PDA

View Full Version : Must I 'PIN' the bed in the rail to travel?

slman
01-03-2015, 05:12 PM
I have a 27 Carbon Toy Hauler. It has the double stacked electric beds in the 'Garage' rear toy hauling area.
I took the upper bed out to save weight, and just me and the wife---it's all we need.

So...I have 2 motorcycles tied down...and the bed is lowered via the electric hoist, on a chain drive...just above the Motos.

CAN I TRAVEL THIS WAY? OR DO I HAVE TO HOIST THE BED UP ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP---WHERE THE HOLES ARE IN THE RAIL TO 'PIN' IT, AND I IMAGINE FOR SUPPORT.
The mental image of the bed, lowered, and hanging on the chain drive, as I go down a bumpy HWY-5 all day.
So, what say ye?
By the way, I believe, the only way to get to the rear pins by the fold down cargo door, is dropping the cargo door,---and at a rest area, not fun at midnight.

chuckster57
01-03-2015, 05:16 PM
The pins are for safety. As long as the chains are on good shape, the tension is good and the gears on the corners are good, you should be okay.

If I had something of value sitting underneath, I personally would raise and pin the bed. If you just pin the fronts, it will be better than none.

smokeyfl
01-03-2015, 05:40 PM
I drilled some additional holes down lower so I don't need to raise the bunk all the way up and can still insert the pins.

christopherglenn
01-03-2015, 05:47 PM
I put the pins in the top bunk, if I am only using the lower one. I haven't had the pins in - in months.

JRTJH
01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
There are a couple of threads (about 2 years old) describing damage to motorcycles in the garage when the bed deployed and crushed some components on the bikes. Search should find them if you're interested.

Here is one of the threads: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11119

notanlines
01-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Thanks to all for bringing this item to light. Our walk-through included nothing about any safety pins or anything of the like. Further, we can find no pins that could be used. Anyone have any idea where we might find these pins on the open market? I think I'll pull up the company's web site and see if I can buy some there. If that bed fell on Momma's sidecar there would be hell to pay!

notanlines
01-04-2015, 03:51 AM
Upon further investigation it appears that Home Depot or Ace Hdwe will be the source of the pins. And I also will be drilling some additional holes to hold it at the correct level.

spicercars
01-04-2015, 05:27 AM
I drilled extra holes and pin the bed up during travel just for safety. If the bed ever moved I would not want to imagine the damage to my goldwing. Pin them to be safe if nothing else.

slman
01-04-2015, 09:20 AM
While we are on the subject, what's with that 'brake' on the bed lift motor, that has a large toggle type switch? It's very tall up there. Anybody have a quick explanation on it's working theory?
Seems to me, you lower the bed to the Motos...and set the brake? I may have answered my own question.

chuckster57
01-04-2015, 10:43 AM
Do you mean the flat bar sticking out of a slot by the motor? That is a clutch that will allow you to disengage the motor from the gear. WATCH OUT as the whole assembly will free fall. :eek:

slman
01-04-2015, 11:47 AM
As you are standing on the right side of the tail gate, looking up, it is on the motor and says ''brake''. It isn't spring loaded, it flips/or locks only in 2 positions. On or off.

chuckster57
01-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Okay. But I am willing to bet it engages/disengages the motor from the drive gear. Is it a "happi jack" (sp) bed system?

slman
01-04-2015, 02:37 PM
The Carbon Trailer is stored/ backed into a RV building and can't check today, will look closer when getting on the road this early week. (as in can't get over motos and door can't be let down)
Thank you for the study of this topic,.

chuckster57
01-04-2015, 03:30 PM
I looked on the LCI website for the Happi-jac bed system and it does show a motor brake in the replacement parts. So I may be wrong, wont be the first or the last I'm sure :D

Just going by memory of the ones I've worked on.

PARAPTOR
01-04-2015, 06:16 PM
I am not aware of the pins in question, as originally designed, having anything to do with preventing the bottom sofa/bed from dropping in the event the chain breaks or controller failure, etc.

Only four pins (two for front and two for the rear)are provided to secure the upper bed assembly near the ceiling and out of the way as you lower the bottom sofa/bed assembly.

If I recall a previous post addressed the lower sofa/bed assembly being driven down under power onto toys in the garage. Think suggestion was to add a switch to cut the power off to the motor itself. I would think a controller malfunction :confused:

I am not aware of any holes in the original rails for pins to hold that bottom assembly in place in the event of a failure. Obviously if holes are drilled in the rails then pins could then be used to support the bottom assembly in the event of a failure. Hopefully the 12V fuse to the motor will blow if a failure causes the lower assembly to be forced down under power.

I would think if a chain would fail the lower assembly would wedge it self before falling all the way down. On my Raptor there is just enough room for your arm to insert and remove these pins with the ramp closed. :banghead:

I would also be interested if anyone determines the type brake used on these units

chuckster57
01-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Going from memory:

The upper bunk only lowers to stops, and the lower bunk will go all the way to a lower set of stops. When you raise the lower bunk, it will raise the upper bunk when the 4 corners make contact with the upper bunk. The pins are designed to hold both the bunks in the lifted position for travel.

Even though the happi-jac system has a few separate chains, I can tell you from experience working on one, if the brake or clutch fails, the bottom bunk goes all the way down.

PARAPTOR
01-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Going from memory:

The upper bunk only lowers to stops, and the lower bunk will go all the way to a lower set of stops.(CORRECT) When you raise the lower bunk, it will raise the upper bunk when the 4 corners make contact with the upper bunk.(CORRECT) The pins are designed to hold both the bunks in the lifted position for travel. (Will have to check this when get to rig, do not recall holes at this level ????)

Even though the happi-jac system has a few separate chains, I can tell you from experience working on one, if the brake or clutch fails, the bottom bunk goes all the way down.(If holes are not there, they may appear soon. Do not think any of us want smashed stuff :eek:))

THANKS, will check into this

sptddog
01-05-2015, 12:38 PM
I drilled extra holes and pin the bed up during travel just for safety. If the bed ever moved I would not want to imagine the damage to my goldwing. Pin them to be safe if nothing else.

Those of you that drilled extra holes....is there anything to stop me from drilling the rear holes on the other side of the post to make it easier to pin the upper bunk up when the rear cargo door is closed? I tried to make my bottom bed a couch only once, because it was a ginormous pain to get the rear pins in up that high with stuff on the floor under the bed. So, the pin for the rear would go in exactly the same direction as the front pins. My camper isn't around for me to check this out....

smokeyfl
01-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Not sure what you mean by the other side of the post.

chuckster57
01-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Not sure what you mean by the other side of the post.

The pins are inserted from the outside of the rails, the front ones are easy, its the rears that have to be inserted from the door/ramp side and often there isn't much wiggle room to reach up when the door/ramp is closed.

I think he wants to drill the holes so the rear pins can be inserted from the inside of the rails. I'm not gonna say it's a good or bad idea.

JRTJH
01-05-2015, 06:56 PM
It seems that from an ergonomics standpoint, drilling holes as Lippert did will keep you out from under the bed when pulling them. That may be a "design safety feature" to protect from the bed falling on you when pulling the pins??? If you were to drill holes on the "inside" of the rails, would you be more likely to position yourself standing under the bed when you pull them?

just a thought, I've not really studied the Happi Jack Bed system enough to know all the 'ins and outs" of the system. It may not make a "hill of beans difference" ???? Just thinking out loud......

sptddog
01-06-2015, 12:23 PM
The pins are inserted from the outside of the rails, the front ones are easy, its the rears that have to be inserted from the door/ramp side and often there isn't much wiggle room to reach up when the door/ramp is closed.

I think he wants to drill the holes so the rear pins can be inserted from the inside of the rails. I'm not gonna say it's a good or bad idea.

Yes, this is what I mean. Agree that it might fall on my head, if I put the front pins in first, and removed the rear pins first, perhaps only one half would fall on my head lol.

smokeyfl
01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
You raise the bunks up slightly to take the pressure off the pins. The pins go through both sides of the rails and can be inserted from either side. Best way to drill the new holes is to get a long drill bit that will go through both sides. That way alignment is not an issue. Make sure you use the correct size drill bit for the pins so the will stay in place. I also removed the stops that hold up the upper bunk and use the pins to determine the height of the upper bunk. The upper bunk has a queen sized mattress that will take regular queen sized sheets. We bring it down all the way at night to sleep on so the ladder is not needed for access, and then lift it up above head knocker height and secure it with the pins to use the seats and table during the day. We raise both bunks all the way up and put the pins in below the lower bunk when towing.