PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RAM 2500 6.7l HITCH WEIGHT 5TH WHEEL TOY HAULER

Bman916
01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Hello,, I have a 14 ram 2500 4x4 6.7l short box. Max payload is 2300 and towing is 17,100. I'm about to pick up the 2015 carbon 357 toy hauler with. Dry weight of 12k and hitch weight of 2300/ 3060 at full load of 16,500. I just put air bags on and will never load the trailer to the max. I run LT tires E and my GVWR is 25000 which I don't even come close too. Just too my truck to the scale and empty with a full tank my truck is 7860 with a max of 10000. So my question is can I pull a 14k loaded TH with a hitch weight of around 2800 on the 5th wheel?

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 07:44 PM
The "short answer" is" As long as you don't carry any passengers, no extra cargo and never gain any weight (over the 150 pound allowance for the driver).

Your maximum payload for the truck is 2300 pounds, the trailer pin weight is 2300 pounds empty. The numbers just won't add up.

Of course, you can always go in "upside down", add air bags, heavier tires and pretend you'll be OK, but if you're ever involved in an accident, almost any "ambulance chaser" will easily identify that you were overloaded and then things will become very expensive very fast.

ADDED: Upon checking the Keystone website, the specs you listed are not the same as on the website. The Carbon 357 is listed as:

Shipping Weight 12595
Carrying Capacity 3905
Hitch 3060
Length 38' 11"

When you add batteries, propane, hitch to your truck, you're going to be significantly heavier than your stated 2300 pounds of trailer pin weight. You'll likely be much closer to 3400-3500 pounds of added weight to the truck.

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Too many times people are told or believe that adding airbags adds GVWR. The federal sticker on the drivers door trumps all. I hear the argument all the time that the manufacturers put axles in that can handle more weight than what the tag says they are rated for. I HAVENT seen any credible proof.

Bman916
01-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I have a 14 ram 2500 4x4 6.7l short box. my payload is 2300 lbs and my GVWR is 10000 lbs with a max towing of 17,100. My max combined is 25000 lbs for both TH and truck. I have been reading every forum out there the past week driving my self up a wall. About to pick up the 2015 Carbon 357 toy hauler...Dry weight of 12,600 and dry hitch weight of around 2331 lbs. loaded the TH is 16,500 with a hitch weight of 3,060 37 feet long

I just put on the firestone air bags and pullright superglide and never plan to load the trailer past 14500. I have talked to about 20 ram dealer shop forman this past week and all say that with my LT rage E tires and the air bags they would all pull the trailer I'm getting. I know a 3500 DRW would be the best, but I'm already locked in to the deal and have to make it work..... any thoughts from anyone pulling a toy hauler like mine with the 14 ram 2500?

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
There is a couple of replies to your post in the other thread. Did the shop Foreman tell you that installing airbags increased your rear axle rating?

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Too many times people are told or believe that adding airbags adds GVWR. The federal sticker on the drivers door trumps all. I hear the argument all the time that the manufacturers put axles in that can handle more weight than what the tag says they are rated for. I HAVENT seen any credible proof.

That's why I said, "You can always go in upside down, add air bags, heavier tires and "PRETEND" you'll be OK". They aren't the answer to increasing the GVW and realistically, they don't increase the load carrying capability. The statement, "Addition of air bags does not increase the manufacturer's load carrying capability." can be found on every air bag manufacturer's website.

Maybe I should reword my post to make it more clear ???

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 07:59 PM
No your post is just fine. Some people need to hear it from more than one person to think about it.

gtsum2
01-26-2015, 08:02 PM
Hello,, I have a 14 ram 2500 4x4 6.7l short box. Max payload is 2300 and towing is 17,100. I'm about to pick up the 2015 carbon 357 toy hauler with. Dry weight of 12k and hitch weight of 2300/ 3060 at full load of 16,500. I just put air bags on and will never load the trailer to the max. I run LT tires E and my GVWR is 25000 which I don't even come close too. Just too my truck to the scale and empty with a full tank my truck is 7860 with a max of 10000. So my question is can I pull a 14k loaded TH with a hitch weight of around 2800 on the 5th wheel?

I have 2014 ram 3500 cummins srw with 4075lbs payload and the 357 is about the biggest I would go. U say it won't be loaded heavy but what r u putting in the garage? Too much trailer for a 2500 IMO. Ur wet pin weight likely be 2800 plus lbs

gtsum2
01-26-2015, 08:06 PM
Nothing you do will increase your payload. It is what it is and you will be over your weights with that th. Up to you if u choose to do it

Bman916
01-26-2015, 08:17 PM
I just keep finding all kids of conflicting information. I know by the book I'm over my payload a bit, but I have the right tires and my towing exceeds the trailer fully loaded.

They did not tell me it will raise the payload. They said it will help the saga and keep the drive train in line

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 08:18 PM
The original poster of this thread also asked a similar question in an existing thread. I have moved all related posts to this location rather than have two discussions ongoing about the same topic.

Bman916
01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
I have 2014 ram 3500 cummins srw with 4075lbs payload and the 357 is about the biggest I would go. U say it won't be loaded heavy but what r u putting in the garage? Too much trailer for a 2500 IMO. Ur wet pin weight likely be 2800 plus lbs

no toys... it will be the kids play area.

gtsum2
01-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Rams with coil springs have lighter payload than others...I had a 2013 1500...went to out a travel trailer and thought I better weigh it at the cat scale...I had a whopping 420lbs payload left after the family was in the truck (2 boys under 6 and a wife that weighs 120...). Needless to say I wasn't happy. After doing more research and knowing I really wanted a th, I was not going to make the same mistake twice which is why I ordered the 3500 and sold my 2013 after only 11 months of owning it. Even now I see th that I like that r too big and heavy for my 3500srw....but my 4075lbs is a long way from your 2300 lbs and I would consider the 357 to be as big as I would go...your call

Bman916
01-26-2015, 08:29 PM
Yea... I've had the 2500 for about 11 months...Going to take it out on a short trip and see how she feels.... I operated and towed heavy equipment in the Seabees so not a stranger to 5th wheels and steep grades...

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 08:32 PM
BMan, You're over much more than "a bit". Your statement that the pin weight is 2300 pounds is incorrect. The actual pin weight of the EMPTY Carbon 357 is 3060. By the time you add propane, batteries and your hitch in the bed of your truck, you're going to be much closer to 1000 pounds over that 2300 pound estimate.

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 08:34 PM
no toys... it will be the kids play area.

I see your in Calf. I too live here, and I can tell you from personal experience that the CHP is pulling over rigs that appear heavy. Have you seen the CHP pick-ups with the campershells? There is a set of portable scales in there.

They can and they WILL pull you over and weigh your rear axle. If your over by even 1 pound, your trailer is confiscated on the spot..no argument... no getting personal belongings.

That's just the start. Then you pay tow fees, impound fees and can't get the trailer out of impound until you produce a truck rated to tow it home.

Are you aware of the license requirements for towing a fiver?

No one here is trying to berate or belittle you. We have all been there done that, and don't want to see you make any mistakes. I started towing fivers in 1989 and it used to be no one cared what you towed and towed with. Times have changed and I would hate to see you post an angry thread about how your trailer is sitting in an impound yard, or worse yet, read about you in the paper or see you on the news.

Be safe my friend, and we can all enjoy what we love to do, camp!

Bman916
01-26-2015, 08:39 PM
So on the pin weight.... i called keystone and they tell me that the listed hitch weights are based on the loaded weight of the trailer...16500... I called a few times to see if I got the same answer and every time they put me on hold to call the carbon team and came back with the same answer...

Had no idea about the CHP and the impound.... maybe I'll put the 3500 decal on where it says 3500 lol....totally kidding

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 08:44 PM
I have a family member watch it happen at Pismo beach. We had a customer two or three months ago that got pulled over, and asked for his trailer endorsement. When he couldn't produce it, he had to unhitch and leave his fiver on the side of the road until he obtained it at DMV... the lines at DMV....

I commute to the bay area each day, and I have seen trucks/trailers pulled over with the pick em up truck parked behind them.

Bman916
01-26-2015, 08:50 PM
I'll head to the DMV tomorrow.... I just looked at the CHP info and on their web site says they check the campers gross vehicle weight rating.... I am at 23000 loaded with all my kids/dogs and gear I have... my truck is rated at 25000 max.... or am i missing someting

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 08:57 PM
Trailers GVWR is for license. Your going to have to have a non commercial commercial license as your trailer is over 15,000 GVWR.

I have a PDF saved that explains it. Send me a PM with your email and I will forward it to you.

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 09:05 PM
So on the pin weight.... i called keystone and they tell me that the listed hitch weights are based on the loaded weight of the trailer...16500... I called a few times to see if I got the same answer and every time they put me on hold to call the carbon team and came back with the same answer...

Had no idea about the CHP and the impound.... maybe I'll put the 3500 decal on where it says 3500 lol....totally kidding

Every other Keystone product is listed at "empty (shipping) weight", empty tongue/pin weight and cargo capacity. The GVW is calculated by adding the "shipping weight and the cargo capacity" the empty tongue/pin weight does not include the batteries, propane (tanks are included but not the propane) and any optional equipment ordered by the dealer/customer is also added to the shipping weight. That would include larger refrigerators, generators, second A/C unit, king bed option, washer/dryer, etc.

If Carbon lists their pin weight as "GVW pin" they are the only Keystone division that has broken the "general rule" on Keystone's specifications. I'd urge you to be very cautious with believing that any 38' toy hauler would have an empty pin weight of 2300 pounds. Toyhaulers are manufactured "pin heavy" so the cargo load in the garage can be "balanced" and maintain the required 15-25% of total trailer weight. If the pin were "light" any cargo in the garage would cause instability by making the pin too light. Since you're only using the garage as a playroom for your children, you'll not have any benefit of heavy cargo to reduce the pin loading during travel. You'll likely find that your pin weight is even heavier than what's posted and likely to be closer to the 25% calculation because of the light loading in your garage. That will make your overloaded truck situation even more dangerous.

Good Luck,

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 09:11 PM
PM received, PDF forwarded. Hope it all makes sense to you.

Bman916
01-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Well.... already own the 357 so I just told my wife I need to trade in my 11 month old 2014 2500 for a 3500....... please forward all messages to the Emergency room in 3....2.....1...

chuckster57
01-26-2015, 09:21 PM
Well.... already own the 357 so I just told my wife I need to trade in my 11 month old 2014 2500 for a 3500....... please forward all messages to the Emergency room in 3....2.....1...

Sutter or Kaiser :p

Did you get the PDF?

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 09:24 PM

LOL Yes, I can relate to that. We 'upgraded" to a larger fifth wheel last summer and the first order of business was the "kitchen table negotiations" about needing a new truck.... After a few long evenings of explaining, I got the "reluctant" "If you think we really have to, but I just don't understand" and I left it at that. Somehow I managed to stay out of the ER during that one..... Good luck with your "wait time in the ER" LOL

PARAPTOR
01-26-2015, 10:15 PM
I have been reading/chasing your posts, seems obvious to me that you are looking for endorsements for your selection of TV and Toyhauler. Been there did that. Also started with a 2500HD based on talking to various truck and RV dealers along with pulling info from the Internet. Numbers looked good to me based on my knowledge at that time, and all the supposed experts were saying "NO PROBLEM" so went with it. Towed the Raptor once before the end of the Season with no issues. Over the winter I had a chance learn more from the Internet. After doing the simple calculation myself, the safety impact, and understanding the concequences of being stopped or being in an accident reguardless of whose fault, the 2500 was sold as you can see by my Sig.

Based on my knowledge your combination is not even close. In my talks with Keystone regarding the Raptor weights the pin weight was related to rig dry weight as John has mentioned. If I recall Raptor pin weight about 22% rig weight.

Two solutions that I can see for "Have to make it work" 1. upgrade TV, 2. Select another (smaller) 5th wheel. May not be a TH. Personally I can not see a 2500 pulling a TH. My two cents.

Good luck and Be Safe

notanlines
01-27-2015, 03:28 AM
Bman, the one thing about this whole discussion is that NOTHING brings out the posters and opinions like this problem. It is both entertaining and informative every single time. Brenda and I are new to 5ver's, but hardly new to hauling heavy loads. Believe John when he tells you your pin weight will be 3500 pounds. And welcome to the world of Keystone, buying new trucks and trying to keep the DW out of every Camping World you pass. Another couple of years and two more trailers and she'll be telling YOU it's time for a new truck.:D

smokeyfl
01-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Let's do the math - You said you weighed the truck and it weighs 7860 with a capacity of 10,000. That leaves you a weight carrying capacity of 2140. You are over the truck capacity already based on the pin weight in your post. Were you in the truck when it was weighed? Do you have a 5th wheel hitch in the truck? If no to the above subtract at least 300# from the capacity. Now you are down to 1840. How about passengers and gear?
The advertised dry pin weight per JRTJH is 3060# which is reasonable for a 39'
5th wheel. Add an extra battery, fill the storage, clothing and gear and you can see where this is going. Being over a bit is an understatement.

Ken / Claudia
01-29-2015, 10:16 PM
What ever you do regarding a truck. You have a good test area. Go north on I-5 into Medford Oregon and back. You will know if you have enough truck and your wife will enjoy it or hate it. Just do it when there is no ice.

chuckster57
01-30-2015, 05:51 AM
Are we talking Ashland grade?

bsmith0404
01-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Once my DW realized how much she enjoyed camping, she started dictating what we own for a 5er. She keeps selecting bigger campers, I keep getting bigger trucks. Easy discussion for us....if that's the camper you want, this is the truck I'm getting. Never turns into a debate over if it's safe, it's just a discussion about having the right equipment so we can enjoy ourselves with peace of mind.

Barbell
01-30-2015, 07:27 AM
There is no question that your truck will PULL this trailer. The question is, can you stop it? All air bags do is help keep the truck level and make it easier to handle. They do not increase its capacity. You are going to be overloaded even without all the junk we accumulate on our trips. Even with properly adjusted trailer brakes, emergency stopping will be an adventure to say the least. Smaller trailer or bigger truck, IMHO.

GaryWT
01-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Always interesting. Has the OP posted anything since telling his wife the news. As it is clear here you are way over. So many TV run out of payload before tow capacity. Unfortunately if you had a F250 instead, the payload would be around 3200 lbs.

On a side note, not to sound rude, I don't get the toy hauler for a play area for the kids? Thinking that camping is an outdoor activity.

Another solution would be to find a nice campground close by and place the trailer on a seasonal site for a few years until you can upgrade the truck without taking a loss. Good luck.

Desert185
01-30-2015, 07:51 AM
What ever you do regarding a truck. You have a good test area. Go north on I-5 into Medford Oregon and back. You will know if you have enough truck and your wife will enjoy it or hate it. Just do it when there is no ice.

I just did the road from Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley to Beatty, NV. With the SRX. The climb over the pass takes you from sea level to 5,000' in 10 miles with a fourth gear, exhaust brake descent down the other side. Wouldn't want to do the climbing part in the heat of summer, and no way my truck would properly tow the Carbon.

chuckster57
01-30-2015, 08:17 AM
I just did the road from Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley to Beatty, NV. With the SRX. The climb over the pass takes you from sea level to 5,000' in 10 miles with a fourth gear, exhaust brake descent down the other side. Wouldn't want to do the climbing part in the heat of summer, and no way my truck would properly tow the Carbon.

I did that stretch back in the early '90"s. Middle of summer- thermometer in the shade at the lonely gas station said 128.

Desert185
01-30-2015, 08:18 AM
I did that stretch back in the early '90"s. Middle of summer- thermometer in the shade at the lonely gas station said 128.

You DA MAN!

Ken / Claudia
01-30-2015, 09:34 AM
The Ashland is alittle more north, but thats a good grade also. The up hill from Redding over Shasta is long and the down grade into Medford is long and steep.
If a 1 or 2 day shake down trip is taken. You will know if the truck will pull/stop safely or blow tires or over heat trannys etc.

chuckster57
01-30-2015, 01:11 PM
The Ashland is alittle more north, but thats a good grade also. The up hill from Redding over Shasta is long and the down grade into Medford is long and steep.

If a 1 or 2 day shake down trip is taken. You will know if the truck will pull/stop safely or blow tires or over heat trannys etc.

Yup!! Both are a workout.

racin500
01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
T....

Of course, you can always go in "upside down", add air bags, heavier tires and pretend you'll be OK, but if you're ever involved in an accident, almost any "ambulance chaser" will easily identify that you were overloaded and then things will become very expensive very fast....

If you've got the bucks, upgrade the truck. If not, be careful on the road.

JRTJH, this is the best advise I've seen. Many people think that just because their not a commercial driver/rig, their somehow exempt. If you really read your policy, your probably NOT insured if you are not in compliance. It's one thing to loose your own stuff, but what if you involve someone else's.

Bman916
02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Okay, so here is where we landed.

Took the test for my non comerical and have the road test set up for this week.

Went to the cat scales and my rear axle weight is 6480 with the fam in the truck and all our gear in the trailer my tires are 3640 each so I'm good there. so that puts me under on that axel by 20lbs. my gross weight was 21000lbs so I;m 4k under my max of 25000lbs

Sunday I went up to shasta and back. Had no issues at all... other than the gas milage. Even had to lean on the breaks once when i was cut off.... did just fine. The temp did get up to 210 on the grade, but i was able to keep it at 45 all the way up in 4th gear. BTW ... LOVE THAT EXHAUST BREAK!!!!!

** as for the geting a Th for the kids to have a play room.... We go to a lot of places that do not have hook ups, Wanted the gen and larger fresh tank. I do see a quad or 2 down the road...

Thanks everyone for the input and thoughts. The 2014 ram 2500 6.7L is a beast and I've seen 1500's pulling tripple axels (saw 3 on the sunday test trip) not saying they should or shouldnt do it, but i will be getting into a 3500 next time.

C130
02-02-2015, 12:22 PM
As others pointed out the toy haulers need weight in the cargo compartment to take the pin weight off the truck and from my personal experience this is definitely true. I have a 2011 Fuzion 322 and if I remember correctly empty weight is around 11,800 pounds with max of around 16,000 pounds.

I had my 2011 F250 weighed one time and was over the rear axle weight by quite a bit. I was surprised but had two small kids, two dogs, quite a bit of stuff in the bed also. I did not have any water in the fresh water tank or any gas in either of fuel tanks and all of those are located at the rear of the toy hauler. Also, not much weight wise in the garage of the toy hauler. Pin weight is listed as 2445 on the brochure that came with the Fuzion 322. The Rear GAWR on the F250 is 6100 pounds. I said I was going to fill at least one gas tank and the fresh water tank and have it weighed again but I never did. I was well within the listed F250 allowable towing capacity but not other weight limits which I think is very common. Tow capacity of the 20111 F-250 is 14,400 so figured I was under the max weight as I didn't have that much in the toy hauler, well less than the 2,600 pound difference between my empty weight and my truck capacity.

My point is the toy haulers really need weight in the rear of them to get the pin weigh down and it's surprisingly very easy to overload your truck, especially the F250's and I assume the 2500 is similar. What's really amazing to me is the number of F250's/2500's pulling the 40 foot plus toy haulers. I will say my F-250 pulled my trailer very nice and I had no big issues but always said I'd never even consider a bigger toy hauler without a bigger truck from my personal experience. I have several friends that pull 40 foot plus toy haulers with their F-250's and I think they are crazy. Just upgraded trucks so I've taken care of my current towing issues for sure. Now, if I can just not upgrade the toy hauler.

Bman916
02-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Okay, I just spent an hour at the dealer with the parts manager, service manager and shop forman. The 2014 ram 2500 6.7L 4x4 has the same rear end at the 3500 that year (2014) the ONLY difference between the 2 trucks is the 3500 has an extra spring and does not have the coil spring like the 2500. The 2300lbs payload of the 2500 and the payload of 4000lbs in the 2014 3500 the ONLY difference is the springs. the rear ends are identical in every way!

The carbon has a gross weight of 16500lbs and the truck is rated by Ram for 17100lbs towing (pulling) the gross combined weight is 25000lbs and at the scales with the TH loaded and tanks empty I weighted 21000lbs with plenty of room to spare

The 2500 CAN handle the hitch weight same as the 3500 with air bags or new springs. I've spent 2 weeks collecting and double checking information from Ram, peoples opinions were not considered in this conclusion. The information above is FACT

chuckster57
02-03-2015, 01:07 PM
As long as you understand, CHP or any lawyer or judge is going to use that sticker on the drivers door.

Earlier you said you scaled with 20 lbs left over on the rear axle. If you put an ice chest in the bed with ice and beverages, your OVER. I would be putting any cargo loaded in the garage.

JRTJH
02-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Here is an illustration of the 3500 and the 2500 rear suspension in the 2014 RAM trucks. To me (unlearned eye) they don't look to be anything near the same. That "extra leaf spring" changes the entire dynamics of the suspension system. Using your logic, if I put my fifth wheel hitch in an F150, I should be able to carry as much as I can in an F350? The hitch is "exactly the same" well, except for the truck it's mounted in is a "little bit different".

What I'm saying is there's more to towing then having the same "rear end"...

As Chuckster said, any lawyer, judge or jury is going to go by what the "manufacturer indicates as maximum" and that's posted on the door pillar under "maximum payload"... Having some components that are "exactly the same" doesn't make it "exactly the same"

By your statements, your maximum payload is 2300 pounds. You've got a pin weight of 3000 pounds, a fifth wheel hitch of 150 pounds and you're going to add your family (very precious cargo) on top of that? And you're justifying it by saying the rear suspension is "almost the same as a 3500" ??? By your statements, your RAW is within 20 pounds of your RAWR. That pretty much means if you stop for lunch, your entire family must go to the bathroom to "unload" before you can continue. If they don't, you'd be overweight??? That's a pretty "tight" way to stay under your RAWR. It's your choice, your decision and your family. I don't think you'll find very many people here (if any at all) who will volunteer to "hold your beer while you show us how good it tows".

Best of luck in your travels and here's hoping you always arrive safely.

gtsum2
02-03-2015, 03:40 PM
I agree...the rear ends and rear suspension is completely different. The Ram coil springs with the 5 link thing is way different than my 2014 3500 leaf springs. Your call, but nothing you do will make you under the limit on payload with that rig unless you get a 3500 truck. It is what it is unfortunately

x96mnn
02-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Okay, I just spent an hour at the dealer with the parts manager, service manager and shop forman. The 2014 ram 2500 6.7L 4x4 has the same rear end at the 3500 that year (2014) the ONLY difference between the 2 trucks is the 3500 has an extra spring and does not have the coil spring like the 2500. The 2300lbs payload of the 2500 and the payload of 4000lbs in the 2014 3500 the ONLY difference is the springs. the rear ends are identical in every way!

The carbon has a gross weight of 16500lbs and the truck is rated by Ram for 17100lbs towing (pulling) the gross combined weight is 25000lbs and at the scales with the TH loaded and tanks empty I weighted 21000lbs with plenty of room to spare

The 2500 CAN handle the hitch weight same as the 3500 with air bags or new springs. I've spent 2 weeks collecting and double checking information from Ram, peoples opinions were not considered in this conclusion. The information above is FACT

Ask them to put it down in writing that your ok, make sure you let them know in case something bad were to happen you want proof they said it was ok. I don't think you would need to say you wanted it for proof before they told you they can't do that and back peddle.

Ultimately if your happy with it that's all that matters. Not sure if your trying to convince people on here your ok or yourself. Will you ever get called out on your setup in a legal situation, most likly not. Will your truck break down under the pressure, I don't think so. The only thing that would make me a bit uneasy, usually in these types of threads you will get a 50/50 mix. 50% telling you your crazy, 50% telling you not to listen to the crazies and you will be fine, it will tow great. Not seeing those people standing up here and telling you that it will be ok.

You have it, you hauled it and your happy with it. In my very humble opinion, nuff said! Enjoy!

Bman916
02-03-2015, 07:01 PM
at this point it is what it is... Pulled it up and back from Shasta and it did fine, the folks who work on these trucks and have access to the parts computer showed me today the Mechnical differences between the 2. I would never tell anyone to go over what the sticker says, but it seems to be ligit. All that said.... The next truck will be a DRW for me. Putting blocks on the trailer to get it level. The ram 5th wheel prep kit makes the Pullright superglide sit high. No adjustment for height.

gtsum2
02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
she does sit a little nose high, but not terribly bad. That was my concern with the superglide and the adapter in the ram puck system. It would be nice if they came up with a superglide to drop into the ram pucks.

raineman
03-01-2015, 02:31 AM
I have to say I am impressed that everyone kept their cool on this post. I have seen this topic on other forums that turned nasty fast.

I have to admit after reading the whole post I am left in shock and awe. Despite advice from several decades of experienced 5th wheelers along with detailed explanations of the math behind towing and explanations of potential exposure to CHP stops and impounds, the OP still decided to tow, what most if us consider, a setup that is not safe.

As someone else posted, it's your family, your decision. I personally would never knowingly put my family in a similar unsafe situation. Nor would I knowingly expose my lifetime of savings and assets to a situation that could take that away from me and my family (lawsuit). Not to mention the safety risk to family, self and the general public.

Relying on a few conversations at the dealer to overcome all the points made here is an interesting approach. As also stated, I would get what the dealer said in writing. I would be surprised if you can. Saying, "the dealer said..." in court won't go far.

This all hits close to home for me after dealing with the same issue. I was considering trying to pull a 5th wheel with much less truck. I went so far as to try to justify not taking advice of experienced folks and going for it because I just wanted the trailer so bad.

I did end up doing it the right way. It took almost another year for me to finally get the right truck and finally the right 5th wheel. It was a long year but I have no regrets. I now can climb in my truck, hook up the trailer and drive with peace of mind knowing I have a solid setup. I feel good knowing I didn't take any shortcuts that would potentially put my family, pets, assets and others at any avoidable additional risk.

I don't mean to bash the OP. I wish the best for him and his family. And I hope they enjoy the trailer. Hoping that drw is coming sooner rather than later.

master sprinter
03-02-2015, 07:59 AM
I also do not understand the logic of asking experienced people for their advice and then after a 5 page post of great info (and their time) ignoring their good advice. I just see way too many unsafe TV and trailers sharing the road with others that are trying to be responsible for their own families. IMHO :confused::confused::confused:

Bman916
03-02-2015, 08:40 AM
I also do not understand the logic of asking experienced people for their advice and then after a 5 page post of great info (and their time) ignoring their good advice. I just see way too many unsafe TV and trailers sharing the road with others that are trying to be responsible for their own families. IMHO :confused::confused::confused:

I hear you, My mom says I do that to her all the time. :)

It's funny, the only difference between a 3500 and 2500 in my year and truck (VIN against another VIN at dealer looking at the parts) is a set of springs, stickers and 2 coils for MY truck anyway. Now people start to imply I am a idiot and putting my family at risk or don't care about them????? I thought the point of this forum was to share ideas and lessons learned not try to imply a guy don't care about his wife and children. Why would that ever come up talking about toys and trucks!?!?

I guess if we see it on the internet it must be true

I do not see any value keeping this post going. Any one who knows how to lock it up please do so.... Thanks

Festus2
03-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Now people start to imply I am a idiot and putting my family at risk or don't care about them????? I thought the point of this forum was to share ideas and lessons learned not try to imply a guy don't care about his wife and children. Why would that ever come up talking about toys and trucks!?!?

I do not see any value keeping this post going. Any one who knows how to lock it up please do so.... Thanks

Bman916:

If you recall, in your original post you did ask for "any thoughts from anyone pulling a toy hauler like mine (2015 Carbon357) with a 2014 Ram 2500.
Throughout the course of the thread (6 pages), you received recommendations and comments from members who suggested to you that:
1) you would be overloaded
2) the Carbon was too much trailer
3) you should consider a smaller trailer or bigger truck
4) you should upgrade the truck
5) a 2500 would be inadequate for the job

It was also suggested that this combination would be unsafe not only for the general public but also to your family and that there could be legal consequences if you were involved in an accident.

It seems obvious that you did not particularly like or agree with the comments and advice that you were given and that you have chosen, for the time being, to keep both the 2500 and the Carbon. Please remember that you did ask for "any thoughts" and you got them so you cannot blame our members for providing you with their opinions.

No one said that you "didn't care about your wife and children". What they were telling you IMO was that the combination that you have is potentially unsafe and that you could be unintentionally putting your family and the public at risk.

However, since you do not appear open to any further advice or comments and have requested the thread which you started to be closed, I will be closing it.

Thanks to all who contributed.