PDA

View Full Version : control panel switches

shane772
01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
We got a new Sprinter Copper Canyon 324bhs in August and have figured out most of the new stuff. I have a question though: Most of the switches inside the control panel are lit up in the 'off' position. Is this normal? Seems it would be the other way around. Kind of annoying honestly, little red lights glowing all night.

randy69
01-25-2015, 04:24 PM
Do. Have rocker switches or something. Else? If it is rocker switch it would be backwards. Light switch will illuminate only when it's in a on position.

JRTJH
01-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Do. Have rocker switches or something. Else? If it is rocker switch it would be backwards. Light switch will illuminate only when it's in a on position.

I agree, every switch I've seen is illuminated in the on position. That would mean that these are "wired backwards".... That is, unless some "genius" at Keystone decided to "help the customer" by calling for them to be installed that way so there's a "night light' to find the switch in the dark ?????

I wouldn't put it past the "oh WOW" group of "thinkers" at Keystone..... :confused:

14george
01-25-2015, 05:17 PM
I think that would be annoying

Alpine
01-25-2015, 08:39 PM
Well now...I just might like the "night light" idea! :D

JRTJH
01-26-2015, 04:27 AM
Well now...I just might like the "night light" idea! :D

Thee are switches available for the S&B home that glow in the dark, that have built in night lights, that have a "power on" light and that have auto dimming features. With any of these, there is an "endless supply" of power to illuminate the small light that's built into the switch.

On an RV, if the switch is wired to 12 VDC, the built in light is powered by the battery. That adds another parasitic drain to the battery when dry camping. As good an idea as it might seem, and as practical as it would be for someone who wants a night light, when dry camping or when storing the RV, any light that's built into the switches will discharge the batteries that much faster. If they were connected to the battery cutoff switch side of the power source, at least they would be somewhat manageable, but many circuits in the RV aren't connected to the cutoff switch. So, it becomes an issue of what works and what won't when in storage.

So far, Keystone hasn't "mastered" the art of putting black tank/gray tank decals on the correct handles, I'm not so sure adding night light switches would be any less frustrating when the factory wires them into the battery power circuits. :banghead:

shane772
01-26-2015, 09:38 AM
Well guess I will check it out and try wiring them correctly. Doesn't make sense to me either that they would light up while in the off position.

Bill & Deb
01-26-2015, 07:35 PM
We got a new Sprinter Copper Canyon 324bhs in August and have figured out most of the new stuff. I have a question though: Most of the switches inside the control panel are lit up in the 'off' position. Is this normal? Seems it would be the other way around. Kind of annoying honestly, little red lights glowing all night.

Hi Shane

I actually wish my switches were light when powered off then I would be able to find the correct one when come back to the trailer in the dark. Newer LEd switches draw almost no power.

Bill

sandy43
01-29-2015, 07:33 AM
I have several switches with little red lights and they only come on when turned on, which is the way it should be.

Also, I have well defined decals for all 3 tank valves.

All this leads me to believe, whoever is assembling and installing parts at Keystone does it his/her way, whichever is easiest.