PDA

View Full Version : World Wide RV/House Swap

carlosjackal
02-16-2015, 07:03 PM
hi Folks,

I recently came across the following website.

www.rvworldwide.com

We found someone in Hawaii who wanted to swap their home for an RV/Travel Trailer in New Zealand. So its off to Hawaii in May for us, in return for them using our Toyota Landcruiser and 2014 230LHS

Just wondered if y'all were aware of this site, and if anyone knew of any similar sites they can share with us.

Best regards

Carl

GaryWT
02-16-2015, 07:19 PM
It seems like a nice way to travel but no one is driving my truck or towing my trailer. Maybe it is just me but there are too many things that could go wrong.

chuckster57
02-16-2015, 07:35 PM
It seems like a nice way to travel but no one is driving my truck or towing my trailer. Maybe it is just me but there are too many things that could go wrong.

I agree. I won't even let family "borrow" my rig.

notanlines
02-17-2015, 04:07 AM
I simply couldn't imagine letting someone tow/use our Raptor. Not kids, brother or anybody else. Way too much involved.

On The Road Again
02-17-2015, 04:26 AM
Don't ask to borrow my Harley, Toy Hauler or Wife!

GmaPaTime
02-17-2015, 05:51 AM
No way would I let some complete stranger come and drive my truck or with our camper.
There are only three people who can drive my truck, DW and two brothers. Of them, my one brother is the only one to do so with the camper. He drove 18 wheelers for 40 years.

I'd be very careful about this arrangement. Not knowing the cababilities of the driver and in the event of an accident, I would check your insurance, you could be held personably liable beyond your vehicle and trailer.

BirchyBoy
02-17-2015, 06:26 AM
hi Folks,

I recently came across the following website.

www.rvworldwide.com

We found someone in Hawaii who wanted to swap their home for an RV/Travel Trailer in New Zealand. So its off to Hawaii in May for us, in return for them using our Toyota Landcruiser and 2014 230LHS

Just wondered if y'all were aware of this site, and if anyone knew of any similar sites they can share with us.

Best regards

Carl

Make sure you have a solid liability waiver and good insurance.

PARAPTOR
02-17-2015, 07:15 AM
I simply couldn't imagine letting someone tow/use our Raptor. Not kids, brother or anybody else. Way too much involved.

X2 This is where line is drawn in the sand :rolleyes:

Festus2
02-17-2015, 07:37 AM
A different point of view .....

Several years ago, our family went Australia on an educational exchange which involved "swapping" vehicles and houses with another down under family. Both my Aussie counterparts and ourselves had RV's but we agreed beforehand not to include those as part of the exchange. We both felt that there was already enough "new stuff" to learn and experience without having to involve ourselves with the ins and outs of the RV's and RVing in a foreign land.

Long story short, the swap was trouble-free, due in large part, to the trust and confidence we had in each other to make it a success and the planning and preparation that we both undertook beforehand. We returned home after a year to find both the house and our vehicle in the same condition as when we left as did our Aussie exchangees.

Many of our friends said that, while they would have liked to have done the same thing, it was too risky and they just didn't have the nerve to do something like that. I can understand where they were coming from but I have to say they missed out on a venture that gave our family a lifetime of treasured memories and experiences.

A swap like this is not for everybody but, if done properly, it can be a very worthwhile experience.

carlosjackal
02-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys.

I am surprised to hear the some of the comments though. I would be less likely to swap homes, than the travel trailer.

Provided insurances are sorted, and both parties aren't newbees at towing a small 23' trailer, I can see the benefits of these schemes. For the price of flights and feed, its a cheap way to get around the planet for interesting holidays.

Anywhoo, my initial question was if anyone had heard about the site, or knew of any other similar sites. It sounds as if this is not the case.

Cheers

Carl

GaryWT
02-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Don't ask to borrow my Harley, Toy Hauler or Wife!

The wife too, lol.

carlosjackal
10-12-2015, 07:25 PM
hi All, I just thought I would give this discussion page another nudge.
We have completed our visit of Hawaii, the hosts were brilliant and after 1 days handover, they departed for mainland for 2 weeks while we enjoyed what hawaii had to offer.

February they are due to head over to New Zealand and take our Landcruiser and new Hideout on a great trip around the south island.

I have full confidence in their ability to look after our gear. Although not for everyone (based on the comments), I would be interested to hear of anyone else who would be interested in a swap.

regards

Carl

notanlines
10-13-2015, 03:33 AM
Carl, I can see where you seem to be headed with this, but picture a man and his wife coming to New Zealand to tow/drive your rig with no experience and "on the wrong side of the road." We spent a month in Australia (fabulous place and people) and I can't tell you how much "fun" it is approaching a roundabout at 65 miles an hour on the wrong side of the road driving from the wrong side of the car while your wife is shouting about the kangaroos in the field. Do not put a travel trailer behind me also!:D

dcg9381
10-13-2015, 06:53 AM
I took a look and didn't see any 5th wheels for "trade" in the US - most were Class-C/Class-A. Might be some trailers... I think it'd be hard to cover in terms of insurance, especially with the requirement of a Class-A on some of these rigs.