PDA

View Full Version : 15 cougar 330rbk

Arkguy29
02-21-2015, 04:53 AM
I'm thinking of pulling the gun on one bc I found one heck of a deal. Originally I was getting a bumper pull in mid 20$k. Thoughts and opinions.

chuckster57
02-21-2015, 05:53 AM
Welcome to the forum :wlcm:

Thoughts- as long as it suits you and your needs, go for it.

Opinion- as long as your tow vehicle is big enough to drag it anywhere, go for it.

Buying any RV really comes down to personal choices. There are so many different brands and floor plans that a person could go insane looking. Hopefully we have a member with the same or similar unit that can add more insight.

Arkguy29
02-21-2015, 06:01 AM
I have a 14 ram Laramie 2500 cummins. We have 3 kids and looking for bunkhouse. I want a mid level camper and like for it to last a few years without problems. I've towed goosenecks but never 5 th wheel. I had a 32 ft tt I bought used and we liked it. Sold it a yr later and now looking into a new one. Msrp is 53k and I can get it for 32k is only reason I'm considering. And it seems very nice. I'm tired of looking at campers!

chuckster57
02-21-2015, 06:28 AM
I know about "tired of looking" we spent 3 years looking at hundreds of different units before landing in our current one. IMO fivers tow so much better than bumper pull, probably the reason I have stayed with them since '89.

Since the kingpin weight is going to be more than a tongue weight, do yourself a quick favor. Load up the truck with everything you'll have in it including the kids, pets and full tank of fuel. Find a scale and weigh it. Then look at the weight on the rear axle.

Your drivers door will have a sticker with all the ratings. Subtract the scale weight from the rating... then subtract another 100 pounds for a hitch. Is the leftover MORE than the kingpin? When you look at the brochure keep in mind that the advertised kingpin is before batteries and propane. If the numbers are good then enjoy! If not....

cblong
02-21-2015, 08:39 AM
I have a 330 RBK and love it. we travel kinda light I don't overload the front storage or anything and my traveling pin weight without water all tanks empty. plus propane and two batteries. we added a tv in the front bedroom, and all our clothes, camping chairs, chock blocks, hoses, cables, ect. normal camping stuff is 2500 lbs. ( give or take a few pounds I weighed last summer and don't have the scale paperwork handy.) If you can fit that plus the weight of passengers, hitch and all your fine. Oh and I did put some Timbrens on because I wanted to level out the truck. I would recommend either them or air bags if you get the camper.

Arkguy29
02-21-2015, 09:08 AM
On ramtrucks.com it says curb weight is 7750 and my passengers is 600lbs. Payload is at 0 and says towing is at 17100. If I move payload to 1820lbs which all it will allow me towing is at 15280. I will load my truck w fuel and kids and check on scales and look at my sticker. I do have 3 step kids and 4 th kid on way. My truck seats 5 only:( . The camper will stay at the lake 2 hrs away and be pulled 30 mins from there on occasion to an atv ranch that I'm a member of. We haven't used one outside of this but may do so in the future.

cblong
02-21-2015, 09:21 AM
check your door sticker and go from there don't trust the website.

Djhstevens
02-21-2015, 11:41 AM
I have a 14 ram Laramie 2500 cummins. We have 3 kids and looking for bunkhouse. I want a mid level camper and like for it to last a few years without problems. I've towed goosenecks but never 5 th wheel. I had a 32 ft tt I bought used and we liked it. Sold it a yr later and now looking into a new one. Msrp is 53k and I can get it for 32k is only reason I'm considering. And it seems very nice. I'm tired of looking at campers!

Appreciate your insight ARKguy29 We have ordered a 330RBK AND JUST REALIZED THE GVWR issue. We have the 2500HD GMC Sierra as you used to have. The dealer is telling us the 2000 hitch weight posted I the brochure is fully loaded. We didn't think this was possible.

JRTJH
02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Here are the specs for the Cougar 330RBK:

Shipping Weight 10065
Carrying Capacity 2380
Hitch 2045
Length 37' 4"
Height 12' 10"
Fresh Water 60
Waste Water 38
Gray Water 76
LPG 60
Tire Size ST235/80R16E

The shipping weight is "dry" weight with standard equipment (that means 13500 BTU A/C, no second A/C, no 4 point leveling system, no theater seating and no fireplace. Those are all "options" and their weight must be added to the shipping weight.

The hitch (pin) weight is as the trailer is shipped, empty propane tanks and no battery. The dealer is "expected" to provide propane and at least one battery. That will add 60 lbs (propane) and about 50 pounds (battery), making the "empty pin weight" about 110 pounds more than the "advertised" pin weight of 2045. In other words, the empty trailer will weight a bit more than 10065 and the empty pin weight will be about 2155. The best way to estimate your actual pin weight is to take the GVW (shipping weight and cargo capacity) and figure you'll be somewhere between 15-25% of that. Most people "guess-timate" at 20% and that's usually a good, rounded guess.

So your GVW would be: 10065 + 2380 = 12445 and your pin weight would be somewhere between 1866 - 3111 pounds with a "best guess" of somewhere around 2489. Of course that depends on how you pack, what you pack and where (in the rv) you pack it. Remember, the 330RBK comes standard with hookups for a washer/dryer in the bedroom (directly over the pin) which, if you install one, will add around 150-250 pounds directly to the pin weight.

So, your dealer's "2000 pound hitch weight" is only possible with the empty trailer, no options and empty fresh and waste water tanks. He's being "optimistic" at best and likely to be "exaggerating the truth".