PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with furry family members

mom2budnbug
02-09-2015, 07:58 PM
We currently travel with our 16 year old son and 2 year old chocolate lab. We have been going back and forth on getting our lab a sibling. I grew up with many animals and could handle 2 dogs in the house, but am not so sure about 2 large dogs in the trailer. We keep asking ourselves if we are trying to talk ourselves into another dog or out of the idea? Just wondering how many travel with furry family members? What breeds? How many? Are you like us and only camp at places that allow pets? What are your favorite products for your camping pooch/cat?

Desert185
02-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Two year old Charlie is half Chihuahua and half Jack Russell Terrier. 11.5# of good boy. He's an only child and will probably stay that way. Smart, happy and affectionate little guy and a good early warning system, which is about the only time he barks, and he doesn't go on and on about it. His favorite treats are from Trader Joe's. Loves the trailer, doesn't ricochet around like some Jack Russells and travels well. He's an easy and good companion for the two of us. Obviously, we only stay where pets are allowed.

14george
02-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Travel with two Shellie's like any snacks they are quiet barks very little go to campgrounds that allow pets

crash
02-10-2015, 04:33 AM
These are our babies Rebel is a 3 year old 86 lbs English bulldog and his sister Cocoa is an 8 year old 48 lbs border collie we keep her hair cut short so it is not an issues shedding.They both love life on the road.

Javi
02-10-2015, 04:54 AM
Two beagles, one 13" and one 15" and they are a handful; very much akin to having two six year old boys. We take them with us because no one will keep them, even the pet boarding places will only keep them once.. :D

GaryWT
02-10-2015, 05:28 AM
We have a Bischon Poo, small dog. She loves to camp and is a good dog. She belongs to the kids but they are gone now... She will be our last dog as having a dog limits us too much. To go to a campground that allows dogs but then states you can not leave your dog at the site or in the trailer if you are not there does not work for us. You can't bring the dog most places in the campground or out so we are limited. When we go places that we will be a the beach or an amusement park or something we need to find someone to watch her for the week or weekend as you can't leave her or take her. Also, sometimes we like to stop at a restaurant on the way home but we cannot if it is hot so... The kids are grown and our freedom is limited by their dog, go figure.

byrdr1
02-10-2015, 05:46 AM
two Lhasa-Apsos
One 7 year girl, ball of fire and loves to go camping.
One 13 year old boy, he is blind in one eye and can't see but shadows in the other. loves to eat and sleep.. BUT at his age. He can get up and down the camper steps real good for now. We worry about him because of his age. He is the first dog we had live beyond the 10 year mark.

SAABDOCTOR
02-10-2015, 06:49 AM
I laugh at the stories!! Yes we have two malamutes big ones. they are quiet dogs and travel well. the family that parks next to us has 6 labs! yep six,He wins. the only time it gets crazy is when we let all of them out in the morning then it is like a church social every one is talking (barking) then they are great for the rest of the day. we set up a portable fence bettween the two campers so all 8 dogs have a huge play pen it works out great!:banghead:

wahoonc
02-11-2015, 01:47 AM
I only have one... but he is a Jack Russel/Walker Treeing Hound mix. Everybody is his new best friend. Doesn't like being alone and will let you know about it. Couldn't see having a second fur baby, one is enough! Good part is he loves to travel and loves camping.

Aaron:cool:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14558807563_0d4990bbb8.jpg https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2939/14537193044_8052c040bb.jpg

TAZ23
02-11-2015, 02:26 AM
We have two gentle giants (newfoundlands) and where we go they go. They love to go camping and meet other campers kids, both furry and otherwise.

notanlines
02-11-2015, 02:44 AM
Patches is our second dachshund and a first-class traveler. Has only missed two states and two provinces. (No, we're NOT taking him to Hawaii) Almost ten years old, is very well behaved and only whines when he sees children or another dog (Yep, he also thinks everyone is his best friend) I don't think he would cotton to a little brother or sister however. It would be that jealousy thing at this age. We wouldn't even think of wanting to camp at a no-pet site.

crash
02-11-2015, 03:35 AM
Wahoonc our border collie was a hand full when the kids grew up and left the house with their cats,Cocoa didnt have noone to play with.getting Rebel was the best thing for her she has someone to play with and be with her all day while we are gone :D

sourdough
02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
We travel with our 4 1/2 year old pit bull mix (I guess - vet said he didn't know). She's 53 lbs. She doesn't love traveling so much but she loves being with us (wife and I). She is also very comfortable in the RV. I wouldn't want 2 large pups simply because of the room in an RV. Ours is 37' and one is enough. She doesn't run around, she is very quiet and out of the way but just doing all the things you have to do for one.....I just wouldn't want to double that.

I guess our/her favorite things are her portable house in the bedroom which has a nice, big fluffy bed inside (where she goes most of the time), her 2nd big fluffy bed in the living room, her raincoat and her box full of toys.

We go to pet friendly places but I don't worry too much about the ones that say you can't leave the dog unattended. We leave her for periods of time with no issue. She doesn't bark, unless someone tried to break in, and she doesn't mess with anything....you could leave a steak on the counter and she won't touch it unless I tell her she can have it.

Murphsmom
02-11-2015, 10:50 AM
This will be our first summer traveling with only one big dog (a three legged Lab/Chessie cross), as our old Golden crossed the Bridge last month. The two of them were great travelers together, and I have no doubt that Murphy will be great by himself. We only left them in the trailer by themselves a couple of times, and then for brief periods. I'm a bit leery of trying it with just one dog, as he has now granted himself alpha dog status, and does try to warn us about everything.

Has anyone done the doggie day care route in a strange city when both of you want or need to get out without the pups for more than a brief lunch break? I am usually the one who stays behind while hubby goes fishing/crabbing/whatever. On days when it is too hot to leave the dog in the car, it would be nice to have another option.

pawpaw
02-12-2015, 06:53 AM
http://keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=628&pictureid=3433

Darci the Dachshund with my 1-1/2 yr old Grandson...they both love to go camping!

mom2budnbug
02-12-2015, 06:20 PM
This will be our first summer traveling with only one big dog (a three legged Lab/Chessie cross), as our old Golden crossed the Bridge last month. The two of them were great travelers together, and I have no doubt that Murphy will be great by himself. We only left them in the trailer by themselves a couple of times, and then for brief periods. I'm a bit leery of trying it with just one dog, as he has now granted himself alpha dog status, and does try to warn us about everything.

Has anyone done the doggie day care route in a strange city when both of you want or need to get out without the pups for more than a brief lunch break? I am usually the one who stays behind while hubby goes fishing/crabbing/whatever. On days when it is too hot to leave the dog in the car, it would be nice to have another option.

So sorry for your loss. My golden has been gone for nearly two years and I still miss her dearly. I know she would have loved camping with us. I have never tried doggie day care. I am usually the one that stays behind to be the dog sitter.

talk2cpu
02-14-2015, 06:25 PM
We have 3 and it appears this may limit us in some facilities. Of course, just like handguns, if they don't allow........ we have wheels.
One 13 year old Multipoo who loves to travel, camp, be with "Mom and Dad" and spend the summers at the lake. Also a pair of Mulchi's, 1.5 years, brothers that love to travel, run and run and run. We are working on their barking so more camping friendly. We do all this in a 25 footer. Yeah, I know and we are.:)

chuckster57
02-14-2015, 08:08 PM
We have 3 and it appears this may limit us in some facilities. Of course, just like handguns, if they don't allow........

3 indoor cats... not a problem even in non pet parks out here. Since I am a retired LEO with a CCW, I just don't tell them about the 9mm, .357 and .500 magnum.

Desert185
02-14-2015, 08:15 PM
3 indoor cats... not a problem even in non pet parks out here. Since I am a retired LEO with a CCW, I just don't tell them about the 9mm, .357 and .500 magnum.

Yeah, don't advertise the hardware. :cool:

wahoonc
02-15-2015, 03:36 AM
Yeah, don't advertise the hardware. :cool:

Amen...

Pentagon
02-15-2015, 06:59 AM
We travel with a 135 lbs Bouvier Des Flandres , people ask if he is a black bear. He is good in the truck and Fifth wheeler

koko
02-18-2015, 09:44 AM
Ours is a 55 lb. beagle mix. She loves to travel and is quiet. We took a trip for 51 days. She was awesome, but there were so many limitations. We couldn't take her to the beach, so we couldn't go. It was too warm to leave her in the car, so no Boston Freedom Trail - no Gettysburg. All in all, we had a great time but with some regrets since we had traveled so far to be deprived of a few sights and experiences. She's not good at a kennel.

wesaysoracing
02-18-2015, 01:07 PM
6 year old long haired wiener dog, and a 9 month old calico cat goes with me

notanlines
02-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Koko, you have a FIFTY FIVE POUND beagle mix.......mixed with what? Maybe you could give us a picture of this beast?

wahoonc
02-18-2015, 02:58 PM
Koko, you have a FIFTY FIVE POUND beagle mix.......mixed with what? Maybe you could give us a picture of this beast?

My Jack Russel/Walker Treeing Hound weighs 50# or so.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2881/11760580724_89770946ee_z.jpg

Sicapo
02-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Me, my wife, and a 80# Bernese Mountain dog in a 195RB Passport.
Feels a little crowded on rainy days...

koko
02-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Our dog is half tall beagle and half greyhound. I'll attempt a picture!

notanlines
02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Koko, thanks for the reply. I'm going to not respond with any smart aleck remarks about the initial "get-together" between his mom and dad.:D

Javi
02-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Heck I got a 50 pound Beagle and he ain't mixed...:D Meet Peyton Manning and Barney Ray... Barneys the little one.. "bouncey:

Kristi
02-19-2015, 10:17 AM
Dusty is our 3 year old shih Tzu. He loves camping. Can you tell he's a bit spoiled?

SAABDOCTOR
02-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Our dogs spoiled? No way... Yea right!they are spoiled and we all love it!"bouncey:

Barbell
02-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Two Golden Retrievers; male is 90lbs, female is 65. Excellent travelers. We have been to New England and East Coast twice with them with no problems. We leave them in the fiver most of the time with the radio or tv on for company and have never had a complaint about them. The big one will bark at a tollbooth attendant once in a while and he licks my ear when he gets hot, but otherwise they both are a joy. Had a neighbor in a North Carolina campground tell about their two Labs who get into fights in their backseat. Never had that problem. When we are making arrangements for our next stop, we always mention the dogs. Won't stay there if its a problem.

Milty911
02-21-2015, 11:33 AM
We have two Bullmastiffs, Logan and Jazz. We can't wait to take them out in our Toy Hauler and go for some nice walks. Logan is about 135 pounds and Jazz is 110. Both brindle.

chris199
02-22-2015, 05:02 AM
Reagan goes everywhere with us...6 lb Yorkie

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/48d939c10df563fd22f27f5f4b895751.jpg

moniteaufarm
02-22-2015, 09:14 AM
we have three Chinese Crested dogs and a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We just traded our 26ft Puma TT for a 2012 Cougar 318sab which we've not had out yet. We put up portable fences, a short one that runs along the underside of the camper and behind the stairs secured with bungee cords, then the others are self-standing, folding like accordians, so they can be configured to fit the space as needed. We have never had any issues from any campground about the number of dogs, nor the fences. We stayed in Yellowstone last summer and had a very large area fenced. We did get in trouble there when we forgot to put away the water bowl before leaving.:) On that trip the Corgi was just 10 weeks, so he had to go with us all day, the other dogs stayed in the camper. We string lights around the fence most of the time, which makes it nice to keep an eye on the dogs and it looks nice, always get compliments on the lights. When we are in bugless and ACless weather we leave the camper door open and the dogs can run in and out as they please while we are there with them. Also makes it easier to clean up after them rather than taking each on a walk and picking up after them along the way. The fences do add some weight to the rig, but we think it is well worth it.

denverpilot
02-24-2015, 01:31 PM
These two troublemakers travel with us on most trips...

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/950c62eb612f85e62e6bd2e5ffaa335e.jpg

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/24/19fa69326eaf6a426f90ebb4614bebf7.jpg

Actually the little girl hasn't been on a trip yet. We just got her this fall. The big boy at 85 lbs is pretty good at finding out if I stabilized the fiver correctly, just walking around he can create small earthquakes. ;)

GMcKenzie
02-25-2015, 08:09 PM
2 Westies that love anyone. We have 6 sections of dog fencing so we can set up a pretty big area for them to run around without having to worry about tangles. They sleep in the same crate they sleep in at home and travel fine in the backseat. They just need to be let out every couple of hours so I plan the drive accordingly.

pakuma
02-27-2015, 08:24 PM
We travel with 2 Gordon setters. I made a platform for the rear seat of the truck and they do very well in all situations so far. Although once in a while the younger one (93 pounds) will come and get into the bed at night.

mom2budnbug
03-08-2015, 08:55 PM
Thanks for sharing all your loved ones! When I started this thread, we just had the 2 year old 50 Lb. chocolate lab. We now have a 8 week old cockapoo that will be traveling with us as well.