PDA

View Full Version : Extended mirrors

Jlwright
01-06-2015, 07:08 PM
I need to add extended mirrors to my pickup. I would really like to have something temporary that I can remove when not camping. I searched but found very little about this. I've seen the ones that clip onto the existing mirrors and one type used a nylon strap that hooked under the bottom of the door and the window channel. Not sure about those as I am afraid the straps will scuff the paint. Any suggestions and brands would be helpful. My mirrors are the type with the signal light in the mirror and are heated. They also are powered to fold up close to the door if needed. I like all the features so obviously don't want to remove them for normal use. They are just too close to the cab to be of any use.
Thanks

chuckster57
01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Year, make and model might help....

Ken / Claudia
01-06-2015, 07:32 PM
For what truck? My advice is see if you can get a factory mirror to replace what you have. One that extends for towing. I have used clips on, extra ones mounted to the door or fenders. They all bounce to much so you cannot see details or headlights, just light at times.

BulletOwner1
01-06-2015, 07:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-81810-Towing-Mirror/dp/B007L2JNT4/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420601510&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=mirror+extender+ford+f150

I have these extensions for my 2012 F150. I really like these compared to the strap on kind. Easy on/off, fold with the mirror, cutouts for the lights, almost no vibration.

GaryWT
01-06-2015, 08:11 PM
We use to use CIPA mirrors and I thought they were great. Molded plastic the slipped over the existing mirror to extend it. Your existing mirror is completed usable. Easy on and off. Had a plastic bold the tightened against itself to hold it in place.

JRTJH
01-06-2015, 08:21 PM
We also used CIPA mirrors on our F150. They did not vibrate or shake. It was very easy to install and remove them and the visibility with them was much better than other "clip on" mirrors I've used through the years. I'd highly recommend them if you're towing with an F150. I have no experience with CIPA on GM or Dodge products so they may differ in results.

Jlwright
01-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Sorry, 2013 GMC Sierra.

JRTJH
01-06-2015, 08:47 PM
I can't vouch for the CIPA mirror models for your truck. They are all pretty much built the same way, but there are some subtle differences that might make a difference. I wouldn't want to tell you that they are "the cat's meow" for your truck, I have never used them on a GMC, but they are "the cat's meow" for the F150. You might want to check them out and see if they will work for you. The only thing I'd advise is to make sure your mirror housing is clean and the inside of the slip on CIPA is also clean before installing. Any dirt or sand will cause scratching of the molded truck mirror housing surface. By keeping them clean, I never had any scratching, but watched it closely. Otherwise, I liked mine.

BirchyBoy
01-06-2015, 08:54 PM
I've got the CIPA mirrors for my yukon. Easy on and off. You'll need someone to help adjust the outside mirror unless you have really long arms.

TomHaycraft
01-07-2015, 03:26 AM
Jlwright, I believe my '09 Silverado will be close to your GMC.

I started with the CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors (http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/Chevrolet/Silverado/2009/CM10900.html?vehicleid=2009308519), found them stable and certainly helped. Limitation was not being far enough outboard to see the side of the trailer and safely judge when I had overtaken a vehicle and was clear to make a lane change, especially on the right side.

I bit the bullet last week, received yesterday and upgraded to K-Source Custom Towing Mirrors (http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/Chevrolet/Silverado/2009/KS62093-94G.html?vehicleid=2009300800). These start at the same distance outboard as the above referenced CIPA add-ons, but then pull out 4 more inches. Had hoped to try them out this weekend, but icy weather is forecast for this weekend, might have to push things back a week.

Hope this helps!

notanlines
01-07-2015, 03:37 AM
We have ordered replacement mirrors from this company previously. They are factory replacement, just not GMC. They make a nice product for an affordable price.
http://www.1aauto.com/search?q=mirror+pair&year=2012&model=2159

Jlwright
01-07-2015, 04:19 AM
I may give the CIPA mirrors a try since they are inexpensive. I'll go for the telescoping ones later if this doesn't work. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

{tpc}
01-07-2015, 05:05 AM
I don't know if the 2013 sierra mirrors are much different than my 07 tahoe mirrors, however, I have the cipa slip on's on love them. When we used my wifes truck, I ended up using clip on's (which worked, but I still wanted better), then the door mount style with the strap, which were better, but a pain to deal with and did leave some marks despite my best effort not to.

For my truck, cipa claimed there was no direct fit slip on. I am still at a loss to why, I guess they don't feel comfortable with the slip-ons over the power/power folding/indicator light in the mirror style mirrors. I looked over a bunch of different sites and found ones I "thought" would work, and then for ease of return bought them on amazon. They fit right on, don't impede the use of anything, and will fold in with the mirror as well...even if my passenger mirror power fold doesn't work anymore lol.

So just keep them in mind if they say there aren't any that fit....they may not know what they are talking about lol.

bsmith0404
01-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Good luck with the CIPA. I tried many different styles on my 01 and finally bought a set of full size extendable mirrors from JC Whitney. The advantages to a full size extendable mirror is they are wide enough to see the side of the trailer and other traffic, plus you can set the 2nd smaller/lower mirror to watch your tires both while traveling and turning. IMO, that is a very important piece of visibility that you need to have while towing. The JCW mirrors fit perfectly in place of the stock mirrors, all functions worked, they looked good, and I sold the OE mirrors for the same price. Of course I could have saved the OE mirrors for vehicle resale, but a 2500 built for towing should have towing mirrors.

talk2cpu
01-07-2015, 03:48 PM
I used these on my 2012 Suzuki Equator towing our 2011 Passport 250bh. They were extended all the way and did bounce a little, but not much under 65mph. May depend on how sturdy the factory mirrors are, but worked for us. Next season will get to try them on the 14 RAM 1500. If not successful will look for RAM tow mirrors if I can get another loan. :)

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2912-Towing-Mirror/dp/B0095TC6I6/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420674260&sr=1-5&keywords=universal+mirror+extensions

sourdough
01-07-2015, 03:57 PM
talk2cpu - they sell the 1500 with the factory tow mirrors. They might just be a bolt up to your truck. I've had the 1500 factory mirrors and now the tow mirrors on my 2014 2500. There is NO comparison - I am sure you would love them.

Jlwright
01-07-2015, 05:35 PM
SOLD! I'm going to give them a try.

michael_h
01-09-2015, 07:08 PM
I use the CIPA slip on mirrors. I have painted caps on my 2011 F150. To avoid scratching the paint, I tape the painted part with that blue painters tape that has an applied life of about 14 days before it becomes difficult to remove. The tape does not allow paint to product direct contact which avoids any paint to become removed if the mirror shifts any in travel or while sliding on or off.

TomHaycraft
01-10-2015, 04:57 AM
I posted earlier in this thread after having just installed the new mirrors, was able to get on the road yesterday with the trailer. Hands down, money well spent on the K Source Custom Towing Mirrors (http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/Chevrolet/Silverado/2009/KS62093-94G.html?vehicleid=2009300800). Towing experience enhanced with the improved ability to see alongside the truck and trailer. One of those purchases where I asked myself, "why'd I wait so long?"

slow
01-10-2015, 10:28 AM
http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-2912-Towing-Mirror/dp/B0095TC6I6/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1420674260&sr=1-5&keywords=universal+mirror+extensions

If custom extendable mirrors are not available for your model year truck, I second the JR Products Grand Aero mirrors. Far superior view along side the trailer than the CIPA mirrors IMO and experience. And surprisingly stable and easy to install without the need for readjustment.

Jlwright
01-10-2015, 03:26 PM
I really like the size of these mirrors. I may have to reconsider.(tx)

tirnanah
01-13-2015, 04:04 PM
I use these on my 2009 GMC Sierra towing our 323BH... I love them. Extend far enough to have good sight lines down both sides of the trailer and look "stock" on the truck. You could very easily get them painted to match. Wife had me leave ours black to offset the white truck.

Power fold becomes power extend when the button is pressed...

http://www.powervisionmirrors.com/

Great customer service too. Somehow I managed to order the wrong mirror (none power extending) and got their kit for adding a switch to the truck. My wife said under no circumstances was I going to cut holes in her truck, so I called the company expecting to have to pay to send them back then pay again to have them send me the right ones. The person said no problem, sent me the correct harness to make the mirror right at no charge...

Jlwright
01-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Very nice mirrors. Hadn't seen those. I will probably go with an inexpensive set to start with. Having just bought our new camper we have a lot of things to buy.

{tpc}
01-14-2015, 06:20 AM
I use these on my 2009 GMC Sierra towing our 323BH... I love them. Extend far enough to have good sight lines down both sides of the trailer and look "stock" on the truck. You could very easily get them painted to match. Wife had me leave ours black to offset the white truck.

Power fold becomes power extend when the button is pressed...

http://www.powervisionmirrors.com/

Great customer service too. Somehow I managed to order the wrong mirror (none power extending) and got their kit for adding a switch to the truck. My wife said under no circumstances was I going to cut holes in her truck, so I called the company expecting to have to pay to send them back then pay again to have them send me the right ones. The person said no problem, sent me the correct harness to make the mirror right at no charge...

I had not seen these as well! Were they expensive for a set? My power fold doesn't work right anyways on the passenger side so I might be down for a replacement. I tried pulling off and fixing it, but it appeared to me that you have to "break" it to fix it, and I wasn't down for that on that particular day lol.

GaryWT
01-14-2015, 06:46 AM
I had mentioned the CIPA mirrors earlier and used them for 3 years on my F-150. Mine had black mirrors and the black CIPA fit so good and worked well, actually forgot to take them off half the time.

That said, I currently have electric extending mirrors with electric folding on my F350 and I do not think I will ever have a truck without this type of mirror again.

JRTJH
01-14-2015, 07:04 AM
I had not seen these as well! Were they expensive for a set? My power fold doesn't work right anyways on the passenger side so I might be down for a replacement. I tried pulling off and fixing it, but it appeared to me that you have to "break" it to fix it, and I wasn't down for that on that particular day lol.

Based on the pricing at the website, mirrors for your Tahoe would be between $465 and $599, depending on the specific model.

In the post following yours, a member discusses the CIPA mirror set for his tow vehicle. They price out at about $50 per set.

I suppose it really depends on what you call "expensive" ???

If your mirror is broken and won't "power fold" have you considered checking at the local auto salvage? Usually less than $100 for a replacement. Or possibly a replacement from your local GM dealership? That would likely be cheaper than buying a $500 set of replacement "after market" mirrors.

{tpc}
01-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Based on the pricing at the website, mirrors for your Tahoe would be between $465 and $599, depending on the specific model.

In the post following yours, a member discusses the CIPA mirror set for his tow vehicle. They price out at about $50 per set.

I suppose it really depends on what you call "expensive" ???

If your mirror is broken and won't "power fold" have you considered checking at the local auto salvage? Usually less than $100 for a replacement. Or possibly a replacement from your local GM dealership? That would likely be cheaper than buying a $500 set of replacement "after market" mirrors.

Thanks for the info! :)

I haven't checked in awhile with the local salvage place. Last time I checked was on eBay and I recall not wanting to spend the amount to replace the one....my luck is I replace one side and the other goes bad. But $500 a set is a bit on the steep side.

I actually already have the cipa slip on's for my truck and I do like them. For me the power folding would be nice if it worked, but its not imperative. It would just be easier to get in/out of the garage, especially if I had my cipa's on getting ready for a trip.

Agro
01-20-2015, 04:30 PM
You still in the market? I have two of these almost new. Bought 11/14.

I got a new f150 with Max tow that I didnt have before so dont need these mirrors...

$25 shipped for 2.
http://www.etrailer.com/Mirrors/K-Source/KS3891.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Jlwright
01-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Sending you a message.

Quiroule
01-21-2015, 05:56 AM
I have these and they work great.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/Ford/F-150/2010/CM11800.html?vehicleid=2010308313

JRTJH
01-21-2015, 06:40 AM
I have these and they work great.

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/Ford/F-150/2010/CM11800.html?vehicleid=2010308313

The cost at ETrailer.com for the CIPA 11800 mirror set is $75.90. Shipping is an additional $14.00. The same CIPA 11800 mirror set is available at Amazon.com for $34.26 with free shipping for Prime members.

It pays to shop around !!!

Quiroule
01-21-2015, 07:44 AM
Big difference, I did not look at price as I just wanted to show the model. I bought mine in 2010, can’t remember exactly where.

Larry1013
01-24-2015, 08:13 AM
My 2 cents.

I had a set of CIPA mirrors on a 96 F350 and they vibrated so badly I took them off. I tried clamping them differently but to no avail. They are what they are, cheap. Fortunately what I was towing at the time was a 32' travel trailer and could use the regular outside mirrors and the rearview mirror to judge when I could safely around the other vehicle.

Bite the bullet and get some decent mirrors up front and not waste time nor money with the clip on's.

JMHO is all this is.

LarryL
01-24-2015, 08:55 AM
I tried the clip on mirrors,didn't think you could see that much more
then the mirrors on the truck. I bought a rear view camera,mounted
on the back of the trailer works great day or night.

dwayneb236
02-02-2015, 05:29 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-81810-Towing-Mirror/dp/B007L2JNT4/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420601510&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=mirror+extender+ford+f150

I have these extensions for my 2012 F150. I really like these compared to the strap on kind. Easy on/off, fold with the mirror, cutouts for the lights, almost no vibration.

These are what I had before I got my new truck with the electric extendables. They worked really well. Now I need to sell them someday.