PDA

View Full Version : Best tire width for towing?

twalk225
02-12-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm looking to upgrade to an E rated tire and was wanting to know some opinions if I should go with a 12-13" wide tire or stick with a 9-11"? Any experiences towing with different width tires or would it not even make a difference?

therink
02-12-2015, 04:07 PM
If you are referring to trailer tires, I would try to stick with the OEM size that is on the sticker. If you are uupgrading from D to E, you will notice a difference in the way the trailer tows.

sourdough
02-12-2015, 04:09 PM
Stick with something very close to the factory size(s). A 12-13" wide tire presents its own problems and most of them have a negative effect on stability towing. Once they get a few miles on them they are very prone to trying to follow creases, road walk etc. I have put large tires on many of my play trucks for off road. I've used them on the highway as well but I've found that eventually they have issues. A very wide tire is a specialty tire...and that specialty is not towing. My 2014 Ram 2500 has 285/75R 20 tires and they are PLENTY wide for towing.

Larry1013
02-12-2015, 04:25 PM
I would say stick with the size of tire your vehicle manufacturer suggests or if optional size and try to purchase the E rated in that size...

twalk225
02-12-2015, 04:51 PM
If you are referring to trailer tires, I would try to stick with the OEM size that is on the sticker. If you are uupgrading from D to E, you will notice a difference in the way the trailer tows.

Sorry that I wasn't clear, but I was referring to tow vehicle tires.

bobbecky
02-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Unless you replace the wheels, you may have issues with the tire sidewalls not being as vertical as the manufacturer intended. Also, if you get too wide, in wet conditions or in a campground on wet grass or other surfaces, you will have reduced traction.

instymp
02-13-2015, 02:50 PM
I would stay with what fits the rims that came with the truck & recommended sizes. I have bought better tires that make a difference.