PDA

View Full Version : Waves Campground??

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-12-2015, 06:29 PM
The wifey and I have made a decision for out first camping trip with the VR-1 this coming April. We have chosen the Waves RV Campground on the Outer Banks of NC at Hatteras Island. After reading the reviews online it looks ok but I was wondering if anyone here has stayed at the campgrounds and looking at any insights for a new RVer?

Prob the most nervous part of the trip I'm looking at is backing the RV into site pad.

GaryWT
01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Have never been but be sure to go to a parking lot to practice backing if you are nervous.

Laredo60
01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Make sure you have a tie down set up for your awning for the outer banks you will need it. And I don't recommend leaving the awning open when you are not there or when you go to sleep. Yes it's windy there for sure. Took some getting used to. But a really nice area to go to.

cathcartww
01-12-2015, 08:42 PM
We have never stayed there, but have driven through for a look see, and drove by it lots of times on our way further down Hatteras Island. Looks nice enough - doesn't have all the amenities of the KOA and Camp Hatteras just to the north, but maybe more adult and quartier. The sites are 90 degrees to the driveway rather than angled, so it may be a little harder to back in, but no biggie ....

notanlines
01-13-2015, 06:12 AM
T3, Gary is on the money when he says to practice a little in a large parking lot. The tech who installed our first 5'ver hitch gave me this advice. Take your time, get out of the TV on occasion and get a good vision in your head about where you are, and put the trailer where you want it. He said "Never, but never, give a $%&@ about who's watching or how long it is taking you."

byrdr1
01-13-2015, 09:16 AM
He said "Never, but never, give a $%&@ about who's watching or how long it is taking you."
best advice for backing in.. Better to take your time and do it right, than worry about who is watching you.. once you get it right, get and out & bow for all to see.
randy

sourdough
01-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Don't know about the campground but absolutely concur with the comment about the wind - it seems to blow a lot....guess that's why the Wright bros. decided to fly a plane there.

As for backing...practice in a parking lot x2. If you don't have that find some other place that gives you the space and time to practice. Do it enough so that you know which way the trailer is going to go vs which direction you turn the wheel by 2nd nature - that will eliminate a lot of the problems that I see when folks are trying to put a long trailer into a slot. You also need to have someone watch for contact with trees overhead, side curbs if the slot is narrow and the back so you don't run over a ped or whatever back there where you can't see. Good luck.

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-14-2015, 11:59 AM
cathcartww thanks for the information on the campground. We dont need a pool on this trip, just due to the time of year. The water will be too cold. We have plans more to visiting two of the light houses and drowning some bait in the big water. If it was later in the season I would go to one of the larger grounds to make the wifey and kids more happy but they seem pretty happy with going there at the moment. Im a quieter person so without all of the extras I hoping the grounds will just be peaceful. :D

Laredo60 I know about the winds at OBX. I will listen to the advice and the awning will not be out unless Im around.

Thanks everyone for the advice on backing. Ive backed and helped in towing my buddy's 24' Parker walk-around to the coast a bunch of times. I havent had many issues with it and feel comfortable but seeing around a boat is a lot more easy than the TT. Ill just make sure the wifey gets out and assists being my extra set if eyes. Also trust me I dont care what it looks like getting in the spot as long as it does hit anything or anybody. I could sale tickets if anyone ever watched how I backup my converted military M101 trailer that still has the pintle hitch setup. That thing looks like a snake going back in the driveway. :banghead:

crash
01-21-2015, 03:40 AM
We have stayed at the KOA next door several times thru out the years ,We have stayed many times in april easter week and you may want to rethink the april time its cold /rainy and windy that time of year .Last year finally broke us of that time of year when it was a cold rainy week never again in april.JM2C, We go in may,sept and the whole week of Halloween and love it :D

crash
01-21-2015, 04:36 AM
This was our last years easter week trip to the outer banks that broke us of that time of year,Got to see great friends From Pa but it was cold and not the joyable outside just saying..:D

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Crash, thanks for the information. We were in Nags Head last year at the same time and had the fun of experiencing that monsoon too. The trip on the HWY 64 bridge across the sound was exciting to say the least. :eek: Im really hoping that was a fluke and this year will be different. If it isn't then next year we will venture further south to either Charleston SC or the Savannah GA areas. But we really love the NC Outerbanks and take about three or four trips through the Year. Here is a pict one year of what the wind did to one of our canopy tents we had over the picnic table.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_157651_0_63ee4b15e2cefccc5a3edc1093e6c255.jpg

We brought four foot large kites with us and made the best of it with the kids. They had a blast anyway. :cool:

bdaniel
01-21-2015, 05:41 PM
We have stayed at Waves CG many times. Good people and a good CG. They may not have all the extras that the KOA has but we don't go camping to play in the campground. We don't like to pay for the extras we will never use. We like to get out and explore.

Anyway I recommend Waves. They also have concrete pads.

Bobby

T3/T4 Hybrid
01-22-2015, 05:46 AM
We have stayed at Waves CG many times. Good people and a good CG. They may not have all the extras that the KOA has but we don't go camping to play in the campground. We don't like to pay for the extras we will never use. We like to get out and explore.

Anyway I recommend Waves. They also have concrete pads.

Bobby

Thanks that is what we are looking for. The TT is just a base of operations so we can go out and explore through the day then sleep at night. :cool:

T3/T4 Hybrid
04-11-2015, 04:41 PM
I thought I would say a couple things about Ocean Waves while it's fresh in the mind.

Staff was really nice and the park is well kept.

Bath house was ok to me. DW complained about lack of privacy in the shower area.

Concrete pads were nice and made setup quick and easy.

No fire pits which I was not happy with. :(

Walking to the beach would be very hard for anyone with a disability. The dune is very steep and no wooden walk way so traversing was at your own hazard. The kids found it exciting. Me I didn't care one way or another. I carried my fishing poles and cooler without a bump. But the DW didn't like it.

For the price in the area, it was hard to beat.