PDA

View Full Version : RV Park Landscaper Damage to Trailer

wilsonseattle
12-03-2014, 12:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. The RV park we stay at (full time) has a contracted landscape crew that comes around and mows the lawn and takes care of various projects. For some reason they mowed the lawn alongside our rig very short and subsequently threw a rock that took out our living room vent window.

The RV park manger demanded that we get a claim number from our insurance before they would take any action to resolve the issue.

Has anyone had any problems like this?

hankpage
12-03-2014, 01:14 PM
I don't know about Washington, but in New jersey you are not required to carry insurance on your trailer. When it is attached to the TV it is covered under it's mandatory liability policy.
I think your CG is trying to pass the buck and does not want a claim on their insurance. Both the GG and the landscaper should be libel for the damage caused by them. The landscapers business insurance should cover this without question .... if they are legit and have insurance . JM2¢, Hank

Festus2
12-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I would think that the CG would have some sort of insurance policy that would cover this kind of damage to your RV. The folks who cut the grass may be employees of the CG in which case they would fall under the CG's insurance. If they are not employees but under separate contract to cut the grass then they should have their own insurance.

In any case you should not be responsible for having to pay for any damage. If you do have some type of insurance that would cover the costs, there would still be a deductible that you would have to pay. The CG should, if this is the case, cover the cost of your deductible.

I would try to find out what, if any, insurance the CG has and insist that the costs come from someone else's pocket - not yours.

I think Hankpage may be right when he says that the CG is trying to wiggle out of making a claim on their insurance.

wilsonseattle
12-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Thanks Hank, because we are full timers we carry "full timer" insurance which is very similiar to homeowners insurance. So this issue is covered under our comprehensive coverage. The park manager is trying to get this resolved at their cost but I have never heard of the issue of requiring someone to get their insurance company involved before they will take any action.

cabinfever
12-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Since that was an LCO mowing the lawn, they are responsible. Being a LCO myself, I would just pay the cost to repair. Insurance is for the serious stuff!

sourdough
12-03-2014, 03:03 PM
The contracting firm that does the grounds keeping is liable for your repair costs whether they have insurance or not. As cabinfever noted something like this would normally be paid out of pocket by the contractor vs filing a claim. We had a new dishwasher installed that subsequently leaked. It ruined the inside of the cabinet and warped the wood floor. The dealer that installed the washer paid for the cabinet repairs and the installation of an entire new wood floor out of pocket vs filing insurance.

ONE OTHER thing to think about; if you call you insurance company, even to inquire, they will log you with a "claim". When I went to buy insurance on our new RV at the first of the year each insurance company would pull a "claim record" on us to determine their rates. Each time I was told I had a claim about a refrigerator replacement when in fact it never happened. We had a power outage and it fried our fridge. I called the insurance company to see if it was covered and found it wasn't unless it was lightning; which it wasn't so I bought a new fridge out of pocket. I tried to explain that to each company but they told me it was considered a "claim". Maybe it's just TX but keep that in mind and push the owner of the contracting company, thru the owner of the park if needed, to do what's right. If you use your insurance there could be further costs down the road.

notanlines
12-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Sourdough is on the money! State Farm got a call from us when our water pipe broke under the kitchen floor. Long story, but it wasn't covered. But, yes, it was a claim. And I might add, the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance whatsoever. Your RV park manager may very well be in the same boat. You need to leave YOUR company out of this and go after HIS company.

cabinfever
12-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Sourdough is on the money! State Farm got a call from us when our water pipe broke under the kitchen floor. Long story, but it wasn't covered. But, yes, it was a claim. And I might add, the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance whatsoever. Your RV park manager may very well be in the same boat. You need to leave YOUR company out of this and go after HIS company.

A vast majority, if not all, legit LCO's have insurance. If you just hire a guy with a pick up and a mower, probably no insurance. I would hope the CG hired a legit company.

GaryWT
12-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Ask the campground and/or landscaper for their insurance info. No different than exchanging info for a car accident. Tell them your insurance company will need/want that info to file the claim. If they want to pay out of pocket this might just get them moving towards that solution.

notanlines
12-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Cabinfever, I have been in the commercial construction business for the last 38 years, 31 of which were spent with my own company. Licensed, bonded and insured are terms that are thrown around like rocks under a lawn mower. LCO is commonly known as Licensed Cable Operator or about 29 other acronyms of various definitions. In the real world I stand by my statement saying the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance.

Festus2
12-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks Hank, because we are full timers we carry "full timer" insurance which is very similiar to homeowners insurance. So this issue is covered under our comprehensive coverage. The park manager is trying to get this resolved at their cost but I have never heard of the issue of requiring someone to get their insurance company involved before they will take any action.

It sounds as if wilsonseattle's RV damage is going to be looked after by the CG manager as it appears that he is "trying to get this resolved at their (the RV park) cost".

I hope wilson will keep us up-to-date and let us know the outcome which, at this point, sounds encouraging if the manager can be taken at his word. Let's hope so!!

cabinfever
12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
Cabinfever, I have been in the commercial construction business for the last 38 years, 31 of which were spent with my own company. Licensed, bonded and insured are terms that are thrown around like rocks under a lawn mower. LCO is commonly known as Licensed Cable Operator or about 29 other acronyms of various definitions. In the real world I stand by my statement saying the vast majority of landscape contractors have no insurance.

http://www.lawnsite.com/index.php

You will notice LCO used often on this site because it stands for Lawn Care Operation and/or Landscape Company. I also stand by my statement that legit LCO's have insurance. Your world must be different than the hundred or so LCO's I have spoken with over the years. We will just have to agree to disagree on the numbers of LCO's who carry insurance.

AndyC
12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
You're in WA, research their license and bond on the WA state L and I website. Report directly to them. Let them know under no uncertain terms that if this is not resolved quickly it will be reported as vandalism. There should be no claim filed on your insurance whatsoever.

wilsonseattle
12-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone, the drama is still ongoing as now the landscaper is denying any fault, as there are no witnesses this could get ugly.

notanlines
12-04-2014, 03:10 PM
I think Andy is also on the money. By the way, Cabin Fever, I happened to re-read our posts and the word "legit" jumped out at me. Had I read your post more carefully I would not have been so harsh with your trade. I am staring at the ground with my hat in my hand.:o

sourdough
12-05-2014, 01:34 PM
Wilson - it's unfortunate that the landscaper is claiming ignorance. Andy had what sounds like a pretty good idea, and, the landscaper works for the campground so....the park manager is next up the chain. He is responsible for the work that his employees do. You might want to sit down with him, or him and the contractor, and try to iron this out. Do you have any idea what it will cost to replace the vent window?

BulletOwner1
12-05-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and suggest that you find out the cost of repairing the damage, take that figure to the CG management and offer to have the repair done yourself and have the campground deduct the cost from your campground fees. That way you get it fixed and the CG just gives you a "reduced rate" and no insurance company/lawyer/etc. gets involved. Just a thought.

hankaye
12-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Howdy All;

I'll drop my 2 pennies in the box.
When I bought my TT, it had a busted window, we dickered around it,
and then a lower piece of glass in the same window broke (my bad),
It cost me $80.00 to get both pieces of glass replaced. Most any window
place can do it. They just need to measure and double check the radii,
then cut and insert. Some will even do it as a service call so you won't have
to up root just to go in and get it done.
I'm done now.

hankaye

Randy_K
12-05-2014, 07:57 PM
If its a hundred buck repair I would just have a glass co fix it. It would not be worth the stress and fight if the landscaper did not want to pay for it. I would even offer the landscaper the business card of the glass company to fix the broken window in his truck.:rolleyes:

hankpage
12-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Howdy All;

I'll drop my 2 pennies in the box.
When I bought my TT, it had a busted window, we dickered around it,
and then a lower piece of glass in the same window broke (my bad),
It cost me $80.00 to get both pieces of glass replaced. Most any window
place can do it. They just need to measure and double check the radii,
then cut and insert. Some will even do it as a service call so you won't have
to up root just to go in and get it done.
I'm done now.

hankaye

I'm not sure about your state but in mine auto safety glass is required in all trailers. It cannot be cut like normal window glass. I think it has to be ordered from the window manufacturer pre-cut but still shouldn't be too expensive. ... the other Hank

notanlines
12-06-2014, 03:16 AM
Randy, that comment didn't get by without a little snicker here in Memphis....:D

hankaye
12-06-2014, 08:49 AM
toH, Howdy;

I'm not sure about your state but in mine auto safety glass is required in all trailers. It cannot be cut like normal window glass. I think it has to be ordered from the window manufacturer pre-cut but still shouldn't be too expensive. ... the other Hank

The place I went to was a trailer repair facility that also was a window shop.
The glass was safety rated, the same as was installed at the manufacturer.
Does N.J. require the manufacturers to use a different glass just for N.J.? That
sure would bump up the price of a new unit wouldn't you think?

hankaye

hankpage
12-06-2014, 09:36 AM
toH, Howdy;

The place I went to was a trailer repair facility that also was a window shop.
The glass was safety rated, the same as was installed at the manufacturer.
Does N.J. require the manufacturers to use a different glass just for N.J.? That
sure would bump up the price of a new unit wouldn't you think?

hankaye

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1172
I am not sure about today's trailers but my previous Layton 5r was shipped from the factory with a rear window glass that did not have the proper DOT approved auto safety glass in it. I had to wait for a new window to be shipped and installed before I could remove the trailer from the lot. Not that anyone would ever look close enough to see the tiny DOT markings printed on the window but the dealer said it was a state law and they would be liable if they sold it just like California's CARB compliant vehicles and equipment. Somewhere in the fine print it states that all state and federal requirements must be met. This is the same dealer who insisted on seeing my TV before signing and had a policy of having a tech watch me hook up and go on a test drive with me before signing even though I had an articulated vehicle license at the time. (state equivalent of today's CDL) ... I wish more dealers were that safety conscious. I had previously bought a TT from them and had to gladly go through the same road test each time. Great dealer, just not Keystone and too far away. Okay, okay... enough of this on someone else's thread, The other Hank

Randy ..... Are you suggesting golf practice while the landscaper is driving through the park???? You rascal. :D

notanlines
12-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Fooouuuuur.....:D

hankpage
12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
If you missed him the first time ... you got him on the second try. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=1402

rnkburg
12-10-2014, 02:07 PM
This happened to me on second time out. Mowing company was contracted and paid without a question. Funny part was they were telling me they were doing it all by the books as I pointed out they did not have the side chute guard on there machines. They told me I didn't know what I was talking about. I gave them my card which I work for a lawnmower manufacturer and my best friend gave his as he is a commercial mower himself. Funny they didn't go back to those statements anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

64tbolt
01-26-2015, 10:23 PM
leave your ins out of it. Just get a quote from a repair facility and present that to them. If you don't get what you want small claims court. They want to pay out of pocket to not increase THEIR ins rates.

bsmith0404
01-27-2015, 06:53 AM
I don't know about you guys, but to me this just doesn't seem worth all of the hassle. I always figured I pay insurance enough to let them deal with these things. If the insurance company feels the company was negligent, they will take them to court or contact their insurance and get the money back. In the end, your trailer is fixed and you don't have the headache. I haven't re-read everything so I may have missed something here, like the fact that your deductible is probably more than the repair would cost..........

Ken / Claudia
01-27-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree with post #27 and if they do not pay go on Judge Judy. For the 100 bucks or so they might owe you they will get yelled at by the Judge for not paying.

Big Papa 2014 Fuzion
01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Please read your Policy, it is a contract and states you must report all accidents to them. Let them do what they do best.

Ken / Claudia
01-31-2015, 11:56 PM
Nothing ever mentioned when this happened, do they mow the lawn in Dec in Washington or was this last summer? If last summer the workers and company might be might be long gone.

cabinfever
02-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Even if it was the end of their mowing season, it is now 2 months later. The longer you wait for this type of claim the more likely it will go no where. I'm curious what the outcome was.

Festus2
02-01-2015, 08:53 AM
As you can see, the OP's last update was on Dec 4- almost 2 months ago and his last activity on the forum was on Dec 18th. At this point, it doesn't appear likely that we will find out about the outcome.

Ken / Claudia
02-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks, I suppose it is to late to get the case before Judge Judy.