PDA

View Full Version : Amesbury Mass. Salisbury campgrounds

Wantoride
01-10-2015, 03:35 AM
We will be spending a few nights in the amesbury Massachusetts area at the end of the summer. Does anyone have campground suggestion? Several are nearby, is anyone familiar with the area.

mcsearch1
03-25-2015, 06:45 PM
I grew up in Amesbury and my Mom and brother still live there. It will be a great base of operations for your vacation. There is a tremendous amount of colonial history in Amesbury and the surrounding Cape Ann towns. Great, great seafood in any number of small restaurants scattered around the area. Best beaches are in Seabrook or Hampton NH or on Plum Island in Newburyport, Ma. In early August Newburyport has its Yankee Homecoming celebration which is a week long celebration and is a lot of fun. In Seabrook you can get a no frills lobster feed at Browns Lobster Pound - paper plates, plastic forks and great lobster and steamers. Going north into NH you could visit Strawberry Bank in Portsmouth, NH. This is about 40 minutes north of Amesbury. Going south down Rte 1A about 1 hr, you can visit Salem, MA (famous or infamous for its witch trials), Gloucester (home of Gortons and a lot of whaling history and Hammond Castle), and you should visit Rockport which is a small seaside village and artist colony. There are great shops and restaurants in Rockport. Another 25 minutes south and you are in Boston. I would not drive to Boston. Everything you've heard about Boston drivers is true and then some. You can go 15 minutes across the Merrimac River from Amesbury to Newburyport and take the commuter train to Boston. There are a number of whale watch tours leaving out of Newburyport and Gloucester if you want to spend some time on the water. If you are up for a little longer day trip, head north up Rte 16 into the White Mountain area of NH. The scenery is breathtaking. Rte 16 winds north through many small interesting towns and villages. If the weather cooperates you will have a great time. I think I just made myself homesick.

GaryWT
03-25-2015, 07:32 PM
I am somewhat familiar. Salisbury State reservation is at the ocean, the campground is along the Merrimack and you cross the beach parking to get to the black. No sewer hook ups but I believe about half the sites have electric. Beach Rose is about 10 year old not, small place but seems real nice. Sites are not huge but it looks clean. Rusnik is another, not sure of the hook ups available but a nice place, stayed back in my pop up days. These are all in Salisbury. I would avoid Black Bear in Salisbury, have never stayed but lots of negatives. The Pines use to be real bad but I think they have made some improvements through the years. Tuxbury Pond in NH on the Amesbury line, we stayed there years ago and it was pretty flooded when it rained. Looked into going again a couple years ago and I drove through and just did not like what I saw, it is owned by Encore now, I will not camp there. Just thought of one other, Wakeda in Hampton Falls, not far at all, real nice place, no pool or pond but not too far from the beach. Had a real nice weekend there last year.

Hope this helps some. Good luck

Wantoride
03-27-2015, 03:51 AM
Thanks,I spent every summer up there in south Hampton in my early teens. I am familiar with tux bury pond, I think it's on Whitehall road, fished the back river all the time. I was going to ask about it, I'm glad I got your review. 85 friend street was the family home for years. Amesbury has changed a lot since then. Some say for the better some don't like it. Plans still aren't firm, we may just park it at my cousins the whole time, I just didn't want to impose. She's got the room so it wouldn't be a big deal.

mcsearch1
03-28-2015, 05:36 PM
Grew up on West Greenwood Street off Hillside Ave (Rte 150). It has definitely changed. It seems to be more of a true bedroom community of Boston now.