PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Dodge Ram 5.7 with 3.21 axle

Paul pg
02-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Hey, I'm very new to the rv world and I am looking at buying a 2015 hideout 28bhs we. Its slated as being 6500 lb dry.

The rv sales guy said my truck would pull it no problem, but I'm not so sure.

When I spoke to dodge about it they seemed to be a bit clueless and instantly said yes without really looking into it. When I said the sticker on the door only says 6900lb he said that dodge don't put the towing capacity on the door and that I woudnt even know it was there when towing.

Am I being over cautious or are the experts right, surely they can't be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 v8 crew cab 6'4 box Laramie 3.21 axle

audio1der
02-08-2015, 10:38 PM
You will over weight as soon as you as propane, batteries and only the bare essentials.
The engine has tons of power but you neutered it with the 3.21 rear end. And you haven't even touched on payload, the RAM achilles, yet.

Pmedic4
02-09-2015, 08:55 AM
One of the nice things about the RAM trucks, is they have a good webpage which runs a calculator for providing your trucks towing capacity.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

You can select your specific model and features, so it gives you the exact capacities of your truck. What is especially nice, is you can adjust the payload up or down, within the limits of your truck, to adjust your towing capacity. Note, that doesn't change the capacity of your truck, just where you put all that 'stuff'.

Personally, I don't think the other truck manufacturers have as good calculators, just a table showing the vehicle and some partial weight limits. Those charts still valid, just not as simple to see how your payload affects towing capacity.

Audio1der is correct, the 3.21 rear end impacts your towing capacity. Many years ago, I had a work pickup which came with a 2.85 rearend, and when not towing it was fine. Unfortunately, when we hooked up our work trailer, we had a hard time getting moving, and just took minutes to get up to speed - not seconds!

Paul pg
02-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Cool tool on the ram webpage.

According the the slider I can tow 7500lb. With 2 passengers

Is that good enough?

Desert185
02-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Interesting.

2015 heavy duty, crew cab, manual, 4x4:

2500's only have 3.42 (standard)

3500's have 3.42 (option) and 3.73 (standard), which considerably changes the payload/towing weight.

The 3500 is only ~$2000 MSRP more the than the 2500. Why buy the 2500, especially after looking at the payload difference?

SAABDOCTOR
02-09-2015, 11:09 AM
PAUL you are looking at 1000lbs of cargo that includes any water propane the batteries dishes cloths and grill toys etc. you'll eat that up real quick. light camper or bigger truck. that eco rear end is a killer! If it was me i would look for a different trailer but if you think you will move up to bigger camper trust me the DW has a way of making that happen the go for broke and upgrade the truck! I am glad I did:banghead:

GaryWT
02-09-2015, 12:13 PM
I towed for 3 years with a 150 that had a 3.15 rear end. It towed fine and pick up was good. Had a 5.4 liter engine. That said and not knowing your payload, you are tight at only 7,500 when the trailer starts out at 6,500. As others have said, everything adds up and although some things don't add much like towels, it is part of the equation. Clothes, food, drinks, chairs to be by the fire, grill, dishes or paper goods, bedding, pots and pans and so on. I am sure the truck can do it but you want to be sure it is safe and that the truck does not quit on you.

Paul pg
02-09-2015, 02:38 PM
So, I called Chrysler Ram headquarters and spoke to the customer rep who pulled up the trucks details via the VIN number she stated it can tow up to 1050lbs.....

Confusing.... not at all!!!

Voyager
02-09-2015, 03:20 PM
I have a 2014 ram 1500 crewcab 4x4 5.7 hemi and 8 speed transmission with 3.92 gears, mine is rated at 10,050, I don't think I would want to tow the trailer your describing with 3.21

x96mnn
02-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Towed a Sprinter 266, 6500 pds dry but was 8000 pds loaded up with propane and a full tank of fresh at the scales.

I knew the camper was there, it did not tow awful, BUT, for my driving compfort I did not like to travel in winds over 30mph and expect to keep the speed limit. For my ability I got very tired after about 3hrs of towing.

My truck was a 2011 with 3.55 rear, rated at 9200pds and had close to 1500pds payload, (slt with 17" rims and only options were starter and leather wrapped steering wheel). I had a reese dual cam anti sway system, airlift 1000 airbags and E rated tires. My freind has a similar truck and tows a 30ft trailer with a dry weight of 5500pds and you do not know the trailer is behind you. Was towed with my truck and now his 2014 ram.

Again this is my experiance, he drove my setup and said it was fine, each person is different when it comes to what the like and do not like. I was not a fan but it did the job for 3yrs. When I got a bigger truck we travel a lot more now, but still camo about the same ammount of nights.

The 1050 sounds like they may have quoted you your payload. There is a sticker on the driver door frame, it will tell you your payload. I do think your max tow is more like 7500. Key word THINK.

Hope you find my experiance of some value.

T3/T4 Hybrid
02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
Paul, here is a chart from Dodge to verify what your truck can tow and haul.

Scroll down the chart until you find the exact model and trim level of your truck.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CHkQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rambodybuilder.com%2F2014%2Fd ocs%2Fram%2Frammlup1500.pdf&ei=-VPZVPWBEIK4ggShjgM&usg=AFQjCNE7QTqxbLTuoOIYtocrNuNCrsTkjA

audio1der
02-09-2015, 05:56 PM
So, I called Chrysler Ram headquarters and spoke to the customer rep who pulled up the trucks details via the VIN number she stated it can tow up to 1050lbs.....

Confusing.... not at all!!!

That uninformed "helper" who should not be manning the phones, gave you your payload capacity, not towing capacity.

SAABDOCTOR
02-10-2015, 06:41 AM
i was on the dodge web site no way 10.5k what does the sticker on the door post tell you? any acc you added to the truck? likebrush guards light bars wheels/tires all will chang the payload. I still think you are too close.

sourdough
02-10-2015, 05:06 PM
The 3.21 axle isn't for towing. It's for highway economy. Can it tow? Yes. Is it good at it? No.

Your truck (I pulled 2014 - you didn't give a year but it should be close to most recent years) has a max tow of 7850lbs and a payload of 1225. The trailer weighs 6630 dry and has a payload of 2880. Hitch weight is 720.

If you max the trailer weight you have overloaded the truck. Dry hitch weight is 720 plus propane/batteries/loading etc. Figure 900. That leaves you 325 lbs. to put in the truck; ie; passengers, hitch weight (add 100), bikes, tools, etc. etc. You will be overloaded on payload - considerably.

Those are just base, quick look numbers and they say you need a smaller trailer. The hemi will pull it, but not well, with a 3.21. I've pulled a trailer about that same weight (loaded weight) with a 3.55 rear end and it did not like wind or hills. The 3.21 will have a very hard time unless your spinning about 4000rpm in 3rd. Plus, you will be overweight in most areas which isn't safe for you, your family or others. JMHO

Oh, by the way. An RV salesman would tell you you could pull a 45' 5er with a tricycle so don't believe them - look up the numbers.

Paul pg
02-11-2015, 07:33 AM
Well thanks for the info much more help than any of the experts who sell the vehicles!

So the 3.92 axles vehicle would be able to tow the trailer sufficientt?

Just out of interest what sort of mpg do you get out the ram with that axle compared to the 3.21, and does that make it slower 0-60?

Many thanks

Desert185
02-11-2015, 07:57 AM
Well thanks for the info much more help than any of the experts who sell the vehicles!

So the 3.92 axles vehicle would be able to tow the trailer sufficientt?

Just out of interest what sort of mpg do you get out the ram with that axle compared to the 3.21, and does that make it slower 0-60?

Many thanks

3.21 = slower acceleration

3.92 = faster acceleration

Edit: Make sure you specify a limited slip differential when the time comes.

JRTJH
02-11-2015, 08:11 AM
I did some online "comparison shopping" of window stickers for available 2014 RAM 1500 quad cab 4x4 trucks. Assuming you can believe the EPA/DOT fuel comparison on the window stickers, here's what I found:

AXLE RATIO.....AVERAGE MPG.....CITY.....HIGHWAY
3.21................17......................15.... ...21
3.92................16......................14.... ...20

It has always been my understanding that a lower gear ratio (3.92) is quicker to accelerate than a higher gear ratio (3.21).

I hope that helps some.

sourdough
02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
The higher (numerically) the axle ratio the faster the acceleration.

The 3.92 ratio won't make the truck sufficient to tow that particular trailer in every respect. It does give you an increase in the max tow weight from 7850lbs to 9900 so you probably wouldn't exceed that category. Unfortunately it only increases your payload to 1264lbs vs 1225 with the 3.21; an increase of only 39lbs. That is where you will encounter the problem.

The 5.7 hemi with a 3.92 will pull the trailer - many pull things similar. The issue is payload and usually is with the Ram 1500 series. Whatever you choose make sure you get a good WDH with sway control.

Towing an 8500lb trailer with th 5.7/3.92 I got 8-9 mpg overall.

Desert185
02-11-2015, 08:16 AM
Not much difference in mileage. Regardless, you get a truck because its a truck. If you're looking for good gas mileage, get a Prius (yuck).

Paul pg
02-11-2015, 01:43 PM
Yup. Thanks for the info. I'm really angry at dodge right now as no one seems to know what they are talking about. I feel like dropping the the keys off and telling them to give me a truck that can do what they told me I can do.

JRTJH
02-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Paul,

Good Luck !!! Most salesmen seem to move from dealership to dealership as they find their commissions drying up. Many of them have never towed with any of the offerings, have no idea what the trucks are capable of doing and their only information seems to come from the brochure that is provided by the manufacturer. Unfortunately, many of those salesmen can't read and interpret what they read, so the information they "spew" to the potential buyers is suspect at best and often downright wrong.

It's difficult, in any dealership, to find someone who is an RV'er and who understands the RV needs and is able to (or willing to) separate his commission from the "honest truth" about the product he is trying to sell. Salesmen usually have a hungry family at home and that makes total objectivity a difficult item to find.

Do your homework, ask questions here and on other forums and try to separate the "chest beaters*" from those who are trying to help you understand the confusing information.

*chest beaters: those who stand on their hood beating their chest and bragging that they do it all the time and you can too... Usually they will use the phrase, "Here, hold my beer and watch this."

Paul pg
02-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I Just called the dealership and spoke to the chap who sold the truck to us, he kept saying that the figure on the door, is not the towing capacity of the truck but the weight of the truck..... :confused:

After a long conversation about things he seemed to be making up as he went along he asked me to bring it in and see what they can do to fix it.

I was originally told 'yeah this can tow 10'000 lbs and you won't even know you're towing it.'

So as far as I'm concerned I want a truck they sold me 8 months ago.

Anyway thanks for the info, its amazing how many different versions I've heard so far hopefully I will get something sorted.

We only have a little family so I dont expect to be loading up with 2000lbs anyway but obviously with the 3.21 axle ram won't pull the skin of custard.

BirchyBoy
02-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Good luck. Their solution will be to give you a lowball trade on a more capable truck. Caveat emptor and all of that good stuff :(

sourdough
02-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Paul,

Tell your "salesman" to pull up Ram's own website that spells out the towing capacities for trucks. Give him this link and tell him to explain his towing statements to you and the GM of the dealership.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

Good luck!

BlueThunder34
02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
I know the feeling, when I purchased my 2014 RAM the dealer told me it would tow 10,500lbs. Well I have the 3.55 rear end so I'm really only rated at about 9,000lbs and 1495lbs pay load. Like many here have said you will max payload on any half ton long before you reach max tow ratings. I couldn't imagine pulling a 9,000lbs trailer with my truck safely. Can it be done? I guess as some do, but I wouldn't risk my safety or others safety on the road with an overloaded truck. Its just not worth it, life could change in the blink of an eye. We have an approx. 7,000lbs (fully loaded with propane, gear, water, etc) 24' BH and I have towed that load many times over the eastern Washington mountains with a 2014 RAM 1500 4X4 Quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi and 3.55 rear end. The truck handles the hills fine and I'm sure the 3.92 rear end would be even better but with that said I don't think I would go much over that weight and still feel confident. WDH is obviously a must and I would also recommend air bags (AIRLIFT 1000s) in the rear springs to give a little more confidence with sway and rear sag. Keep in mind the air bags WILL NOT increase your payload rating from the factory but it does stabilize the ride at heavy loads IMO.

Paul pg
02-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Thats interesting mate.

So as I understand the only only difference is the different gear ratio?

If everything else is the same, how can the safety be altered?
Surely the only thing that would change would be its ability to towa trailer up or down hill and with a headwind?

So really the only difference would be that your going to burn your engine and transmition out sooner?

You would think that dodge build a safety margine into the figures too, ie if you go one pound over all of a sudden it's now dangerous in some way?

Anyway going to see dodge tomorrow. See what bs they try and spin me.

Desert185
02-11-2015, 10:32 PM
My personal limit with a half ton has always been 7,000# trailer weight. The figures I've seen lately of around 10,000# seem over the top.

BlueThunder34
02-12-2015, 07:48 AM
The 5.7 Hemi is an extremely reliable engine and has more than enough power to pull any of the rated weights listed, same can be said for the trans. The gear ratios come in to play to get the load moving i.e. the 3.21 will take quite a bit longer to get up to speed on the on ramps than say the 3.92 will. The same goes for climbing steep grades, they have nothing to do with how the 1/2 ton chassis handles the weight of a trailer. I feel that the touted "10,000lbs" tow rating is really more of a marketing statement by the big 3 automakers in the 1/2 ton category. The issue with safety comes when you begin to exceed the payload limits of these trucks which makes them very unstable and difficult to control in emergency situations. I just don't see a way you could have a 10,000lbs trailer yet still be at or below a 1,500lbs payload once you figure in hitch weight, gear, WDH, fuel, passengers, etc. I'm by no means an expert but to me the math on that doesn't add up. You will hear from both extremes I'm sure that either they can pull more than 10k with a half ton with no issues or the other extreme that you need a 1 ton to pull a 5,000lbs trailer safely. Just on my experience I feel that realistically a 7,000lbs trailer (loaded "wet") seems to feel and handle the most predictably when heavy braking, side winds, climbing and descending steep grades. And within this trailer weight you are likely to keep your payload in specs for the truck. I have had heavier loads on this truck before and to me it just felt more like the trailer was in control vs the truck, but hey to each their own.

Paul pg
02-12-2015, 08:02 AM
:) good info. Thanks

Ken / Claudia
02-12-2015, 11:25 AM
This post is so like many others. Salesman want to sell and close the deal. Really do many care about your vehicles needs or wants. They will say talk to sound like it is what you want if your interested. As a buyer our only hope is to know the vehicle and what is designed for and expected to do by the builder. I think with a truck purchase we should go onto the lot and state we want to deal with a truck salesman. One who really knows them, what they can and cannot do as a truck. Buying a truck to pull rvs is not about mpg or cup holders it is about what can it pull and carry.

talk2cpu
02-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Paul, I would be very interested to hear the results. It is amazing how fast the cargo capacity goes down. My 1300 lb payload became 1050 with the RamBox option. Good luck getting any satisfaction from the dealer.
Let us know.
Tom

Paul pg
02-14-2015, 06:49 PM
I spoke with the salesman who obvious answer was a new 2015 truck built to order because apparently the 3.92 axle is hard to come by. We said we weren't going to spend any more on a truck as we just want the truck they told we were getting.

Interestingly..... If anyone has checked out the ram towing chart this week it's now totally different than the week before. Instead of 1050lbs it's now 9700 or something similar.
Perhaps they have started realizing their claims to be false and misleading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x96mnn
02-14-2015, 09:20 PM
Paul

The truck you have is most likly rated for 7500 pds. With a payload of around 1100 pds.

Be careful of what your wishing for here. The truck you have will be better at normal driving and not as good for towing but only at start up. The feel and handle of your truck compared to a 10500pd tow capacity ram1500 will be no different, other then with a trailer hooked up the truck will with the 3.93 rear end will get there quicker.

If you drive your truck not towing 75% to 90% of the time, you may want to keep what you have.

Paul pg
02-14-2015, 10:06 PM
I have pondered over this for a while but can't find any info regarding drawbacks for a 3.92 axle?

BirchyBoy
02-15-2015, 06:27 AM
The drawback will be higher rpm's at every speed and slightly less MPG's. It will be better to get going but will have less top speed, which hopefully you won't use. Personally, I'd take the 3.92 ratio. If you want high MPG's, get a car.

Paul pg
02-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Has anyone got a 3.92 axle?

sourdough
02-15-2015, 12:43 PM
I've had the Ram 1500 hemi with both the 3.55 and 3.92 axles. I've not driven one with the 3.21 but I've driven older pickups years ago with axles in the 3.2x range.

You will find the 3.21 will have trouble with the load; not because of the engine but because 3.21 is simply too low for towing much. It will be affected by any headwind, any small incline and even small amounts of payload will signifcantly degrade its performance. I pulled an 8000 lb trailer with the 3.55. It did OK but a stiff headwind made it hunt for gears until I just locked it in 4th. Same came for moderate inclines. The 3.92 was considerably better and didn't hunt near as much. I didn't lock it in 4th generally but at times I did. Mileage between the two might have been 1 mpg or so...I really didn't compare but it wasn't much. As the numeric number of the axle ratio goes up the faster the engine spins at a given speed. I've never seen that as an issue. I've had a 4.10 in a 1500 and loved it. I only towed a uhaul trailer with that one.

ncgrl1
02-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I have the 3.92 and would not consider having anything less. Would have gotten a 4.10 if they offered it.

Paul pg
02-15-2015, 02:33 PM
What mpg are you getting?

sourdough
02-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Pulling a the 8000 - 8500lb trailer I got 8-9 (sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on towing conditions) with the 3.55 and really about the same with the 3.92 - the 3.92 just pulled the load easier and stayed in the power band better. On the highway I got anywhere from 15-19 depending on how and where I was going. I live in TX and speed limits are 75. Running 75/80 I got around 15/16.

Paul pg
02-15-2015, 03:11 PM
What you get without towing?

sourdough
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Pulling a the 8000 - 8500lb trailer I got 8-9 (sometimes better, sometimes worse depending on towing conditions) with the 3.55 and really about the same with the 3.92 - the 3.92 just pulled the load easier and stayed in the power band better. On the highway I got anywhere from 15-19 depending on how and where I was going. I live in TX and speed limits are 75. Running 75/80 I got around 15/16.

The last two sentences with mpg were without towing.

bigredcherokee
02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
I have the same setup and I keep it in 4 with tow haul on and don't have a problem. I'm towing a 7k trailer with 4 people.

Take off slow and keep your foot out of it and it will do fine.

I did put air ride on the back and run about 15 lbs of air with a weight distribution hitch

bigredcherokee
02-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Our last trip from Shreveport to Branson I got 10 mpg. Now I didn't run the Ac on the way up but keep it around 60 /65 since that's what my trailer tires are rated at.

I thought about doing a gear Change but I'm driving city and out and about that's it's not worth it at this time.

Paul pg
02-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Thats good to know mate.
Thanks

bigredcherokee
02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/20/cfda84b088fc650c17a311576cb076fd.jpg