PDA

View Full Version : Portable Propane Grills

Quad
01-03-2015, 12:24 PM
The wife and I are tired of have to use a table top charcoal grill all the time camping. Especially Friday nights just getting to the camp. Kids are hungry and charcoal takes too long for quick meals. What are some of the favorites of everyone? We are looking at a Coleman road trip LXE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert185
01-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Weber Q series. Look no further and enjoy.

wahoonc
01-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Weber Q

I have a Coleman and it is okay, but my Weber is a much better grill. FWIW all of my charcoal grills are Weber too.:p

Aaron:cool:

chuckster57
01-03-2015, 01:24 PM
That's three votes for Weber Q series.

BulletOwner1
01-03-2015, 01:29 PM
4, Weber Q all the way, very popular grill. We like ours.

slow
01-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Do the Weber Qs operate of the regulated supply line port at the rear of the TT or do they have their own regulator?

chuckster57
01-03-2015, 03:18 PM
They have their own. I carry a spare 20# cylinder and use it for my grill and Camp Chef and lantern with a tree.

therink
01-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Do the Weber Qs operate of the regulated supply line port at the rear of the TT or do they have their own regulator?

They have their own regulator but easily removed to retrofit a quick connect for a low pressure supply line to the trailer.

Williston324
01-03-2015, 03:51 PM
From last March,

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16366

Woodsrider
01-03-2015, 04:16 PM
We currently have a unit very similar to one of these. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Aussie-Stainless-Steel-Tabletop-Propane-Gas-Grill-205-DS/204360797
DW bought if for me a few years before we bought our TT to use for our annual beach trips. I've been pretty happy with it, and I modified it to sit on the bracket the RVQ that came with our trailer uses, and purchased a regulator at Camping World to use the aux. hook up. Sometimes I mount it on the side of the trailer and hook up, and other times I use a 20# tank and set it on the picnic table. It will also fit in the bag the RVQ came in, which is a nice bonus.
When it finally dies, I'll be buying a Weber Q 200 and just run it on the table full time.

My experience with the RVQ was that it was absolute garbage. The idea is sound, but the packaged product is rubbish.

Harleyhop
01-03-2015, 04:33 PM
I would definitely go with the Weber Q. Have tried others this one is the best by far! IMO"bouncey:

GaryWT
01-03-2015, 04:55 PM
We went with the Coleman mainly because it was so easy to convert to the low pressure system. The weber looked like it would need lots of parts to convert and if you asked anyone in a store they had no clue. We do not want to carry extra propane large or small as it just adds to set up. The Coleman does not need a table or anything so even better for set up. Works good. We also have the griddle for it.

Desert185
01-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Just remove the pressure regulator on the Weber Q and replace it with a male QD fitting with an adapter fitting. CW and Walmart both sell a QD hose to connect the Q to the trailer QD gas fitting, if equipped. The propane coming from the trailer is already pressure reduced. I also carry another hose with a regulator in the event I need to connect the Q to a 20# bottle.

denverpilot
01-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Lots of Weber fans here, but the Coleman works fine too. Have one and a number of friends who aren't here to vote who've used them for years and years. Buy what you like, they're both good products.

GaryWT
01-03-2015, 08:43 PM
I think the issue I had and reason for going with the Coleman was it was similar to the previous grill, control knobs were on the grill and not the regulator. Most, thinking the Weber as well, if you remove the regulator, you were removing the knob controlling the gas high to low.

Quad
01-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Looks like Weber Q is overwhelmingly popular lol. I do like the weber q. We have a friend who has one and loves it. Does anyone have the stand with it? How sturdy is it?

GaryWT was it easy to covert to RV low pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BulletOwner1
01-04-2015, 08:52 AM
We do have the stand. While not solid like if the BBQ was sitting on a picnic table it is quite adequate. The Q fits on the stand and sort of locks in so there is no slipping off. Stand folds up nicely for storage.

Jlwright
01-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Which version of the Q grill do some of you have. I am looking at the Q2200 and the Q1200. Having seen neither I'm wondering if the 2200 might be a little bog to haul around. Thanks

BulletOwner1
01-04-2015, 08:05 PM
We've got the small one, 100 I believe. Just the two of us usually so it's plenty big. And it stores in our forward storage area easily. Any bigger and we'd have to probably store it in the truck because it would be too tall to go in the storage door.

chuckster57
01-04-2015, 08:26 PM
I think ours is the 200, normally just me and mama to cook for.

Desert185
01-05-2015, 01:13 AM
I think the issue I had and reason for going with the Coleman was it was similar to the previous grill, control knobs were on the grill and not the regulator. Most, thinking the Weber as well, if you remove the regulator, you were removing the knob controlling the gas high to low.

We removed the regulator from the on/off control valve. The connector/adapter to the valve goes from 1/8 NPT to 1/4 NPT for the male QD. I also have a second hose with a QD on one end and a regulator on the other end when connecting to the 20# bottle at home or at a friend's.

As far as the Weber stand, we use one at home, but don't bring it on the trailer. It will accomodate both sizes of Q. There was only a 100 and a 200 when we bought ours. We actually have both sizes, and I bring the larger with the trailer, since we host dinners with friends while traveling.

GaryWT
01-05-2015, 06:45 AM
My first trailer came with a low pressure grill and we had a connection point on the trailer for a quick connect. 2nd trailer came with a low pressure stove. Ordered a few parts and made a T to connect both the stove and the grill. When the grill died, we went with the Coleman as I was able to add one connection to the grill and use the quick connect from the previous grill. It turned out easy and set up is real quick.

michael_h
01-05-2015, 09:34 AM
I like the Coleman that has the one burner stove and the grill (it's red and black), if you order it from the Walmart website you can pick it up same day at the store sometime saving as much as $30 form the shelf price. We often cook for 3 adults and 3 kids on ours, great little stove, ours is 5 years old and has taken a beating but keeps on preforming

gearhead
01-05-2015, 07:18 PM
For those that have the Coleman Road Trip......can you get the whole thing in the Coleman storage bag?
I've flipped it, I've turned it, I've cussed it, I've cussed myself, and still have to take the wheel assembly off to fit it in the case.

LaTundra
01-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Camping World sells the "Sidekick" which works off the rv propane and #1 propane bottle.

Jlwright
01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
We looked at several and decided on the Weber Q grill 2200. I like the top being taller so you can cook a turkey breast or a roast besides burgers and steaks.

GaryWT
01-22-2015, 05:53 PM
For those that have the Coleman Road Trip......can you get the whole thing in the Coleman storage bag?
I've flipped it, I've turned it, I've cussed it, I've cussed myself, and still have to take the wheel assembly off to fit it in the case.

I do not have a bag for mine. I close it up and the last thing I do is roll it inside the door. First thing we do when we pull in is roll it out. Just have to be sure I empty the grease catcher before putting it in.

theeyres
01-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Weber Q is the only one I have found that will really sear meat. The rest just aren't hot enough. Others are fine depending on what you want to do with it.

GMcKenzie
01-23-2015, 03:09 PM
From last March,

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16366

Hmmm. Doesn't look like I ever said what I did end up with.

Went with the Napoleon. It has 2 burners and controls so I can do 2 things at once. Otherwise would have gone for the Weber I think. It is certainly a lot better than the garbage I had, even after trying all the mods I could.

mom2budnbug
01-26-2015, 07:03 PM
We will be looking at the Weber Q when our current portable dies.

pawpaw
02-12-2015, 07:05 AM
Wife just came in with a Coleman Road Trip that she won...can't beat the price "free" so we'll try it out this weekend. Plastic latch lever was cracked so I'll try to Gorilla glue it together and hope it will work. Oldest grandson loves hamburgers so I'm sure it will get a workout.