PDA

View Full Version : Landing gear motor assembly "loose"?

dmar
01-05-2015, 06:30 PM
We're leaving tomorrow for a few days and when I hooked up the camper today (2010 Cougar 276RLS), there was a loud clicking noise when I retracted the landing gear. It turned out that the bolt that connects the motor shaft to the square crossover tube had sheared and the head of the bolt was hitting on the bottom of the motor. I've replaced the bolt and nut and it seems to work OK now. However, I noticed that the motor/gear assembly has some play in it so it wobbles a little bit as it rotates the shaft. I can't find any loose bolts and the housing seems secure to the motor, but the entire assembly has some play. Question is, is this normal (rubber mounted to allow some play) or do I have a problem? Thanks, Don

chuckster57
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
A little movement of the gear assembly/motor is normal. All of mine had some play and no issues.

dmar
01-05-2015, 06:55 PM
A little movement of the gear assembly/motor is normal. All of mine had some play and no issues.

Thanks... I feel better now.

therink
01-05-2015, 07:16 PM
Me too. The two I have owned were loose like that.

WaltBennett
01-06-2015, 05:56 AM
That slop can get worse as the plastic gear box wears. I put in a Bulldog system that has separate motors on each leg with everything solid. Means I can level the front a bit by extending one leg more than the other too.

bigbluejmc
09-02-2015, 06:30 PM
For some reason I never noticed the motor moving until today and I was not sure it was normal...So, how much movement is normal..my motor and gear box move about 1/4 inch plus up/down as the motor is turning???

JRTJH
09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Mine moves about that same amount (1/4") on our Cougar. It moved a bit more than that on the Springdale.

bigbluejmc
09-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Thanks, I was beginning to think the drive gear may be going bad. I think I will pull the motor and gear box out and inspected anyway just to be on the safe side.