PDA

View Full Version : Bolt It On Dirt Bike Chocking System

dpcrf450
12-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Anyone have experience with this dirt bike tie down system. Looks like a great solution to my multi bike transport /secure issue. Thanks.

trueweb
12-22-2014, 01:09 PM
It looks very cool, I also considered it.

I wound up using the Risk Racing Lock-N-Load. They are super easy to use and I am using the full size version for all the bikes I have carried to date including a TTR-125L. They have a mini version for smaller bikes. There are a few inconveniences with 2-stroke pipes, but I just lean the bike as I roll it in or push down the locks slightly to get around that.

I was going to have to drill holes in the floor no matter what, my raptor had anchor points in it, so that helped. If I already had anchors the bolt-it-on would have been a little more appealing since there would have been no drilling required. Install was easy though, I just laid them out on the floor, used a sharpie to mark the holes then drilled the floor. I used a large thick washer on the bottom then smothered it in silicone. to seal the vapor barrier. Of course I checked clearance below, the fuel tank is under there!

I chose the Lock-N-Load because the mounts are almost flush on the floor and they have nice tie-down loops built into them. They remove easily with toggle-type bolts and you don't need to mess with tie down straps. You can load bikes in backward (some recommend this for 2-strokes) and you can mount them on the floor offset so you can fit more bikes side-by-side.

The only problem I had was one of the auto-locking pins failed when the spring managed to get past the pin. It would stick due to the friction. I could use it, but I had to use a screwdriver to pop the pin and release the lock. I just took it apart, found the problem and fixed it. The entire mechanism is serviceable, which is pretty cool.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but I did look at both and chose the lock-n-load, happy with the decision.

Way Of Life
12-31-2014, 07:14 PM
Although I liked the concept, I did not like the price. If your multi bike option includes street bikes, as is my situation does, I opted for 2 Harbor Freight chocks. I then took 2" square tubing cut to 95" long. I drilled 3 holes that would line up with the 3 front tie down locations. This will allow me to attach the square tube securely to the floor using 1/2"-13 J-hooks.

Knowing that I would occasionally haul 1 or 2 motorcycles, I also drilled connecting holes centered on the square tube to allow the wheel chock to be positioned in the center of the garage, thus allowing equal weight distribution.

I wanted the luxury of being able to load motorcycles by myself using the locking chock. This option is not available on the Bolt It On system.

Total cost was $150.00......

Desert185
12-31-2014, 07:22 PM
Be careful with the cheap HF chocks. My GS broke one. I now use a very stout Condor.

Way Of Life
12-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Be careful with the cheap HF chocks. My GS broke one. I now use a very stout Condor.

So what broke on the HF chock?

Desert185
12-31-2014, 07:40 PM
The tubular loop that wraps around the front tire.

Way Of Life
12-31-2014, 08:21 PM
The tubular loop that wraps around the front tire.

I know what chock you are speaking of. That is not the style that I used.

The one I am referring to resembles a Condor but at a more economical price. I did far to many hours of forum research to decide that the users of this Harbor Freight chock are satisfied with the performance and even more happy with the price. Users ranged from small British bikes to full dress Harleys and Goldwings.

Here is a link for reference....
http://m.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97843.html

Desert185
01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
That looks sturdy enough. I chose the made in USA Condor because I can remove it from the mounting plate to get it out of the way for hauling other things, and it helps support my local bike shop. Good guys and free tire mounting, including the PITA quad tires.

MBD
01-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Way of Life - I'd sure like to see some photos of your set up. Unfortunately I need help visualizing...

I really like the idea of not having to drill holes to mount a chock. Not because I don't want to drill the holes, but only to avoid having to drop the floor and work around the tanks.

One Happy Camper
01-02-2015, 11:34 AM
The Risk Lock and Load system that attaches to the foot pegs looks very cool. I got our Condor chocks off craigslist, but if I was shopping for a new system, and next time I do, I'll take a long, hard look at those.

Way Of Life
01-03-2015, 12:45 AM
Way of Life - I'd sure like to see some photos of your set up. Unfortunately I need help visualizing...

I really like the idea of not having to drill holes to mount a chock. Not because I don't want to drill the holes, but only to avoid having to drop the floor and work around the tanks.

Will post some photos in the next 10-14 days. Am out of town for work but will try to give you a visual when I get the chance.

dave-g
01-05-2015, 02:45 AM
50k toy hauler+ 15k motorcycle+ cheap tie down= big mess. spend some money and get good quality stuff to protect your toys.

Beerdude41867
02-19-2015, 08:06 PM
Had it for two years. Strap four dirt bikes to it. Works awesome!

Way Of Life
02-20-2015, 01:39 AM
50k toy hauler+ 15k motorcycle+ cheap tie down= big mess. spend some money and get good quality stuff to protect your toys.

Never understood some people's reasoning that something has to be expensive to get good quality.

Desert185
02-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Never understood some people's reasoning that something has to be expensive to get good quality.

It's true, you can spend good money for poor quality.

T3/T4 Hybrid
02-21-2015, 10:16 AM
I've used the less expensive tire chalks from Harbor Freight with good success on hauling my KTM and my buddies dual sports. The big problem I have found with moving dual sports and dirt bikes is the amount of travel in the front forks. Its easy for the forks travel to exceed the tie downs tension and then the tie down has been compromised which will let your motor fall over or even worse fall off! Whatever system you decide to go with purchase a fork support for each motor you are transporting. It will greatly stabilize the motor and make transportation a lot safer. Plus it's easier on your motor's fork seals too.

Milty911
02-21-2015, 10:53 AM
I have looked into the boltiton product and like it for a couple reasons. You don't need to fabricate and drill holes into the garage floor. It is removable so when not in use you can break it down and put it away. I do agree it is pricier than the chock option but we aren't parking dirt bikes but our sweet *** Harleys.. Until the manufactures engineer an option for their garages this is one of the best set ups IMHO. My decision to go with Keystone over the others was the welded D rings as apposed to the bolted option..

trueweb
02-21-2015, 11:17 AM
I've used the less expensive tire chalks from Harbor Freight with good success on hauling my KTM and my buddies dual sports. The big problem I have found with moving dual sports and dirt bikes is the amount of travel in the front forks. Its easy for the forks travel to exceed the tie downs tension and then the tie down has been compromised which will let your motor fall over or even worse fall off! Whatever system you decide to go with purchase a fork support for each motor you are transporting. It will greatly stabilize the motor and make transportation a lot safer. Plus it's easier on your motor's fork seals too.

I agree on the fork braces, keep things a little more stable in the twisties.

Caribiner style tiedowns with a soft tie loop included really help prevent the tip-overs too.

Still, in the back of an RV I'm pretty much sold on the Lock-N-Load's they are great for dirt bikes and probably dual sports too. Clamping the footpegs takes all the sway out. They are easy to remove and once removed they leave two D-rings in the floor that can be used as tie downs for other gear.

GaryBro
02-22-2015, 12:01 PM
I bought a Harbor Freight wheel chock (knock off Condor) and found it very sturdy. At first, it did not work because of the sideways play in the system. My KLR650 would not stand up, just a little sideways pressure and it would fall over. I ended up putting several big washers on the bolts for the upright and the rocking foot. I put these between the frame and the piece, taking up all of the sideways free play. I've now had the chock for a couple years and it works great. Bikes with thin front tires (like a 3.00) are a little bit of a problem to stand upright with no tie downs, but bikes with wider tires are OK.

Berg570FE
03-05-2015, 11:50 AM
This is a VERY permanent install. But very slick, and keeps things nice and clean!

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_162900_0_ec38cf61294ba04d9764be3361dc0fc9.jpg (http://s962.photobucket.com/user/Berg570FE/media/E06DE5B7-D701-4A11-939A-CA9CA0D395F1-7693-000006EA2C7156CD_zps59c2e0f3.jpg.html)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_162900_1_9a9ed265cfd284f59d85b0709eb59c2e.jpg (http://s962.photobucket.com/user/Berg570FE/media/3B23F778-BAEF-4E0C-B449-5B12833A247D-7693-000006EA2AFDDF82_zps5604bdd5.jpg.html)

Desert185
03-05-2015, 01:41 PM
That's a great solution for dirt bikes, but I really like the Condor with the trailer adapter kit for the heavier BMW GS and how it holds the bike upright by itself while I tie it down.

http://store.condor-lift.com/products.php?product=Pit%252dStop%7B47%7DTrailer%2 52dStop

Have you ever weighed your 326 SRX when it was loaded? I wonder what your pin weight is?

BTW...HF is having a big parking lot sale beginning tomorrow. The 1000# capacity motorcycle lift is on sale for $299.99. $400 savings. Just in time for a spline lube... :thumbsup:

randy69
03-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Here is what I do with 1 grizzle and two Yammah quads and 2 250 dirt bikes. Roll up the carpet put it up against the wall & floor of the living quarters. I bought large and small tire chalks. Forgot to say I added 13 more the downs rings in the floor they are never in the right place when you use them. Anyway tie everything down and put everything in gear and lock the breaks. And on those special occasion going to sturgis or Laughlin I have a removable condor for the harleys.

BlueknightWI
03-18-2015, 12:56 PM
I've been trying to figure something as well, considering the cost of that Bolt It On system. Do you have some pictures you can share? I have a Harley Ultra Limited, which will usually be going along. We also will sometimes have another Limited in the garage on trips with friends. I keep trying to find an inexpensive way to make this work and still be safe.

Although I liked the concept, I did not like the price. If your multi bike option includes street bikes, as is my situation does, I opted for 2 Harbor Freight chocks. I then took 1 1/4" square tubing cut to 95" long. I drilled 3 holes that would line up with the 3 front tie down locations. This will allow me to attach the square tube securely to the floor using 1/2"-13 J-hooks.

Knowing that I would occasionally haul 1 or 2 motorcycles, I also drilled connecting holes centered on the square tube to allow the wheel chock to be positioned in the center of the garage, thus allowing equal weight distribution.

I wanted the luxury of being able to load motorcycles by myself using the locking chock. This option is not available on the Bolt It On system.

Total cost was $150.00......

Way Of Life
03-20-2015, 07:48 AM
Here are some photos of what I did to duplicate the Bolt-It-On system. The added feature of self locking chocks is what I was after but is not available on the Bolt-It-On system.

The tubing is 2" square with an 1/8" thick wall. Purchased on ebay for $56 shipping included right to my door. I purchased the 1/2" diameter J hooks as well as the shouldering I bolts at Lowe's home store for $45. The wheel chocks came from Harbor Freight.

I drilled holes for the J bolts that are centered on the tie down positions in my Fuzion. I then drilled holes to locate one chock centered on the tube for single bike hauling. I also drilled holes to position both chocks with equal position too haul two bikes. The eye bolts are located 33" on center of the corresponding chock position. The eye bolts have a 2200 pound safe working limit.

When setting up at camp the chock/s are removed and placed in the back of my truck and the square tube is placed on the top bed in the garage. Of course the chocks can also be used in the garage or driveway for service or washing when the included cross member is reattached. All in all I have less than $200 invested here. Say what you will about the cheap Harbor Freight chocks.....These are rock solid construction. The only benefit with the Condor is the aluminum construction which decreases weight. The system I have put together comes in less than 100 lbs. Believe me when I say....."My bikes are mounted rock solid giving me piece of mind.....and that.....my friend.....is priceless! ".

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=3490

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=3491

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=3492

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=668&pictureid=3493

BlueknightWI
03-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Thank you! I think I may see about doing this. I know that people have had some issues with the HF product, and I would prefer to buy something made in the USA. However, for less than half the price this may be the ticket. Or, I just may buy the expensive ones-we will see. The one guy who replied earlier does have a point about cutting corners when you have so much invested already.

JRTJH
03-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Thank you! I think I may see about doing this. I know that people have had some issues with the HF product, and I would prefer to buy something made in the USA. However, for less than half the price this may be the ticket. Or, I just may buy the expensive ones-we will see. The one guy who replied earlier does have a point about cutting corners when you have so much invested already.

I don't know the exact reference that you're talking about, but there's a significant difference in buying landing gear for a widebody passenger plane and a wheel chock for a $9000 motorcycle. One has to be "built to the 9's" and one has to hold a front wheel steady. I wouldn't look at price as being the only factor, but just because it's expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it will work any better than the "cheap spread"......

Way Of Life
03-20-2015, 09:25 PM

Let me reassure you.....the HF chock is a quality system. NOT all HF items are quality made but this chock stands contrary to their negative reputation. The negative comments earlier in this discussion feed pertains to the hoop style chock.....a knock off of the Lock-N-Load system. I was extremely critical when reading literally hundreds of discussions on tie down systems and the HF chock was preferred by most because of the quality and most obvious the cost.

What drives the cost of the Condor up is the aluminum material used. What is very ironic....The HF chock is only 3 pounds heavier using steel....only giving up 6 pounds in my application.

Given the countless good reviews and an opportunity to save myself $500 I elected to go with HF chocks.....and to keep things legal....."I am not a paid spokesperson for HF chocks."

BlueknightWI
03-21-2015, 05:50 AM
I agree with a lot of what several of you have posted in this thread. Being a noobie to TH and chocks, I wanted to research as much as possible to find what I'm most comfortable using.

QUOTE=JRTJH;164748]I don't know the exact reference that you're talking about, but there's a significant difference in buying landing gear for a widebody passenger plane and a wheel chock for a $9000 motorcycle. One has to be "built to the 9's" and one has to hold a front wheel steady. I wouldn't look at price as being the only factor, but just because it's expensive doesn't necessarily mean that it will work any better than the "cheap spread"......[/QUOTE]

asp125
03-21-2015, 02:54 PM
http://www.baxleycompanies.com/Sportchock.html

We have been on the road for the past year with our bikes. We used the Baxley sport chocks with ratchet straps at the stock tie down locations. It held our dirt bikes just fine to Moab, and our street bikes all over the lower 48. The rubber feet never moved an inch. I used two straps up front and one on the rear.

hdrolling
03-24-2015, 07:10 AM
I use the cheap HF condor style wheel locks in my 7x15 enclosed motorcycle trailer and never have had an issue. My question is for the people that travel and stay for extended periods, where do you store your big wheel chock while camping? I wouldn't want to keep it in the garage as that will be our dining room/ kids bedroom, but don't want to leave it out to be stolen either. Do you just wrap it in a tarp and lock it up outside or leave it in the garage?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165179_0_9f1e143258ff49f1efff5c65fea18693.jpg

Desert185
03-24-2015, 08:00 AM
My Condor unbolts from the flat floor plate it mounts to. The garage floor is then unobstructed. You can then store it in the basement.

Its just the DW and the DD, so we leave it attached, but the removable feature is nice when I want to haul a quad.

BlueknightWI
03-24-2015, 09:32 AM
Well, since I've not yet received my trailer and/or installed the wheel chocks, I am only surmising. My intent is to store it either in the basement storage or in my truck when we are camping. We intend to use our garage for living space as well. Love your bike, by the way! I'm more of a chrome guy, but that is sharp!

I use the cheap HF condor style wheel locks in my 7x15 enclosed motorcycle trailer and never have had an issue. My question is for the people that travel and stay for extended periods, where do you store your big wheel chock while camping? I wouldn't want to keep it in the garage as that will be our dining room/ kids bedroom, but don't want to leave it out to be stolen either. Do you just wrap it in a tarp and lock it up outside or leave it in the garage?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_165209_0_9f1e143258ff49f1efff5c65fea18693.jpg