PDA

View Full Version : My hitch

Mr keystone
12-05-2014, 12:46 PM
I have a Reese pro, think the model is 66157. It's a trunnion bar, friction pad setup.
I don't have any issues and it performs very well. F250 , Sprinter 272rls.
I realize there is an infinite amount of brands and types but my paranoia is I never see anyone else using this set up.
So I always wondered if dealers generally not stock, or recommend these hitches for any reason?
Does anyone here use or have an opinion.

chuckster57
12-05-2014, 01:40 PM
66157 is a 15000/1500 pound WD hitch. I wouldn't hesitate to use any Reese hitch, and the probable reason you don't see it mentioned that much is the 10000/1000 pound hitch is more common.

We stock both the 10000 pound and the 8000 pound with sway for new purchases. I know we wouldn't hesitate to order a 66157 if it was called for.

There are different brands and styles, each having its own good and bad. If your happy with the performance of your current hitch, enjoy and don't worry.

notanlines
12-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Mr Keystone, one of our neighbors has this hitch and has had no trouble at all. It is simply made to handle larger cargo than what you tow. You probably have a tongue weight in the 6-700 pound range and I think that hitch is designed to handle more along the lines of 1000 to 1500 or so. Enjoy it, it is a fine hitch.

Javi
12-06-2014, 04:29 AM
Finally... someone with more truck and more hitch than they need.. :D :thewave:

Brantlaker
12-06-2014, 12:50 PM
JAVI, my new F350 will tow 16,000lb and my FORD/Reese hitch is rated for 22,500lb. Is that enough to tow my 11,172lb 5W (Cat scaled in Florida last October when I brought down for the Winter).

Mr keystone
12-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the feed back. The trailer dry is 6700 so know this is plenty. There always is the debate of what to buy first, TT or TV. I knew I wanted a Trailer around 30' so went out and bought a truck first and took my time choosing a trailer to our liking and I could haul with no problem.
As I said I always felt a little insecure not seeing this hitch setup anywhere but it works well and thanks for the feed back.

Dodgeman
01-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Talking about hitches Is it possible to have a hitch that is to big for the weight of the trailer. I have a Passport 238ml dry weight of around 3900 lbs. My hitch is a Valley 12000 lb. hitch the bars are about 1 1/4 - 11/2 inches around. Pulls good except on wavey interstates its like we are on a bucking bronco sometimes. Truck is 1500 with a hemi and trailer tow suspension.

Dodgeman

Woodsrider
01-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Finally... someone with more truck and more hitch than they need.. :D :thewave:

We fall in this category as well with a 2500HD Duramax and a 10,000# Equalizer hitch to pull a 7000# gross trailer. I'm from the school of thought that one can never have too much truck.

Desert185
01-05-2015, 01:19 AM
My Andersen is rated for 24,000#...much more than the truck or SRX. Love that hitch.

GmaPaTime
01-05-2015, 05:24 AM
X2 Desert185 :)

GaryWT
01-05-2015, 06:37 AM
When I bought our trailer 4 years ago I needed a hitch, did not know much about them other than I wanted a combined wd and sway. Told the sales person and they said I wanted an equil-i-zer, I said ok. Is that based on the the dealer or the marketing from equil-i-zer or lack there of from reese, not sure.

Like everything else in this world, less than 2% on this site and usually only perple with issues discuss the product so if you do not hear about a product you own, it is probably a good thing, lol.

natedog_37
01-06-2015, 06:19 AM
I have used a couple different types. My Car Trailer has a Reese hitch with the sway and WD. It is ok

My new camper has a Blue OX system. I will say I like this system 100% better. Much easier to setup and no taking off anything to backup.

audio1der
01-06-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm quite happy with our Reese DCSC. I believe it does as much as can be expected from a WD hitch.
I've never understood, nor applied to the thinking of unhooking it to back up.

If the hitch works for you and your application, don't fret; enjoy! :)

natedog_37
01-06-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm quite happy with our Reese DCSC. I believe it does as much as can be expected from a WD hitch.
I've never understood, nor applied to the thinking of unhooking it to back up.

If the hitch works for you and your application, don't fret; enjoy! :)

I have seen people snap there sway bars when backing up. Now was it not setup correct? Granted it was a very very Sharpe turn.

That is one of the things I like about this new setup. In my mind just one less thing to worry about since I always hear "Are we there yet, are we there yet, can we get out etc"

audio1der
01-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Why would they snap? The trunion arm's detent moves up and over the cam, allowing it lots of movement. I could see if you had it so tight the it bound between the cam and frame and simply couldn't move, but that's not setup properly so I wouldn't expect it to work, either.
:confused:

Javi
01-09-2015, 04:07 AM
I have seen people snap there sway bars when backing up. Now was it not setup correct? Granted it was a very very Sharpe turn.

That is one of the things I like about this new setup. In my mind just one less thing to worry about since I always hear "Are we there yet, are we there yet, can we get out etc"

The backing up thingy was/is more about friction type sway bars than the others. The friction pad type can and will bottom out or pull the bar out in a tight backing maneuver. Usually it's the little swivel ball that break or bends. I have that tee shirt... :D

bsmith0404
01-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Talking about hitches Is it possible to have a hitch that is to big for the weight of the trailer. I have a Passport 238ml dry weight of around 3900 lbs. My hitch is a Valley 12000 lb. hitch the bars are about 1 1/4 - 11/2 inches around. Pulls good except on wavey interstates its like we are on a bucking bronco sometimes. Truck is 1500 with a hemi and trailer tow suspension.

Dodgeman

Dodgeman,

The only issues I have heard of with a WD hitch that is too big for the trailer is ride stiffness. Probably what you are experiencing with your set-up. I would check with Husky (used to be Valley) and see if you can just buy a light bar set. If so, you should be able to smoothen out your ride a bit and have the bonus of already having a heavier set-up if you ever upgrade to a larger trailer.

natedog_37
01-09-2015, 05:35 AM
The backing up thingy was/is more about friction type sway bars than the others. The friction pad type can and will bottom out or pull the bar out in a tight backing maneuver. Usually it's the little swivel ball that break or bends. I have that tee shirt... :D

Correct that is what I was referring to. Thank you for adding that sorry I didn't

My dealer had the friction or the blue ox.

my other trailer is also friction and is a pain.