PDA

View Full Version : Tonneau Covers With 5th Wheel Towing

C130
01-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Any highly recommended tonneau covers for 5th wheel pulling in Ford long beds? I did a search and read several threads but wondering if anything new is out and specifically need information from 5th wheel experiences. I had the Bakflip on my F250 and really liked it except it took up over 6 inches of space behind the cab which limited the turn radius. Also completely blocks the back window when folded up. I had a slider hitch but would get very close to the Bakflip if I turned sharply.

I'm leaning towards a retractable cover this time to avoid any turning issues and also being able to see out the back window but really nothing to see anyways towing a 5th wheel so not a deal breaker either way. I've seen a couple of the retractable that look good but they are over $1500 which is on the steep side for a bed cover I think. I also prefer to not have to drill into my bed.

Another question regarding towing, is turning and cab/5th wheel clearance even much of an issue with the long bed? Would the Bakflip folded up be an issue at all like the short bed?

sw342
01-31-2015, 12:54 PM
I had a retractable bed cover on my last dually. Loved it. Could lock it in every 18". Kept everything dry and secure back there when fully closed. If I didn't have a tool box on this truck I would look into getting another one. They are not cheap that's for sure.

JRTJH
01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
We have a Tonneau-Pro trifold cover. It costs about $250 with free shipping, is vinyl and folds easily. Installing it or removing it takes all of 5 minutes and folding it for travel with the fifth wheel takes maybe a minute. There is no drilling or modification needed, it simply clamps on with the built in clamps. It doesn't leak, covers the bed when closed and folds in thirds against the front of the bed rails when stowed. We've never even come close to the cover when backing the fifth wheel and I've been in some pretty tight turns. Keep in mind, it's a functional cover, not an "OHHH and AHHHHH" kind of cover that everyone will gather around to stare at in awe. They also make a vinyl covered hard surface cover for about $500.

As for needing a sliding hitch with an 8' bed? I can't imagine any place where I'd need a sliding hitch. I would think that with the hitch in the back position and trying to maximize a turn, You'd probably "rip the axles out from under your RV" before you needed the slider.

We can easily turn to 90 degrees with our conventional fifth wheel hitch. Any more than that and you'd be pulling the trailer backwards as you hit the side of the bed with the front of the trailer below the hitch.

I've never seen anywhere I'd need a sliding hitch with an 8' bed.

Jlwright
01-31-2015, 01:38 PM
We have the same folding cover and it works great. It clears the hitch fine when folded up to the last fold.

C130
01-31-2015, 03:56 PM
We have the same folding cover and it works great. It clears the hitch fine when folded up to the last fold.

Thanks, that was what I was wanting to know. I won't be using a slider hitch now. I knew the fold up tonneau covers can take up a good 6"-8" of maneuvering space so wanted to make sure that wouldn't be an issue even with the 8 foot bed. On my short bed I would get right to the edge of the Bakflip cover backing the trailer up in my driveway with the Pullrite Superglide.

larry337
01-31-2015, 05:56 PM
I have a Truxport roll up tonneau cover. Works great. It rolls up behind the cab and gets secured by two velcro straps. When its rolled up its not in the way at all. They run about $3-350. Very easy to use even in cold weather. When it's un rolled the edges are also velcro. No snaps or buttons. Looks very clean and locks in the back by the tailgate.

gearhead
01-31-2015, 06:19 PM
I bought my F350 slightly used with 9,000 miles. It had a roll-up bed cover on it. I thought I would remove it when I got home. That was 18 months ago. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It's aluminum. I can leave it extended about 24 inches when towing. It covers the Champion generator from weather. If I leave the 5th hitch in the bed it protects it from weather.
http://www.truckcoversusa.com/

Harleyhop
01-31-2015, 08:09 PM
I also have the Tonneau Pro trifold with a short bed F-250. Works out awesome folded up and hooked up to the fiver. Also I can leave the fifth wheel hitch in and keep it out of the weather when not hooked up to the trailer. I wouldn't do it any other way since I discovered this setup.

vampress_me
01-31-2015, 08:28 PM
We have a Pace-Edwards Bedlocker on our truck. Had one on our old Dodge too. Absolutely love it. I always joke I have an 8' trunk with it. It's powder-coated aluminum slats that roll up in the front of the box. And I love that it's electric for rolling up and being able to stop it open at any distance from the tailgate. To be fair, in the middle of winter, it can freeze shut if ice gets in the track, so we have to go down each side and bang on the cover next to each rail to loosen it and then it works fine. That usually only happens if I go through the carwash though. Also, I can close the cover with the 5er hitch in too which is nice.

Well, went looking after I wrote the above, apparently the price on these has gone up since 2009...ouch!

sw342
01-31-2015, 10:24 PM
I bought my F350 slightly used with 9,000 miles. It had a roll-up bed cover on it. I thought I would remove it when I got home. That was 18 months ago. I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It's aluminum. I can leave it extended about 24 inches when towing. It covers the Champion generator from weather. If I leave the 5th hitch in the bed it protects it from weather.
http://www.truckcoversusa.com/

Thats the one I had. Great product.

dwkhumble
02-01-2015, 01:35 PM
I have an F250 Super Duty 4x4, with a SuperGlide slider hitch. I have a tonnopro cover, which folds up in three sections, and does not block the window when folded. My 280rls 5th clears the cover by about 3 inches, even on sharp turns. Cover is vinyl, over metal and has held up well. I think I paid about $ 450.00 last year.

Pmedic4
02-01-2015, 08:02 PM
We have a cheap, roll up, snap down cover on our truck bed, and I was worried even the 1 1/2" side rails would reduce the clearance for our 5vr over the bed. Hasn't been a problem or even an issue.

I personally like having the bed cover, simply because it protects the Hitch from the elements 95% of the time, and ours looks like new, but just 2 years old. Plus I'm sure the lubrication points stay a little better without being rained on all the time. Right now during winter, the hitch is sitting in the garage, and unfortunately my truck is longer than my garage, so my truck sits out 100% of the time.

Desert185
02-01-2015, 10:36 PM
We have a two-fold that folds into thirds that works pretty well. Don't remember the brand. I like it.

C130
02-02-2015, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the information and suggestions. I wound up ordering a Retrax Pro after talking on the phone with a sales guy and some recommendations from others. I was able to get a price on it that seemed really good though it's still not cheap. I was going to order the Gatorex after finding out Retrax makes it but they didn't have it for the 8 ft. bed but appears to be a little cheaper and basically the same cover.

msp2jxr
02-02-2015, 01:33 PM
I have the Retrax and have been very happy with it. I took if off my F250 2008 and moved it on to the f350 2015. I have three things I wish I could change. It too freezes shut in the winter and it rattles some when I open the back window between the bed and the cab. When I have the window closed I don't hear it. It does take up extra room at the front of the bed where it rolls up into its box. Those three negatives don't come close to the positives so I would buy another one. Mine is not electric so I didn't pay 1500 for mine. I think the new manual Retrax are around $1100.

C130
02-02-2015, 03:34 PM
I have the Retrax and have been very happy with it. I took if off my F250 2008 and moved it on to the f350 2015. I have three things I wish I could change. It too freezes shut in the winter and it rattles some when I open the back window between the bed and the cab. When I have the window closed I don't hear it. It does take up extra room at the front of the bed where it rolls up into its box. Those three negatives don't come close to the positives so I would buy another one. Mine is not electric so I didn't pay 1500 for mine. I think the new manual Retrax are around $1100.

Mine's not electric either, it's the Retrax Pro, 8 foot bed. It actually was listed at around $1900 everywhere I looked online and was able to get a discount. The 8 foot vs 6.5 was quite a bit of difference but looks like you have an F-350 so assume yours is 8 ft too. Definitely expensive but like the looks of it and the reviews.

msp2jxr
02-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Both my F250 and F350 where short beds. I think you will be very happy with the Retrax. I like the fact I can pull it closed over my hitch and even when the trailer is hooked I pull the cover back to the pin. Also when you close it and lock everything it is secured. I have even stood on mine although I don't recommend it. I am vertically challenged so not much weight either. LOL enjoy...

jonbiker
02-21-2015, 11:44 AM
I installed the Truxedo Deuce on my Ram 2500 because I have a toolbox at the front of the bed. I put the same tool box in the 3500 and a new Truxedo Deuce. The cover folds back at bed over the toolbox so I have access when the cover is on. The cover rolls all the way back to the window when towing or I need to carry something that is higher than the bed rails. With the cover on and the 3500 tailgate locked, the contents of the bed are pretty secure and dry. The cover would have to be cut for anything to be stolen.

PARAPTOR
02-21-2015, 12:28 PM
X2, I also installed the Truxedo Deuce on my Silverado 3500 long bed and have a toolbox at the front of the bed. Very convenient for getting into the toolbox with the cover rolled out. other features as described previously by jonbiker

Just wished I would have purchased and installed it the day the truck as purchased. Nice to be able to hide/protect that hitch when not in use.

MBD
02-22-2015, 05:37 PM
I've got the Retrax Pro (manual) model and didn't get the deals that some have posted. I really like it. The only drawback is the canister that the cover rolls up into - it limits my choices regarding auxillary fuel tanks. My bed is the 6' not the 8', so I am sure that also plays a part.