PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 1500 Diesel Oil

bsmith0404
01-30-2015, 05:21 AM
I hadn't paid much attention to the new Dodge 1500 Eco Diesel since it's too small for my trailer anyway. Have seen some talk about it here, but don't remember anyone saying much about the oil. I was talking to a good friend of mine yesterday who recently bought one. He needed an oil change, called around a few places and nobody carried what he needed. Called the Dodge dealership and was given a price of over $300 for the change, $85 for a filter and $20 per qt of oil, needs 11 qts.

He found some oil on Amazon for $7 something a qt and a filter for $40. Still over $100 for DIY. I did some checking on-line, apparently it takes an Ultra Euro L spec oil that is still hard to find in the US. Saw a few people talking about Mobil 1 ESP, NAPA Liqui-Moly, and Pennzoil Ultra Euro that meet the spec, all full synthetic oil, most not stocked at local stores yet, and around $10per qt.

Further research found that the Dodge recommended oil change is about 10k miles. I would have expected a longer interval out of such a special oil.

My point, this is one thing that most people don't look at when they are shopping for a new TV. Not saying it's necessarily bad, just something you should be aware of. Most people think they can just pull into their neighborhood Jiffy Lube or walk into Walmart when it's time for an oil change, not so with this truck, at least not yet.

hankpage
01-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Definitely something to consider when buying but as they get more popular parts will be more available and prices cheaper. Geno's Garage, online, already has the Mopar oil filters (http://www.genosgarage.com/MOPAR-RAM-1500-ECODIESEL-OIL-FILTER-CARTRIDGE-14-30L/productinfo/LF68229402/#.VMubSC6zoig) for under $50 and starting to carry other available parts. As for the oil, that will come down in price with supply and demand, especially if being used by other Euro-diesel cars. JM2¢, Hank

bsmith0404
01-30-2015, 07:24 AM
Definitely something to consider when buying but as they get more popular parts will be more available and prices cheaper. Geno's Garage, online, already has the Mopar oil filters (http://www.genosgarage.com/MOPAR-RAM-1500-ECODIESEL-OIL-FILTER-CARTRIDGE-14-30L/productinfo/LF68229402/#.VMubSC6zoig) for under $50 and starting to carry other available parts. As for the oil, that will come down in price with supply and demand, especially if being used by other Euro-diesel cars. JM2¢, Hank

Sounds funny when you say they ALREADY have the Mopar filters for under $50. I just want to know what is so special about those filters, they still have to be changed every 10k miles. The Amsoil filters are already a synthetic (I believe 3 micron) filter and are 1/2 the price. Mobil 1 and K&K filters are $10-15 for a 99% efficient 10 micron filter. I'm betting the filter is a synthetic filter made by Donaldson (same as the Amsoil filter) probably rated at 5 microns or less. I'm also guessing it's a unique filter just for the Dodge 1500 diesel. I wouldn't count on the filter or oil dropping in price too quick until more US sold vehicles are made requiring it. Seems like unless you can find it on the shelf at Walmart, the price doesn't drop, Walmart won't carry it unless it is a high volume item. I saw one story about oil at NAPA that was 3 yrs old and still sitting on the shelf.

Desert185
01-30-2015, 07:29 AM
The wife's Volvo requires "special ATF" that the dealer sells for $20/qt. A full flush requires ~7 qts in the Japanese made transmission. Many autoparts stores carry the same Asian/Eurospec formulation for $5-$6/qt. There is no filter.

Napa auto parts and IPD carry Mann and other quality oil filters at reasonable prices compared to Volvo. The Bosch fuel filter is more pricey than the made in china version, but worth the extra expense for the presumed QC factor.

The prices will eventually come down, and the DIY crowd will still save money. Personally, I would not go to Jiffylube just because of the cheaply made filters.

How many ensure their new oil filter is filled with oil before installation? The young, Jiffylube guy I saw didn't do it, and then argued with the customer about it.

bsmith0404
01-30-2015, 07:53 AM
The Bosch fuel filter is more pricey than the made in china version, but worth the extra expense for the presumed QC factor.

It's not the QC factor, it's the filter media factor. There are so many standards in filters. The cheap China filter is most likely only efficient to 30-40 microns. A quality filter like Bosch that is 2-5X as much money is typically much more efficient at filtering smaller media. For fuel filters that's probably down into the 7-10 micron range. The Racor designed fuel filter for the Dmax is 7 microns.

Oil filters are no different. Many companies will advertise that they can filter down to xxx microns, but the efficiency of that is the important part. If they filter at 10 microns, but only 70% efficiency, there is still a lot of "large" debris going through the systems. Beta ratings are the better rating to look at over micron rating, they actually tell you how much (efficiency) of the sized particle are removed.

Desert185
01-30-2015, 08:03 AM
By QC, I include filtering ability of the media and the robustness of design and contruction. That's why I use Cummins filters in the TV.

zuley
01-30-2015, 11:37 AM
The OE part number for the filter is 68229402AA, $60.00 list price CDN. The oil is Pennzoil 68001334CB ultra low ash $16.33 list per litre, 10 litres required. These are the Canadian Chrysler dealer part numbers I am specifying.
I had a customer in this morning who was rather indignant when I quoted him 60 bucks for a filter. Tried to tell me he could get them for 7 dollars each. I think he was full of s*** but told him to fill his boots if he wanted to use Chinese filters on his new truck. I've been in the bussiness for 35 years. I've cut filters open at various seminars and training sessions. There is not a better filter out there than the OE whether it be Ford, GM, Chrsyler or whoever. You get what you pay for.

hankpage
01-30-2015, 02:22 PM
I use only Mopar, Wix or Fleet Guard filters on my Cummins. You get what you pay for. Diesel filters do not remove soot, it remains suspended in the oil until you change it if you are using the correct oil. This is the main reason for lower mileage changes with the recommended oil. JM2¢, Hank

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Fleebay has a kit for $184 shipped to your door. It's the proper type of oil and correct Mopar filters.

Buying the proper recommended oil and a quality filter is the best. My Mopar products have always had Mopar or Wix filters and a quality motor oil. The last of my neons I sold off last year had 189K on the odometer. That was with wix filters and dino oil. The only engine issue was with the crappy OEM head gasket. The car didn't call for synthetic so I never saw the need for it.

Your truck is calling for that special type of synthetic so get the right stuff and the truck will continue to make you happy.

notanlines
01-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Most Ford dealers....$105.00 start to finish. Sorry Mopar.

hankpage
01-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Most Ford dealers....$105.00 start to finish. Sorry Mopar.

I didn't realize that Ford had a 1/2 ton diesel. :confused:

My dealer charges $89 for my 3/4 ton. :D

notanlines
01-31-2015, 02:36 PM
Hank, that was $105 including the $15 for the DEF fill. And remember, you're in New Jersey.....they bait you in so they can steal the tools out of the back of your truck bed.....nothing like that ever happens in Memphis. (Ah, yes. VERY tongue in cheek comment) I suppose on a more serious note, I honestly had no idea that an oil change on the Mopar 1/2 ton could run $300.00. That would certainly make me crawl under that engine myself!

hankpage
01-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Hank, that was $105 including the $15 for the DEF fill. And remember, you're in New Jersey.....they bait you in so they can steal the tools out of the back of your truck bed.....nothing like that ever happens in Memphis. (Ah, yes. VERY tongue in cheek comment) I suppose on a more serious note, I honestly had no idea that an oil change on the Mopar 1/2 ton could run $300.00. That would certainly make me crawl under that engine myself!

I'm old school so unless there is snow on the ground I crawl under myself. The DW accuses me of taking naps while under there but I deny it. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1587 That's my story and I'm sticking to it. "bouncey:

Hansel
01-31-2015, 04:52 PM
Boy, I thought it was costing me a lot too change the oil in my Powerstroke 7.3L diesel:eek: but over $50 for a oil filter:confused: man that's just highway robbery IMHO. I'm at just over $100 an oil change, but a Motorcraft filter is only $11:)

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Boy, I thought it was costing me a lot too change the oil in my Powerstroke 7.3L diesel:eek: but over $50 for a oil filter:confused: man that's just highway robbery IMHO. I'm at just over $100 an oil change, but a Motorcraft filter is only $11:)

It's a Dodge but has the heart of a European Goddess and will be treated as such. LOL

zuley
02-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Something I have instilled into my kids... an oil change is the cheapest form of insurance to ensure longivity of any vehicle you own. Use a quality oil and filter every 5,000 km and the body will fall off your car before the engine fails.

gearhead
02-03-2015, 09:07 AM
It's a Dodge but has the heart of a European Goddess and will be treated as such. LOL

An Italian Goddess at that! Isn't the new diesel a Fiat? Should be all kinds of parts for that thing.

Ram189
02-03-2015, 09:42 AM
An Italian Goddess at that! Isn't the new diesel a Fiat? Should be all kinds of parts for that thing.

I don't think it is Fiat specific but if memory serves me correctly it is an Italian diesel. Same one as in the Sprinter I think and they were super expensive oil changes.

Real problem you run into with them is supply and demand. Not many on the road so no one but the dealers carry the oil and filter for them yet. It will be expensive until something else comes out with the same filter on it and there is a bigger demand.

zuley
02-03-2015, 12:56 PM
The 3.0 litre diesel is built by VM Motori.

JRTJH
02-03-2015, 01:14 PM
VM Motori is totally owned by FIAT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori

Desert185
02-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I had a Fix It Again Tony 124 Coupe in 1969. Hopefully, there's been an improvement since then. :o

JRTJH
02-03-2015, 02:01 PM
I had a Fix It Again Tony 124 Coupe in 1969. Hopefully, there's been an improvement since then. :o

We had an 850 Spyder in 1969, and dummy me, I traded it in 1971 for a 124 Spyder when we had our daughter (because we needed more room) Hmmmmm Also had a Fiat 500 in Germany. Nope, we didn't learn the first, or the second time, but I sure learned the third time. I hope the diesel engines are much improved over their gas engines from previous years !!!!!

Desert185
02-03-2015, 02:05 PM
We had an 850 Spyder in 1969, and dummy me, I traded it in 1971 for a 124 Spyder when we had our daughter (because we needed more room) Hmmmmm Also had a Fiat 500 in Germany. Nope, we didn't learn the first, or the second time, but I sure learned the third time. I hope the diesel engines are much improved over their gas engines from previous years !!!!!

Funny. I sold my Porsche 1600S for the Fiat when my son was expected. The things we do for kids...:)

JRTJH
02-03-2015, 02:26 PM
Funny. I sold my Porsche 1600S for the Fiat when my son was expected. The things we do for kids...:)

I never owned a Porsche, but my next door neighbor in Denver did. We used to trade cars and race to the top of Lookout Mountain from Golden. I tried many times to get him to swap my Fiat even for his Porsche. He never seemed interested :confused:

Yup, the things we do for kids. The first year was awesome (except for the sleepless nights). After that it was either "Man this is wonderful" or "Damn, will they ever grow up and leave home" :cool:

I'm glad we kept them around though, having grandkids is so much nicer than raising the "first set of screaming banchees" ;)

gearhead
02-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Jeez, both the 850 Bertone spider and the 124 Coupe were beautiful. I lusted after both. Not quite Alfa Romeo coupe gorgeous, but very very nice.
We had a VW Scirocco until kids came along and swapped for a Jetta. What a POS. German engineering my behind. Fusebox burned, alternator burned, wiring burned. I was on first name basis with the VW dealer tow truck driver. Wife refused to drive it anymore. Traded it for Buick station wagon with plywood on the sides, no issues!

Desert185
02-03-2015, 05:57 PM
This thread is diverging, but I could go on about English cars and Lucas, the Prince of Darkness. They made refridgerators, you know, which is why the English have warm beer. "bouncey: Driving a Lotus Elite with a Stage 2 Coventry Climax engine and a close ratio ZF gearbox was worth it all, though.

Having said that, I am still kicking myself for not investing in D Jaguar futures during the 60's. :confused:

LittleJoe
02-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Something I have instilled into my kids... an oil change is the cheapest form of insurance to ensure longivity of any vehicle you own. Use a quality oil and filter every 5,000 km and the body will fall off your car before the engine fails.

And so it will at exactly twice that interval:D

LittleJoe
02-06-2015, 01:50 PM
The OE part number for the filter is 68229402AA, $60.00 list price CDN. The oil is Pennzoil 68001334CB ultra low ash $16.33 list per litre, 10 litres required. These are the Canadian Chrysler dealer part numbers I am specifying.
I had a customer in this morning who was rather indignant when I quoted him 60 bucks for a filter. Tried to tell me he could get them for 7 dollars each. I think he was full of s*** but told him to fill his boots if he wanted to use Chinese filters on his new truck. I've been in the bussiness for 35 years. I've cut filters open at various seminars and training sessions. There is not a better filter out there than the OE whether it be Ford, GM, Chrsyler or whoever. You get what you pay for.

The ultra low ash is required to extend the life of the DPF as long as possible.
A case of pay me now or pay me later.
Using an OEM filter is always the best idea, especially if you ever have a warranty issue.

They are building 100K engines annually at max capacity. Prices will come down as manufacturing numbers rise

bsmith0404
02-06-2015, 06:37 PM
The ultra low ash is required to extend the life of the DPF as long as possible.
A case of pay me now or pay me later.
Using an OEM filter is always the best idea, especially if you ever have a warranty issue.

They are building 100K engines annually at max capacity. Prices will come down as manufacturing numbers rise

An OEM or other brand filter will not have an effect on warranty, that is illegal. However, OEM filters typically are a good quality, but most filters are made by just a handful of manufacturers and there are definitely different levels of quality out there. Some examples, Mobil 1 and K&N oil filters, same...Mopar and Fleetguard (I believe) same. Donaldson makes the Amsoil filters, Wix makes NAPA... You definitely get what you pay for in most filters though. They cannot build a high efficiency and high capacity filter cheap. You need both to be effective. If they filter out a lot, they have to be able to hold a lot.

LittleJoe
02-08-2015, 06:33 PM
BSsmith

You are correct, however if you want to remove one variable that will create an issue/hassle, it is just easier to use an OEM filter. You can also rest assured that the quality of that OEM will be up to snuff.

gearhead
02-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Where did I find this? Here or my fishing forum....
http://www.fleetfilter.com/comparison-acdelco-filter.html

bsmith0404
02-12-2015, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, the AC Delco filter is not anywhere near as good as Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, to name a few. It is one of the best fuel filters and air filters available, but the oil filter is lacking. I'll stick with filters based on specs, not name