PDA

View Full Version : Level with a wet bolt kit?

gearhead
02-25-2015, 06:17 AM
To get our 5th level I had to lower my Curt hitch a notch, which is 2". That put me just under 6" of clearance above my tailgate. So far that hasn't been an issue. I'm going to have a wet bolt kit installed sometime soon. Has anyone used longer shackles to raise the trailer when installing the kit? I would like to move the hitch back up to get more tailgate clearance. I don't think I want to go a full 2" longer on the shackle but if I could go 1 or 1 1/2" I may be able to get the tailgate clearance I want. Would you go to a X Factor crossbar if you used longer shackles?

Desert185
02-25-2015, 06:24 AM
Since Dexter is a manufacturer of the kit, I would call them about this. I know when I called Mor/ryde about this (because the SRX came with their CRE/3000 equalizer) they discussed using the same length shackles and verified the kit number I needed. I didn't have a need to raise the trailer, though, and didn't specifically ask if I could use different length shackles.

Dexter makes the kit items for Mor/ryde, BTW.

jtyphoid
02-25-2015, 08:50 AM
To get our 5th level I had to lower my Curt hitch a notch, which is 2". That put me just under 6" of clearance above my tailgate. So far that hasn't been an issue. I'm going to have a wet bolt kit installed sometime soon. Has anyone used longer shackles to raise the trailer when installing the kit? I would like to move the hitch back up to get more tailgate clearance. I don't think I want to go a full 2" longer on the shackle but if I could go 1 or 1 1/2" I may be able to get the tailgate clearance I want. Would you go to a X Factor crossbar if you used longer shackles?
Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but won't longer shackles lower the RV instead of raising it?

The equalizer hangs *down* from the spring eyes by the length of the shackles, so won't a longer shackle allow it hang even lower?

BOWWOW
02-25-2015, 09:02 AM
Dexter also makes a Torflex lift kit that may help, it is fairly inexpensive. I'm not sure about the install on it.

gearhead
02-25-2015, 12:18 PM
Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but won't longer shackles lower the RV instead of raising it?

The equalizer hangs *down* from the spring eyes by the length of the shackles, so won't a longer shackle allow it hang even lower?

Yes, you are correct. I was standing on my head, looking upside down, and obviously thinking in reverse! Apparently needed more coffee. LOL

Dexter calls their torsion suspension Torflex, I think I would have to do an axle replacement for that.