PDA

View Full Version : Warm Tires

homer3
02-02-2015, 03:42 PM
I curious, with all the hoop la a few years ago about automobile tires getting hot and falling apart while driving in the hot desert area; does anyone carry extra water to pour onto either TV or both TV and RV tires every so often to cool them off??

chuckster57
02-02-2015, 06:53 PM
In all my years of towing I can't say I've ever carried water for pouring on tires. I have towed in 100+ degree heat for hours on end without any issues.

I even towed across Death Valley with the thermometer in the shade reading 128, the only issue I had was brakes getting hot and fading.

Ken / Claudia
02-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Until someone can say how and why that happens, I will give my opinion. PSI, people do not run tires at correct psi. Under inflation causes more heat inside the tire. People pulling trailers over loaded that causes more heat inside a tire.
Will those cause a tire to fail? Maybe when air temps are 120 it is more likely than at 60 degrees. What I found, I had 2 tires blow out in hot temps around 100 traveling for several hours at 55-65. The rubber valve stems split causing the tire to look as if it blew up. Pieces as big as my fist lying in the road. I learned about those full metal valve stems. No stems failed now for about 10 years. I also checked psi at 80 in 40 degrees in Portland, Same day in Redding CA. temps 115 degrees psi was now 96 in the tires. I have had many blow outs on police vehicles all caused by driving over road debris none by hot air temps . I once had to go from Portland to La Grande Or about 260 miles to get some badly needed police equipment there. Outside air was mid, I traveled at 100 mph or higher the whole way once outside of Portland, stopped for fuel once. No tires
failed thank god.

mazboy123
02-02-2015, 08:10 PM
really? never heard of this happening and never bringing water with you to cool tires off.

buzzcop63
02-02-2015, 10:45 PM
The following is a reply recently received from "Towmax/Power King distributor when I inquired about temperature and when it is to high. My Tire Minder gives both PSI and Temperature and has preset alarm at 167F.
1/28/2015:
We have received response from the factory and they advise the following:
“I have discussed with our engineer.
Generally, the tire temperature is less than 100 ℃ is safe.
If, the pressure is lower and driving time is too long, these can make the tyre temperature on the high side.
Temperature is too high, more than 100 ℃, the rubber material causes the degradation reaction, the material of adhesive force can drop, delaminating, flat tire, and so on”
Kindly note that 100 ℃ equals 212 Farenheit.
Correct PSI, weight and heat are critical.

Desert185
02-03-2015, 05:55 AM
I have an infrared temp sensor that I use to check tire temps when traveling and have never seen anything close to 212F on a hot day on the sunny side.

Ram189
02-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Only time I have ever sprayed water on tires is AutoXing.

We take portable sprayers with us and when it is super hot in the summer we spray the tires to cool them off between runs to try and maintain an even temperature. Spray the intercooler also to help with power.

Usually pack the sprayer with 3/4 ice in the morning and by afternoon runs it is almost all melted and water in sprayer is pretty cool. Nice cooling off the driver also after 4 or 5 runs in heat.