PDA

View Full Version : Rv show...

kguess
02-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Just got home from an Rv/ boat show in Gulfport, Ms. Holly crap, I thought it was called camping..... Don't want to make anyone mad but where are we going with this .... ? We have a 2011 hideout FLB that we love. It's comfortable , serves us well but I was caught up with bigger, better, look what this has , wow, more of this and that! When I got home, I went into my camper, sat down and said to myself, don't get caught up in the greed of bigger , newer, better. We can afford to upgrade but I'm not going to drink the kool aid . Every situation is different, but we camp 6-9 times a year, I want to use my Keystone to its fullest and wear it out, then buy a new camper.... I have to remind my self , it's called camping...... Not a luxury townhouse on Sunset Blvd. God bless....

chuckster57
02-07-2015, 05:40 PM
Spend a month with me, doing PDI's on the new stuff :eek:

I have a tee shirt that says "Camping is in-tents". We don't camp, we RV :D

Did you get a chance to look in a Class A motorhome? Heated tile floor, 4 TV's, household refer, surround sound, dishwasher.....

hankpage
02-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Just got home from an Rv/ boat show in Gulfport, Ms. Holly crap, I thought it was called camping..... Don't want to make anyone mad but where are we going with this .... ? We have a 2011 hideout FLB that we love. It's comfortable , serves us well but I was caught up with bigger, better, look what this has , wow, more of this and that! When I got home, I went into my camper, sat down and said to myself, don't get caught up in the greed of bigger , newer, better. We can afford to upgrade but I'm not going to drink the kool aid . Every situation is different, but we camp 6-9 times a year, I want to use my Keystone to its fullest and wear it out, then buy a new camper.... I have to remind my self , it's called camping...... Not a luxury townhouse on Sunset Blvd. God bless....

We don't have anything fancy. (see sig) But we have done our time in leaky tents, sleeping on rocks or roots, buzzing mosquitoes all night long, eating burnt food with ashes for seasoning and lying to kids that the animals can't get into a tent. Now it's time for recliners, flatscreens, pillow top mattresses, and a fridge that keeps the beer at a perfect 34 degrees. Life is good, life is short .... if it is what you want and can afford it ..... GO FOR IT!!!! JM2¢, Hank http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587

kguess
02-07-2015, 06:33 PM
I understand Hank, we did the tent, overnight back packing in Grizzly country ( Yellowstone, Glacier, Jasper national parks) did it all believe me, not knocking anyone, just sharing feelings with fellow campers/ RVers. I love the comfort of my Keystone ( I'm 67) not going back into a tent ever ( getting up twice a night to pee is hard enough in my camper, haha) ! God bless

chuckster57
02-07-2015, 06:45 PM
I remember tents, and bugs. We've come a long way haven't we? Friends still kid us about "camping". I love the outdoors but love sleeping between sheets and waking up to warmth even more.

T3/T4 Hybrid
02-07-2015, 06:56 PM
I have a tee shirt that says "Camping is in-tents". We don't camp, we RV :D

When the wifey and I first met we talked about going camping and I set up a nice trip. I've always had my tent on the back of a motorcycle or in my backpack out in the middle of the woods on a trail. What a shocker it was for the DW because camping to her was "dad hooking up to the TT for mom and off they go with kitchen sink and all". :D

I had to reduce the tent nights to include a good 50% hotel stays. Being up in Canada with the wild life was a blast for me but lots of lost sleep for the DW :eek: That was her first and last. :( I should get the DW that shirt. LOL

kguess, I was thinking the same thing when I went to the RV show here in Charlotte a couple weeks ago! Those travel trailers are nicer than some homes! Not much real camping!

KanTC
02-07-2015, 06:59 PM
.....not going back into a tent ever (getting up twice a night to pee is hard enough in my camper, haha)!.....

:rofl: and my after-dinner cup of coffee is now all across my computer screen! You got me with that one :rofl:

and still giggling... Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

GmaPaTime
02-07-2015, 07:14 PM
We joke and call our camper the "Waldorf on Wheels". Better equipt than our first apartment and cost more than our first house. :D

We often talk about our first pop up camper and thought that was living at the time but as we get older, those comforts of home sure are nice.

GaryWT
02-07-2015, 09:11 PM
As long as you have a picnic table and fire pit, it is camping.

We love our camper but someday we will probably downsize some, don't see us getting any bigger.

GT2400BH
02-08-2015, 05:29 AM
DW and I went to our first RV show here Michigan a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. We were hoping for more camping accessories it was just jam packed full of RV's. A very little accessories. so many RV you couldn't hardly walk thru. They could have fewer expensive rigs fir sure.
Does anyone do a show with camco,domatic and other accessories manufactures Didn't see anthing on the Internet when searching.

zuley
02-08-2015, 06:55 AM
I certainly agree with you kguess. When we ordered our new 23RB two years ago I questioned if there would be a discount if the TV was taken out. Who camps with a TV??? Well, it was included in the package but amazing the number of times on a chilly evening we've curled up on the coach and watched an episode of Big Bang on the DVD.
Our lifestyles of leading us away from camping and more into glamping.

Desert185
02-08-2015, 09:43 AM
A friend, who we just visited, has a lot in a very high-end motorhome park in the Palm Springs area. This very exclusive park has a security staff, golf course, five-star restaurant, a lake connecting many of the lots with private cabanas and swimming pools, electric boats, custom golf carts, a proliferation of palm trees and so on...you get the idea. These folks park their motorhomes there for the winter season mostly for weekend getaways.

The majority of the motorhomes there were Newell and Prevost. During a party one night called "Denim and Diamonds" (really) with a band and food, etc., a new motorhome was on display/for sale. It was over 40' with a tag axle...big. Price? $2.4 million.

Thankfully, the wifey and I are happy to travel (I am reluctant to say camp) and very satisfied in our very appropriate for us 5er. I guess I'm just a simple guy. I don't even want a new truck with all the whistles and bells. If I could tow with my very simple '72 El Camino, I would.

As a side note, our friends, who don't have a Newell or Prevost are selling their lot. It was all a bit too much.

Ken / Claudia
02-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Rvs and boats many get them and go thru the thought, should I have purchased the other one 2 foot bigger. Some trade up, some not but, many think about it.

sherri330
02-08-2015, 06:05 PM
Camping, Glamping or RVing...whatever you want to call it. Bottom line is, we go on more vacations now than we ever did before because our hotel room has wheels and all of our personal stuff in it. We too started in tents, but now we enjoy all the comforts of home only with changing views. At some point, I'm sure we'll say "enough" with the upgrades, but for now, we still enjoy looking at all the new designs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LaTundra
02-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Ask my DW if she ever went tent camping, she will smile and say "once".

GmaPaTime
02-09-2015, 07:31 AM
Ask my DW if she ever went tent camping, she will smile and say "once". LOL!!!

Exactly what my DW would say. She don't do bugs!!

halfprice
02-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Ask my DW if she ever went tent camping, she will smile and say "once".

That's my wife also :)

We went to a show this weekend also. Actually it was a sale event. We only went to look at the Class As. They sure are nice. I have back packed all over Ca. and tent camped when I was in my 20s. Now at 55 I'd rather sleep in a nice bed and yes watch some tv or a movie at night. Its still camping to me. Hiking, fishing, of just taking a nap on my hammock its all good and relaxing.

In 2 years the house will be paid off and the wife and I will retire. We've been talking about getting a Class A. The plan is to travel the states and Canada. Taking a month or two couple times a year and just go some where.
If we do this I want comfort.

Now the big question: gas or diesel.

Jerry

Desert185
02-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Diesel. Period. End. :cool:

koko
02-09-2015, 01:33 PM
As long as we have a trailer that can get us down a mountain road, that's camping. Camping right now. 50 and pouring down rain. Thank goodness for campers.

chuckster57
02-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Diesel. Period. End. :cool:

X2..I've driven both, no comparison.

glenalt
02-09-2015, 05:15 PM
The wife and I always said camping for us was a queen bed at the Hampton Inn instead of a King. We've had 1 holiday Rambler TT, 1 30' Motor Home and now we have our 5er. All the comforts of home, flat screens and all. We are in it now in Charlotte. Even though it's raining we are warm and comfortable. No way am I going into a tent.

buzzcop63
02-09-2015, 10:57 PM
When I was a kid we tent camped, mom and dad did all the work and I did not like it then and I will not do it now. Dad finally got a 16' travel trailer and I was in paradise, a bed to sleep in, no bugs, kerosene lamp burning, and icebox for food. Had to go outside for the bathroom but otherwise we were snug as a bug in a rug! Today the more luxuries we can have the better, at 70 years old their is not a whole lot of time left and I intend to enjoy it as much as possible, being cold, wet and miserable is something I no longer have to put up with.

chris199
02-10-2015, 03:48 AM
We really struggled with whether to upgrade or not. Here is our recent post on this. Maybe it is just a rationalization.....I dont know.....

This RV lifestyle is soooo addictive and fun!! <br />
<br />
DW and I became empty nesters a few years ago. Kids moved to NC and TN and we're up in PA. We stared at each other and said "Now what?!?" We started with B&B trips. Soon became awkward sitting in someone else's living room/den, etc. DW suggested we camp....get a hard side trailer (not a pop up like we used when the kids were little). <br />
<br />
So we started out in 2010/2011 with a 19' Passport. That was fun/great but we learned very early on it was much too small. Just one child as a quest and we were on top of one another....let alone when one of the grandkids joined us.<br />
<br />
So we upgraded to a Cougar 29 REV in 2012. Perfect for us and when one or two would join us. Little tight in the kitchen and not much room for many people on those rainy days or buggy nights.<br />
<br />
Then we started family camping trips....annual ones to Nashville, Smokies (TN side) and Smokies (NC side), recently to the Keys over Christmas. Keys trip we used 3 sites....one TT, one Class C, one rented destination trailer. Usually we'd have 10-12 people per trip. Some in tents (until it rained of course). One/two in a Class C. At the Keys over Christmas, fourteen people enjoyed the fun: DW/DH, kids (3 grown), spouses (2), grandkids (3), sister-in-law, 2 nephews and one of their spouses.<br />
<br />
We've been tempted by 5ers for a bit now. Too over the top? Too much trailer for 2 people? Too much money for "recreation"? Well today we made another jump....we just put a deposit down on a Montana 3791RD. DW loves the layout. King bed for us (I'm a big guy). Two fold out sofas for guests, large fridge, seating for 6 on sofas + 4 at dining room table. Room to move around in the kitchen. Was thinking the deal might fall through so we kept any excitement to a minimum....saving ourselves from a letdown. <br />
<br />
Never towed a 5er before. Should be interesting. We're both really excited.....can't wait for warmer weather. Maybe we can even camp a bit earlier in this 5er. The TT was pretty cold in any wind to speak of. Will be nice when it's just the two of us and will be really handy when there's 10+ of us. We'll see.....<br />
<br />
We've had our in laws tell us..."Do it now....if you can!" Don't wait until you retire. Who knows what life's got in store. (Reinforced when we were looking at 5ers recently....one very nice "used" RV for sale that was really brand new. Husband died suddenly before it was even used.) Decided that we'll get more use out of a 5er while the grandkids are smaller....not 10 years from now when we retire and the grandkids are 17 years old on up.<br />
<br />
So here we go......<br/>

LaTundra
02-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Until she met me, DW thought "roughing it" meant going to a Bed and Breakfast.

sourdough
02-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Chris199

Your in laws are right. Do it if you can especially if your family is so into camping together. You absolutely don't want to wait until your grandkids are 17 to start making those "special" memories. We've been able to almost raise (well almost) 3 or our 4 grandkids. We have books of pictures of my grandson (26) and my two granddaughters (16-14) sharing countless times with us. I sent a picture I took (2010) of my grandgirls intently fishing on a lake in CO taken at sunset (absolutely beautiful) to my son in law day before yesterday. He called this morning and said "It's a beautiful picture and it was so fun....but we've lost our fishing buddies now; maybe we will get them back later". Make the most of it while you can.

As far as our time on earth - none of us know. I do know that I watched several men including my father in law, 2 good friends and others "wait" until they retired before they were going to do anything. My father in law had a stroke when he was 65 (he had announced his retirement). He had another and died. Never drove anywhere in the new '86 custom van he bought to take trips. Mother in law was devastated and even now talks about how they were going to travel. One friend retired at 65 after spending his life working constantly. Retired, got a new wife and motorcycle then made one trip to Sturgis. He came home and died....etc. etc. All to say that when I was 40 years old I determined I was going to do all the things I wanted to do beginning then and not wait...and we have. Good luck.

JRTJH
02-10-2015, 04:39 PM
I think the old philosopher's suggestion to forego arriving at the Pearly Gates pressed, clean and with shoes shined, but rather to get there 5 minutes late, dirty, tattered, out of breath and totally exhausted has a lot of merit....

Experience all that life has for you, there'll be time later to "think about it all"......

sourdough
02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
You're so right John. Make sure you have things in order and the bases covered but I figure I'll show up with muddy boots, fish scales clinging to my shirt, all tattered and torn but I'm sure I'll be there - I'm not aware of a way to dodge it.....:)

GmaPaTime
02-10-2015, 06:02 PM
My way of thinking is I'd rather look back and say "That was one hell of a ride" than to look back and say " Boy... I wish I had taken that ride"

Lifes to short, enjoy it while you can..... :D

kguess
02-11-2015, 06:51 AM
I must say I enjoyed all the different stories, I can relate to most of em. Camping/RVing is not for everyone, but we share so much because we are who we are. I'm so happy my wife and I got back into camping ( we got away from it for several years) and hope to start taking our two grandkids along sometime. I will retire at the end of this school year (Physical Ed. teacher) and start spending more time on the road. New truck, 2011 Hideout, and time, what more can I ask for ( well, don't go there please...) ? Hope GOD is good to us for a long time, we'll see.

BOWWOW
02-11-2015, 07:22 AM
When I was a kid a group of friends and I would go to a pond about 5 miles down a gravel road, didn't matter if we walked rode a bike or a horse, we just had to get there. We would sleep in a bag next to a fire on the sand. We would catch catfish and gig for bullfrogs all night and swim all day.
When I was 18 I woke up with a Water Moccasin in my bag. That's when I decided to get domesticated and by a tent. Shortly after I met the DW and needed a bigger tent, See where this is going? Now I look out back and see the large tuck and the 5er and it makes me laugh. But I wouldn't trade my youth years for anything.

Desert185
02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I remember the kids wanting to sleep in a tent when we had a popup trailer. On the way to the tent, my son see's a rattler. The stepdaughter at the time would have no part of the tent. It was either the back of the pickup or the trailer. My son just pressed on with the tent, but zipped it up good.

The next day, my stepdaughter was wading in a stream when a bug or something appeared to bite one of her toes. She was screaming that she was going to die. (Laughing...can't help it) That was the end of camping for her, and we eventually sold the trailer.

kguess
02-14-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm with you bowwow.......life is good!