PDA

View Full Version : Ford diesel stalling

gearhead
01-19-2015, 06:23 AM
My 2013 F350 diesel will occasionally stall/lose power. Seems to happen when the engine is cold and I make a turn at low speed. Only happens once or twice a month. I didn't worry about it much. But this morning I saw a news story that the feds are pushing Ford to expand a previous recall.
Anyone else having this issue?
edit: added link:
http://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2015/01/federal_regulators_investigati.html

Javi
01-19-2015, 06:37 AM
I would guess that your stall is unrelated to that investigation. The sensor stall being investigated is a complete shutdown caused by an EGT sensor, and it ain't starting until the sensor is replaced.

I'd have the truck checked to see if it's throwing any codes..

x96mnn
01-19-2015, 08:27 AM
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

hankaye
01-19-2015, 08:31 AM
gearhead, Howdy;

Here's a few links to help you find out some more info. regarding
your question. All ya gotta do is ask some questions or search the
threads.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

http://www.powerstrokenation.com/forums/index.php?

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

Hope you find what you are looking for.

hankaye

gearhead
01-19-2015, 12:00 PM
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
At 22,500 miles per the manual; which was about 8,000 miles ago.
I drain the frame mounted filter occasionally and never have gotten water.
No codes at the last oil change at the dealer.

x96mnn
01-19-2015, 12:41 PM
Was this happening with the old fuel filter, or something that popped up after. To me it sounds like a fuel issue although with the new rigs it could be a 1001 sensors. Still under warranty?

gearhead
01-20-2015, 05:29 AM
Was this happening with the old fuel filter, or something that popped up after. To me it sounds like a fuel issue although with the new rigs it could be a 1001 sensors. Still under warranty?
Yes it's still under warranty. I'll probably call the dealer this afternoon. I'm thinking fuel issue too, or one of the many sensors.

Desert185
01-20-2015, 06:10 AM
I'm not a Ford PS guy.

I was told a few years back that the first thing to do was change the oil, as the fuel injection is controlled by oil pressure. In the cases quoted to me, changing the oil did the trick. Your's may be a different issue and you may be on schedule with oil changes, though.

In any case, let us know what was the cause.

chuckster57
01-20-2015, 06:28 AM
I'm not a Ford PS guy.

I was told a few years back that the first thing to do was change the oil, as the fuel injection is controlled by oil pressure. In the cases quoted to me, changing the oil did the trick. Your's may be a different issue and you may be on schedule with oil changes, though.

In any case, let us know what was the cause.

The new ones (6.7L) use a high pressure fuel pump, no more high pressure oil pump to drive the injectors.

Desert185
01-20-2015, 06:49 AM
Sounds like a good improvement.

Hansel
01-20-2015, 08:07 AM
Since you are still under warranty that is a good thing, what has the fuel level been when this happens??? Sounds like the fuel system is lost pressure for some reason, like low fuel level, or a fuel pressure sensor. These engine have so much electronics running them it could be just be about anything, but I would get it too the dealership so they can get it solved.

gearhead
01-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Since you are still under warranty that is a good thing, what has the fuel level been when this happens??? Sounds like the fuel system is lost pressure for some reason, like low fuel level, or a fuel pressure sensor. These engine have so much electronics running them it could be just be about anything, but I would get it too the dealership so they can get it solved.
I never thought to look at fuel level, but I rarely run it down below 1/4.

Hansel
01-21-2015, 07:41 AM
I never thought to look at fuel level, but I rarely run it down below 1/4.

I know like my truck, the fuel pick up foot are known for breaking off which when you get too about a 1/4 of a tank it runs rough or out of fuel which is not a good thing for a diesel. But with your truck being so new I would think that would have happened, well at least not yet:confused:

gearhead
01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
I called my dealer, the service rep said he didn't recall seeing any similar problem. He will talk to his diesel techs and see what they know.
I need to figure how to make it die when it stalls. Then call the tow truck.