get used to it. Keep a good distance between the car ahead of you. You cannot stop as if you were in a car. Always use your turn signals and give plenty of notice. You will probably be driving slower than others and lots of them like to tailgate - they need to know to back off. Keep speeds 60 - 65mph. If this is a used trailer you need to thoroughly inspect the tires on it. It it has been sitting for a long period, or if they are just old, they could be a disaster waiting to happen. Look for tread wear, spider cracks on the sidewalls or any other anomaly. When looking for fuel (you didn't say if the truck was gas or diesel) you have to really watch the arrangement of the pumps to make sure your truck and trailer can get in and out. This is really an issue for gas trucks. If it's diesel you can use the truck stops with pretty good success. If it's not a truck stop be sure and watch the height of the awning covers. You're probably going to be over 11' high so something meant for a car could take your AC off. Roundabouts or other similar situations may take a little pre-thinking. Sometimes you have to take up more than your lane to get thru some obstacles. Watch for them, make sure you know where everyone is, give signals and execute whatever it is you have to do. Just be careful and take your time.

Backing - since you've never pulled anything before backing may seen like a daunting thing. If you've got good mirrors and a good feel for depth it's not bad. You may need a spotter. After you've done it a while it's second nature but initially you may want to use the "steer from the bottom of the steering wheel method" which sort of simplifies things. If you want the rear of the trailer to go right, put your hand at the bottom the the wheel and push it right. It at least will help orient you to where the wheel goes vs the trailer.

Misc - Check all the lights, signals etc. on the trailer. I always use a hitch lock on the trailer when towing. Make sure the truck is up for the task as far as maintenance items; full coolant, good brakes, full brake fluid, oil, working lights etc. Plan your route as best as possible to make sure you avoid known problems. Carry a lug/torque wrench/sockets to fit lug nuts and tools in case something happens. A flashlight can be indispensable.

There are a million things I'm forgetting but I'm sure someone else will chime in. Just remember: driving, especially towing, is a full time job - not a time to visit, sight see or sing along with the music. Always keep in mind all the time that you have this big long thing behind you and you CANNOT drive or turn like you are used to. Towing the first time can be worrisome but just read thru these threads on this forum and you can see that folks are pulling all kinds of things and having the time of their lives - you will too given a bit of time.

Good luck and safe travels. If I think of other stuff I'll post.

GaryWT
02-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Congrats and take it slow. Learn fast to worry about you and not everyone else meaning don't worry if you are holding someone up.

A lot of good info above. Right turns are the hardest as you have the least amount of space because you are already against the curb. My first right turn I almost lost the awning on a stop sign, I saw it out the mirror just in time to straighten out and go out wider across the yellow line some. Left turns are not as bad but watch if there are cars stopped to your left. Slow and easy wins the race. There is a turn near my house that is tough in the car so I would never attempt it with the trailer, because of this I plan ways around this intersection.

Where in NH are you picking it up and will you be on route 3, 93 or 16 and will you be coming down 495 or 95? I never tow through Boston, always go around on 95. As for the Bourne Brighe, I always stay in the middle lane. The curb is high and the lanes are narrow so I take the middle lane and if there is no room inside to pass me, oh well the bridge is not too long. Use your directional at the rotary, stay in the lane if you are going up 28 and then move to the right lane once you are off the rotary. Just watch the passenger side but once the directional is on, most will let you over.

As for gas, fill up in NH close to the dealer and hopefully you will be good to get home. If you need to stop for gas the station on 24 just before 495 is probably the best if you come that was. Figure to get about 10 mpg give or take.

Plan on staying in the first lane but be aware of people darting in front of you to get off the highway or not paying attention as they pull onto the highway. As you know, Massachusetts drivers do not realize that they have the yield sign as they pull on the highway and expect those traveling in the first lane to stop on a dime to let them on. You will not be able to do that so you might have to use your horn once or twice.

Good luck and let us know if you have other questions.

Desert185
02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
As you know, Massachusetts drivers do not realize that they have the yield sign as they pull on the highway and expect those traveling in the first lane to stop on a dime to let them on. You will not be able to do that so you might have to use your horn once or twice.

You see that a lot in California. Must be the cellphone that blocks their view...:banghead:

Start out with a full tank, check lugnut torque and tire pressure (don't trust the dealer), adjust mirrors, don't cut corners, insure the trailer, say a prayer and go for it. Worked for me...:rolleyes:

GaryWT
02-26-2015, 07:40 AM
You see that a lot in California. Must be the cellphone that blocks their view...:banghead:

Start out with a full tank, check lugnut torque and tire pressure (don't trust the dealer), adjust mirrors, don't cut corners, insure the trailer, say a prayer and go for it. Worked for me...:rolleyes:

I think if you have a cell phone in your hand you are exempt from traffic rules :eek:

hankaye
02-26-2015, 07:46 AM
arwenmark, Howdy;

As mentioned, Right hand turns need extra attention.
Her's a video that may help explain the Right hand turn question.
http://www.truck-drivers-money-saving-tips.com/right-turn.html
Please read the comments as well.
Hope it helps.

hankaye

arwenmark
02-26-2015, 11:46 AM
thanks for the advice and keep it coming. I am picking the TT up on RT. 4 in Chichester NH. My plan is to take 4 to route 125 south and take that all the way to Rt. 495.
I viewed it on googlemaps and it looks like no really sharp turns including getting on the on ramps.

cabinfever
02-26-2015, 12:22 PM
You might want to pull your new TT home in the middle of the night. Much less traffic. Drive the exact route to get the TT as you will coming home and note what areas may present problems. As others have said, don't worry about delaying other motorists and take your time.

SKSCCI
02-26-2015, 03:06 PM
It might be worth the cost to have a professional mover do it for you.

arwenmark
02-26-2015, 03:29 PM
It might be worth the cost to have a professional mover do it for you.

Ah yes but then I still get no experience pulling or parking it. Can't have a professional mover every time we camp.

rrohrer
02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
been there. my second trailer is 32 footer. and I was scared when I left that lot. just give yourself a little extra at turns and turn wide. keep an eye on ur rear mirrors to ensure ur not gonna hit something. give yourself extra stopping room. drive defensively. as in- be ready for anyone to pull out in front of you as you may not be able to stop as quickly. go gently at first and you'll quickly get the hang of it. don't stop for gas in a really tight station. look before u pull in anywhere. take a copilot if possible(wife etc). Good luck.

rrohrer
02-26-2015, 03:42 PM
good advice the others gave. on a side note- I do travel a decent amt at nite cause its just so much faster and I work nightshift at times. It is less traffic, but if you blow a tire or have any issues that require pulling over it can be a little hairy. scares me alittle every time I go at nite, but the time savings is incredible depending where u r travelling.

BOWWOW
02-26-2015, 03:44 PM
Don't forget about how tall the rv is when you get to bridges, gas stations drive thrus ect.... Good info on right turns, but if you come to a double lane left turn use the right side lane you don't want to hit the center island or a road sign pole in it. As far as tail swing you probably wont have a whole lot but there will be some especially in tight turns.

ImTravis
02-26-2015, 04:17 PM
When we pucked ours up, it was my first time with a TT and longer trailer (went from 10 ft. popup to 30 ft. TT).. We both were nervous, but did manage to pull into a few empty parki g lots on the way home (2 day trip), and gor some manuvering practice with.

Good Luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

theeyres
02-26-2015, 07:38 PM
arwenmark explained it as well as anybody could. Read his remarks carefully. Pick a time when there is little traffic, take it easy, make those right hand turns as wide as possible and you will be fine. Watch the trailer in your mirrors on any turn--watch, watch, watch. STOP if you are getting to close to a curb and figure out what to do.

jtyphoid
02-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Do you know anyone with an old utility trailer that you can borrow to get some general towing practice? Maybe meet up at an empty parking lot to practice unhitching, hitching, turning, backing up, etc.

rschad
02-26-2015, 08:13 PM
You also need to relax. use basic logic and remember lots of people do this and it isn't difficult, when making turns if not sure i always make the widest turn possible as that is my best shot. The advice already given is excellent, just relax it is not that hard and soon you will be planning road trips.

Ken / Claudia
02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
I have never been where talking about but, I cannot believe that with a little planing you could find a place like big parking areas to practice before heading out on the open road. But, you said you could not. So, all advice given has been good. When I pull any trailer, I am turning my head checking the left and right side mirrors every minute or more and looking as far ahead as I can see. Not only looking but remember things like maybe last right mirror check there was a red car along side the trailer so, when I check again I want to see where that red car is now. When turning corners any corner I know where the truck is going to track and where other traffic etc. is, so I keep checking the mirror to see where the trailer is tracking. Expect tire failure after hitting curbs with the trailer tires. Sometimes they will be ok but, do not count on it.
When pulling into your driveway have help, same as backing. Someone that is able to see you and you them. Take a minute and decide how and what your going to say or signal to each other. Keep it simple Stop, right, left, foreword. By saying X amount more feet to go is better than repeating alittle more, alittle more, alittle more. Good Luck be safe.

GaryWT
02-27-2015, 05:23 AM
thanks for the advice and keep it coming. I am picking the TT up on RT. 4 in Chichester NH. My plan is to take 4 to route 125 south and take that all the way to Rt. 495.
I viewed it on googlemaps and it looks like no really sharp turns including getting on the on ramps.

Camping World? Depending on whether you want to drive awhile before you get on the highway, that is a route but it will take awhile. If you take a left leaving the dealership it will bring you to 93 which you can take south to 495. More highway driving which might be better but your call with whatever you are comfortable with. Good luck.

arwenmark
02-27-2015, 07:11 AM
arwenmark explained it as well as anybody could. Read his remarks carefully. Pick a time when there is little traffic, take it easy, make those right hand turns as wide as possible and you will be fine. Watch the trailer in your mirrors on any turn--watch, watch, watch. STOP if you are getting to close to a curb and figure out what to do.

But I AM arwenmark, the OP and I am a woman by the way. So I assume you meant someone else explained it well?

Actually there is much good advice, and I thank all who have and will post.

SKSCCI
02-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Ah yes but then I still get no experience pulling or parking it. Can't have a professional mover every time we camp.

That's not what I am saying.

When you learned to first drive a car, I am sure that you did not get right onto the interstate and have a go.
You eased into it.
You probably first practiced in a limited traffic environment, probably a large parking lot.
Then, as your confidence and experience increased, so did the extent and locations where you drove, eventually working your way up to congested traffic areas, high speed freeways, etc.

Towing a TT is no different.
You need to learn to walk before you run.
All I am saying that that maybe your first experience should not be an endurance run.
Get it delivered to your home where you can then have the opportunity to gain the experience needed.

However, whatever works for you as long as you drive safely and do not endanger yourself or others.

Regards,
Steve.

Ken / Claudia
02-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Another point, we do not know if this is being picked up at a dealer. So, if that is the case, have someone show you how to hook it up and have them drive around on city streets showing you (as you are sitting in front passenger seat) how the truck/trailer handles. If they can explain what and why they are doing as the drive happens would will see first hand and be able to ask questions.
I have found that reading or talking about doing something you never have done before helps. But, I have found after learning in the classroom and than driving on the track are 2 different things. Myself like many others still hit the walls on high speed turns, we were told how not to but, still did until a few laps. Practice, practice, practice and have a good plan. That's how to avoid accidents.

Desert185
02-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Perhaps someone on this forum who lives in the OP's area could volunteer to assist in the ride home. I would, but distance prevents that.

Just trying to be neighborly...