PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the Bullet 272BHS

liamlunchtray
02-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Hi Everyone -

For the past 4 or 5 years we have been camping in a LivinLite 10.0 ultralight popup. It weighs under 1000lbs and we have towed it easily with our Mazda 5 or Kia Soul. Our kids are getting older (11 & 14) and last fall we bought a 2014 F150 Supercrew with the 3.7L V6. It's still a pretty small capacity, but it opens up a whole new world of options. We think we have settled on a 272BHS, which has plenty of room and all the amenities we need. After lots of investigation we are comfortable that the TV can handle it as long as we have a decent weight distribution hitch. We're already used to packing light, so we should be fine. Now we just need to pay down a couple bills and hopefully we will be able to have the trailer in time for this camping season.

Looking forward to it.

sourdough
02-23-2015, 07:53 AM
:wlcm: to the forum! I know upgrading is exciting and the possibilities are endless.

Not to dampen your spirit but be sure and check out the weights; Trailer dry weight and carry weight = gvw. On the 272bhs that's over 7500lbs. Max trlr for your truck is 6300lbs. GCVWR (truck + trailer) for your truck looks like 11700lbs. Your truck GVWR is 6800 with a payload of 1620. GVW of truck + GVW of trailer = GCVW. 7500 (trlr) + 6800 (truck) = 14300 vs the max GCVW allowed for your truck of 11700. As these numbers illustrate the trailer exceeds you maximum tow rating and the truck/trailer combo exceeds your trucks GCVW rating at GVW. You can pack light but the dry weight of your truck is over 5200 + dry hitch of 540 = 5740 + dry trailer of 5030 = 10770. To that no matter what you have to add hitch weight (100), propane (70), battery (50) and people (mom,dad,kids = 400?) = 620. 10,770 + 620 = 11390 vs maximum GCVWR for truck of 11,700. All of this is for your consideration - not criticizing in case you had not seen some of the numbers.

All to say that if you load up, which you will do over time (all that new space will be inviting:) ) you can easily exceed your trucks capacity. Have you looked at the 243bhs? It looks almost identical but saves several hundred pounds in dry weight and carrying capacity. If you go with the 272bhs get a good WDH, load both truck and trailer lightly as you are used to and drive carefully. Most importantly.....go have a ton of fun and make lots of great memories......safely:)

liamlunchtray
02-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Thanks so much for all the feedback - I appreciate it. Yes indeed, I have run all of the numbers, and I'm aware that it's a tight squeeze. I've also spoken to a number of folks pulling much heavier trailers with the same truck without issue. Some of them far far heavier than I would ever be comfortable with (IE: 8500lbs+) . I'm comfortable with the setup and fully understand the limitations. I'm confident that the truck will have enough power to tow the trailer, and it has a sufficient wheelbase to tow a 27' trailer safely, which for me is a greater concern in this scenario. Using a quality WDH will absolutely be a necessity.

Looking forward to it!

sourdough
02-24-2015, 01:52 PM
I don't think the length will be a big deal. Going from an ultralight pop up to a 27' trailer WILL be a different towing experience. The push and pull of vehicles, the wind and sway will be something you have to get used to. I pulled my 37' trailer with my previous 1/2 ton and it did "OK" so I think the 27' will be fine. I use an Equalizer WDH/sway hitch and really like it.

TNT88
03-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Hello

We have the same trailer that your looking at but in a 24 ft. My dry WT is 4720 that 27ft will be around 5200 dry. That f150 will pull it just fine the reason I say that my buddy has one and pulls a 29ft TT at 6100 dry WT.

JimQ
03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Whichever TT you choose, best of luck with it. I also utilize the Equilizer 4 point WD hitch. My Bullet tows great! Take your time when towing. It's not a race! Many good times ahead for you and your family. Welcome to the Forum.