PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Supplied WDH is it enough???

BlueThunder34
02-22-2015, 04:01 PM
We purchased a 2015 Springdale 240BHWE that has an empty weight of 5,660 carrying capacity of 2,030 and a dry hitch weight of 690lbs. The WDH that they fitted my truck (2014 RAM 1500) with is the E2 WDH with max. 8,000lbs weight and 800lbs. max tounge weight. Is this WDH enough for this trailer without being at risk of failure? Seems that empty tounge weight of 690 is going to climb pretty quickly once propane, batteries, water, cargo is added. I'm new to this so not sure if I'm being overly cautious or if they should have included a heavier duty WDH?

chuckster57
02-22-2015, 05:04 PM
Empty weight of 5660 and cargo capacity of 2030 equals 7690.

With a GVWR of 7690, that means the most your trailer can weigh is still under the max of the WDH, and the hitch should be 770 at most.
At our dealership, that close would have warranted a 1000/10000 WDH. You should be fine, but I would ask nicely and see what they say.

wahoonc
02-22-2015, 05:44 PM
I would say that the hitch will do the job, but it is close to the limits.

Better than my dealer did... They gave me an 800/8000 hitch for a trailer that grosses 4000#:rolleyes: I gave up fighting with them and ordered lighter bars for mine. Just to show you how ignorant they are: I picked up my trailer after some warranty work with my F350 DRW, CC, PSD. Truck weighs over 7,000# I just dropped it on the ball with just a friction sway control. The service writer was upset that I wasn't using the WDH.... REALLY? I have to wonder just how much experience these clowns really have.:confused:

Aaron:cool:

x96mnn
02-22-2015, 06:13 PM
I would say that the hitch will do the job, but it is close to the limits.

Better than my dealer did... They gave me an 800/8000 hitch for a trailer that grosses 4000#:rolleyes: I gave up fighting with them and ordered lighter bars for mine. Just to show you how ignorant they are: I picked up my trailer after some warranty work with my F350 DRW, CC, PSD. Truck weighs over 7,000# I just dropped it on the ball with just a friction sway control. The service writer was upset that I wasn't using the WDH.... REALLY? I have to wonder just how much experience these clowns really have.:confused:

If I understand correctly you went down in WD bars from 800pd bars to say 600pd bars. Is there any reason behind doing that? I understand that lighter bars are enough, is there disadvantage to having larger bars? Would they have caused too much weight to transfer?

wahoonc
02-22-2015, 06:48 PM
If I understand correctly you went down in WD bars from 800pd bars to say 600pd bars. Is there any reason behind doing that? I understand that lighter bars are enough, is there disadvantage to having larger bars? Would they have caused too much weight to transfer?

Made the ride way too stiff. To get the WDH to work properly the bars need to be in tension. In some cases it could damage the trailer tongue, break welds etc. With the heavier bars they didn't have enough give to them. Truck and trailer handle much better now. I have seen an Airstream have the front frame nearly destroyed because of the use of too heavy a bar. Admittedly that is an unusual situation, but the closer the match the better. Most dealers only stock one or two sizes of hitches and they are going to use what they have in stock. It took me a while to find the lighter bars. One came from Texas the other from VA. Nobody had them in stock locally, they would be happy to order them at full retail plus shipping.:(

Bob Landry
02-23-2015, 07:59 AM
13% of the gross trailer weight, which is a reasonable figure for tongue weight, puts it right at 1000 lbs. I would like to see the heavier bars.
There is no problem using bars that are rated higher. You are only adjusting them to transfer the right amount of weight to the front axle, so heavier bars adjusted properly offer no more stress than light bars capable of doing the same thing. The bars are not flexing or exerting force to the trailer or acting as a shock absorber, they are only transferring weight.

Alo, keep in mind that the WD is used only to return the front axle weight and not to level the TV.

sourdough
02-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Personally I would get the 1000lb hitch. At 15% of your GVW the hitch will weigh 1153lbs. If you hit that you have overloaded not only the bars but the hitch itself. IMO it's much better to be safe than sorry.

BlueThunder34
02-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. I have emailed the dealer and expressed my concern, I'm not holding my breath though. I'm sure the response will be that the hitch they set me up with will be fine but I'm welcome to buy another heavier duty WDH if I would like. We shall see....:confused:

x96mnn
02-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Made the ride way too stiff. To get the WDH to work properly the bars need to be in tension. In some cases it could damage the trailer tongue, break welds etc. With the heavier bars they didn't have enough give to them. Truck and trailer handle much better now. I have seen an Airstream have the front frame nearly destroyed because of the use of too heavy a bar. Admittedly that is an unusual situation, but the closer the match the better. Most dealers only stock one or two sizes of hitches and they are going to use what they have in stock. It took me a while to find the lighter bars. One came from Texas the other from VA. Nobody had them in stock locally, they would be happy to order them at full retail plus shipping.:(

Thank you sir, I did not know this!

{tpc}
02-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Thanks all for the feedback. I have emailed the dealer and expressed my concern, I'm not holding my breath though. I'm sure the response will be that the hitch they set me up with will be fine but I'm welcome to buy another heavier duty WDH if I would like. We shall see....:confused:

I would ask them if you did buy a different hitch, how much would it affect the price of the deal as well. I would also ask if they are giving you the round bar or the trunnion style one, and then do a bit of research into what people are saying about each style.

I just "took" whatever the dealer gave me with mine, and I wish I had paid a bit more attention to it. I would have paid more in the "deal" to get a blue ox or something a bit nicer. Granted mine works just fine, but I can't help but feel that I should have made a better decision when it came to that.

sourdough
02-23-2015, 11:26 AM
From your post it sounds like this is a done deal and they have already installed the hitch and it's been used. If so, I doubt they will swap it out.

If they will there are a lot of good, nice hitches that would work for you. They will cost more but as in everything else you get what you pay for. Good luck.

Bob Landry
02-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Depending on the brand, you can buy different bars without having to replace the entire hitch. Put your bars on Craigslist.

BlueThunder34
04-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Just a quick update and shout out to Tacoma RV for stepping up and correcting the error they made. They admitted that I should have been setup with the 1000/10000 WDH and not the 800/8000. They swapped it out for no charge and no hassle. Nice when a company takes care of the customer even after the sale, they have earned my future business😄

notanlines
04-16-2015, 03:16 AM
Not to mention a shout out to you also for keeping us in the loop. Not many posters come back with an update.