PDA

View Full Version : Who`s going camping for the holidays?

crash
12-11-2014, 04:35 AM
Getting ready to start the packing for the Holiday trip.Will load the golfcart this weekend and load the wood.Make sure both propane bottles are filled and the gas tank for the generator (just in case we need it :D)We leave the 26th for Myrtle Beach SC:ny1: til Jan 5 :party:This should be the last trip til Easter week when we start back up camping.

byrdr1
12-11-2014, 05:02 AM
enjoy,
myrtle is pretty neat around the holiday's.
randy

Desert185
12-11-2014, 05:36 AM
We left the Reno area yesterday just before the big storm impacts the area. First night in Beatty, NV on the way to Houston for Christmas and New Year, then various destinations on the way back visiting friends and sightseeing for another five weeks.

Enjoy your stay in Myrtle Beach.

notanlines
12-11-2014, 06:01 AM
Just last Sunday Brenda and I rolled the Harley up the ramp and tied her down for the trip south. We'll load the remainder of our "stuff" this coming Sunday and be ready to roll. Christmas decorations will come down late the 25th and the rig will head to New Orleans for a few days and then on to Okeechobee for three months. :D

Javi
12-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Christmas with the family (grandkids) and then on to Goose Island State Park until after New Year's Day..

GaryWT
12-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Sounds great, have fun. We are not at a place that we could do that yet but some day I can see us heading south and dewinterizing for a week or so. Enjoy.

geo
12-11-2014, 07:41 AM
We plan to leave Jan. 2nd or 3rd and head to Santa Fe then on to Pagosa Springs.

Ron

Andymon
12-11-2014, 09:05 AM
We hope to spend about 5 days at Brookings, Oregon.

thewhitehat
12-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Too cold! Trailer in mothballs. See you in the spring.

BOWWOW
12-11-2014, 02:28 PM
:cool:After finishing a few mods on the 5er and completing a kitchen remodel in the sticks and bricks we are to leave for Costa Rica for 10 weeks.

notanlines
12-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Bowwow, I suppose you know you haven't made any friends after that last post.....:D On a more serious note, how about a short outline of your plans on getting there. We have been to Costa Rica many times, always flown into Liberia and traveled in the Tamarindo area the last couple of times. We would love to travel with you. We are seriously jealous as all get out. Ticos are the friendliest people ever!

bsmith0404
12-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Not really a holiday trip, but we are making a camping trip out of our move to NM. 1 night in Joplin, 1 night in Elk City, and 1 night in Tucumcari before arriving in Las Cruces. We leave next week.

Desert185
12-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Las Cruces, eh? My son tells me La Posta has excellent Mexican food. We'll be there in a couple of days for an overnite and are planning to try it.

gearhead
12-11-2014, 06:34 PM
We plan to leave Jan. 2nd or 3rd and head to Santa Fe then on to Pagosa Springs.

Ron

geo: where you staying in Santé Fe and Pagosa? We are way overdue for a visit. We stayed somewhere east of pagosa years ago. Also slept in a tent up by Williams Creek reservoir many times when elk hunting. Got snowed in once and thought we would never get out.

theeyres
12-11-2014, 08:16 PM
We're leaving the 24th for Anza-Borrego State Park in CA. We'll be there for two weeks. It's the biggest and best park in CA--in the middle of the Mojave Desert. Great hikes down in the slot canyons or up in the mountains with the Big Horn Sheep. And the warmest weather around.

bsmith0404
12-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Las Cruces, eh? My son tells me La Posta has excellent Mexican food. We'll be there in a couple of days for an overnite and are planning to try it.

They do have good food. Bring your appetite, the servings are huge. Not as big as the 72 oz steak in Amarillo :)

Desert185
12-12-2014, 05:24 AM
They do have good food. Bring your appetite, the servings are huge. Not as big as the 72 oz steak in Amarillo :)

I won't be trying that on for size. I already know I'm not worthy. :)

geo
12-12-2014, 08:54 AM
geo: where you staying in Santé Fe and Pagosa? We are way overdue for a visit. We stayed somewhere east of pagosa years ago. Also slept in a tent up by Williams Creek reservoir many times when elk hunting. Got snowed in once and thought we would never get out.

Gearhead -

We will be staying at the Trailer Ranch RV on Cerrillos Road in Santa Fe. It's close in and right on the direct bus line to the Square. They have some pull-thru spots near the front and are not that busy during winter. We will probably stay about a week.

Getting to Santa Fe is a different matter. Short daylight hours this time of year. Instead of the beating, er drive, from DFW to Amarillo in one day, we will take two. Plan to stay at the Cotton Gin RV in Goodlett, TX outside of Vernon. Looks like a neat RV park. Then on to Amarillo, Tucumcari, and then Santa Fe.

Pagosa Springs is a whole different matter. There are several nice RV parks around Pagosa, but only two are open during the winter - Happy Camper and The Last Resort. Of the two, The Last Resort is the smaller but the best. However, The Last Resort is located on the highway to Chama down in the valley of the Blanco River. Beautiful area but if there is a big dump of snow, might be harder to get out. Also, the mountains limit cell and MiFi service. If it were summer, this would be where we would stay. Instead, we are booked at Happy Camper. Happy Camper is about 8 miles west of the newer part of Pagosa Springs on the road to Durango. It's basically a gravel lot in a wide valley setting. Yes, it could get a dump of snow, and yes, it is not as protected from winds. But for our purpose, skiing at Wolf Creek, it is the better choice. Besides, it's on the road to Durango where we have some friends to visit!

Yes, our SOB is as well insulated in the underbelly as I made our Alpine, and much better insulated in the walls and ceilings. Last year we spent 6 days below freezing with the coldest temperature reaching 12F (-11C). No pipes froze, underbelly temperature never fell below 49F, all warm and cozy inside, burned about 40 pounds of propane a week supplemented with electric heaters. I realize most full-time RVers are snowbirds, and at some time in the future, we might be too.

Ron

bsmith0404
12-12-2014, 01:01 PM
I can't remember the name of it right now, but there is a Japanese Spa in the hills just outside of town in Santa Fe, great place to go for a very relaxing day! Massage, hot tub soak.....spend a couple hours there and nothing else will matter.

geo
12-12-2014, 01:54 PM
I can't remember the name of it right now, but there is a Japanese Spa in the hills just outside of town in Santa Fe, great place to go for a very relaxing day! Massage, hot tub soak.....spend a couple hours there and nothing else will matter.

Oh! That's right!!! And age has taken the name away from me too. But I know the place you mention. Now I'll have to tackle Google search to remind me! More later.

Ron

On edit:
Ten Thousand Waves! On the road up to the ski area!!!!

Ron

KanTC
12-12-2014, 04:15 PM

They do have good food. Bring your appetite, the servings are huge..........:)

Ditto, what Brent (& your son) said :D We really like La Posta too... one of our favorites when in the Las Cruces area.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

gearhead
12-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Hey geo, give us a review on that Cotton Gin rv park. I looked at it too. In my younger days it was nothing to blast all day from Houston to Amarillo. Now, a stopover is welcome. Actually we used to drive non stop to Pagosa to go hunting. One driving, one passenger in the cab, and one in the bunk in the cabover. Brings back a lot of memories. Was it the Elkhorn Cafe on the side of the road south of Chama? And the Mexican restaurant....can't remember the name. She moved into "town" in Chama, the food wasn't the same.
Back in the 1980's we stayed in the motorhome with the kids at Vallecito Lake. Our now 32 yr old daughter caught a huge trout there. I took a horseback ride up to Pope's Nose Mtn and I'm still saddle sore!
Yesterday I asked the wife if she wanted to go to Pagosa and just chill...oh yes, in the summer!

Festus2
12-12-2014, 04:33 PM
gearhead -
If you haven't gone to this site (www.rvparkreviews.com) give it a try. It lists hundreds of RV parks and campgrounds all over N.A. with reviews and ratings submitted by folks who have stayed there. Like all reviews, they are subjective but do give you an overall picture of the place so you have some idea of what it is like before you get there.

See what the reviews are for Cotton Gin.

BOWWOW
12-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Bowwow, I suppose you know you haven't made any friends after that last post.....:D On a more serious note, how about a short outline of your plans on getting there. We have been to Costa Rica many times, always flown into Liberia and traveled in the Tamarindo area the last couple of times. We would love to travel with you. We are seriously jealous as all get out. Ticos are the friendliest people ever!

I've sent you a private message on this topic let me know if you received it, BOWWOW! Ticos are good people.

gearhead
12-12-2014, 04:52 PM
gearhead -
If you haven't gone to this site (www.rvparkreviews.com) give it a try. It lists hundreds of RV parks and campgrounds all over N.A. with reviews and ratings submitted by folks who have stayed there. Like all reviews, they are subjective but do give you an overall picture of the place so you have some idea of what it is like before you get there.

yep Festus, that and Good Sam are my "go to" sites.

bsmith0404
12-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Oh! That's right!!! And age has taken the name away from me too. But I know the place you mention. Now I'll have to tackle Google search to remind me! More later.

Ron

On edit:
Ten Thousand Waves! On the road up to the ski area!!!!

Ron

Yep, that's the place!

chris199
12-12-2014, 09:38 PM
Headed to the Keys on Dec 18...home on the 5th of Jan.

12 of us to be there...kids, spouses, grandkids, sister in law, nephews and one spouse.

New tires on TT.
Had to get axle adjusted aligned
Widened and lengthened bed platform, moved an outlet, and installed a sleep number short queen. New tires on the truck. Lots of gifts for the grandkids and no so many for the adults. Can't wait! !!

geo
12-15-2014, 07:42 AM
Gearhead -

Will do! Sometime in early January. If you head up there in the summer, try The Last Resort. Actually, TLR is located right west of where the late Dan Fogelberg's (singer and song writer) house is located - and is presently on the market for only $6 mil.

Bsmith0404 -

We hope to get up there for a soak in the hot tub at least!

Ron

gearhead
12-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Geo: This one is north of Pagosa, going towards Williams Creek Reservoir.
http://www.sportsmanscampground.com/

bwright
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Going to Tampa and the OutbackBowl for several days😄😄😄

Desert185
12-16-2014, 04:48 PM
Ditto, what Brent (& your son) said :D We really like La Posta too... one of our favorites when in the Las Cruces area.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Unfortunately, it was very disappointing. Guadalajara on Prince in Tucson was the best Mex ever. Absolutely outstanding in all regards.

geo
12-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Geo: This one is north of Pagosa, going towards Williams Creek Reservoir.
http://www.sportsmanscampground.com/

Gearhead -
Thanks. This is a great campground! Besides a great location. But they are open May 20 to November 15.

Ron

C1v1leng
12-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Picked up our new 5ver in FL and stayed near daughter #1 for thanksgiving.
Camped in Pensacola and outside Rustin MS on our way to TX to stay with Daughter #2 and Granddaughter #1 through Christmas. Then on to AZ to visit more family. Return by the same route in time for the spring thaw in NH.

dandjh1958
12-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Heading to the Oregon Coast for Christmas! Crabbing and kayaking on Tillamook Bay. Not sure when I'll head back.... sometime before spring break ;-)
Happy camping!!!

2014Fuzion300
12-18-2014, 12:32 PM
:cool:After finishing a few mods on the 5er and completing a kitchen remodel in the sticks and bricks we are to leave for Costa Rica for 10 weeks.

Pura Vida!!!

BOWWOW
12-19-2014, 05:51 AM
Pura Vida!!!

Yes indeed, I cant wait for my annual yard sale on the surf board! Ha Ha.

TheRealMacGyver
12-21-2014, 07:59 PM
First trip tomorrow with our brand new 238ML and my head is reeling! Hoping I remembered the "important stuff"! Going just for one night to Fort Wilderness, Disney, Orlando. Have to get back for our big Christmas Day bash. I will post how it goes!

bsmith0404
12-22-2014, 05:19 AM
We took our time going from Illinois to Las Cruces. traveled about 5-7 hours per day and stopped for overnights at KOAs along the way (Joplin, Elk City, Tucumcari) made it safely to the wonderful southern NM weather without any problems. Didn't even lose a blowmax. The duramax did great lugging the 15K Alpine around and averaged 10.5 mpgs for the trip. The diesel prices were a nice surprise, paid 2.55 at Walmart south of Joplin, and 2.59 at Clines Corners in NM. Enjoyed the trip, but after 5 yrs away, it's good to be home

mikell
12-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Headed to Green Bay Saturday to see the Lions game Sunday then back by mid week. Haven't really found a parking place yet but working on it

bsmith0404
12-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Headed to Green Bay Saturday to see the Lions game Sunday then back by mid week. Haven't really found a parking place yet but working on it

Ummmm, you don't watch Lion's games in Green Bay, you go to Lambeau to watch the Packers. The Lions are just the other team on the field, hopefully the losing team.

2014Fuzion300
12-25-2014, 08:42 PM
We are camping at Jekyll Island GA!

glenalt
12-26-2014, 01:35 AM
gearhead -

Thanks for the park review site. It was great to be able to see all the reviews from each state.

mikell
12-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Just got back from Green Bay and the Detroit Lions game. Took the motorhome not the 5th wheel but it was wonderful to have a warm place for everyone to get into their warm clothes. The ride home was long but stopped at some friends in Kenosha and just plugged in it their driveway and all 6 of us found a place to get comfy. then hit the road in the morning and came through Chicago before the rush.

bsmith0404
12-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Just got back from Green Bay and the Detroit Lions game. Took the motorhome not the 5th wheel but it was wonderful to have a warm place for everyone to get into their warm clothes. The ride home was long but stopped at some friends in Kenosha and just plugged in it their driveway and all 6 of us found a place to get comfy. then hit the road in the morning and came through Chicago before the rush.

Glad you had a good trip. What a great game!

byrdr1
12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
Crash,
Hows you week or two been? YOU been quiet..
you started the thread.
randy

Javi
12-30-2014, 02:25 PM
Still camped at Goose Island SP, Rockport, TX.. Weather has been a bit brisk but we've enjoyed the time anyway. Always good food and time away from work can never be a bad thing..

mikell
12-31-2014, 10:04 AM
We were headed to the farm this morning till Sunday but the wife said she would rather not go when it's 15 with 30 mph winds she can't enjoy sitting by the fire.

crash
01-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Having a great time:D still out, spending some time with family and got to see some fireworks and lots and lots of:party::party::party:.Hope everyone had a great time over the holidays.Will be heading home the 5th or 6th .Thanks for asking randy

byrdr1
01-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Having a great time:D still out, spending some time with family and got to see some fireworks and lots and lots of.Hope everyone had a great time over the holidays.Will be heading home the 5th or 6th .
Glad you all enjoyed Myrtle Beach..
I didn't see anything new year eve but the bed around 11:35 thats about all I could stand..not even a :party:..
:)

BOWWOW
02-25-2015, 10:57 AM

notanlines,
We have a week and 1/2 left here. We bounced around at several friends timeshares, stayed in Tamarindo , Coco, Nicaragua for 6 days ,surfed, camped in a Yurt in the Arenal volcano area for a week, we are now at the RIU Guanacaste for the remainder. Flying out of Liberia March 7. Managed to find some internet cafe's along the way I have enjoyed some humor on this forum. How is Florida?

notanlines
02-26-2015, 04:06 AM
To anyone looking for a great family vacation, Costa Rica is a wonderful destination. Roads aren't so hot, but the people are great, and tons of things to do at a moderate price. We are wintering in Clewiston, Florida and love the weather. Equal distance for beaches on each coast and prices are fair. We're glad you are having a great trip.