PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone help needed

NotyetMHCowner
11-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Hey all,

We are still waiting on our camper to be built. We ordered a 2015 Montana High Country 305RL from RVWholesalers, but I'm not sure that is what we are getting since it is going to be a 2016 model now. Anyway, I think it is going to be around 34' total length.

We are from the Knoxville, Tennessee area and wanting to go to Yellowstone next year, probably the last week of July and the first week of August for the total trip. We were planning 5 days there, 4 days at Yellowstone, 2 days at Rushmore, and 5 days back. We could probably tightened up the schedule a bit on the trip there and back, but we didn't want to spend the whole time in the truck. Maybe see a little on the way there and back.

I see that Fishing Bridge is the only one with full hookups. I guess that means that all of the other campgrounds have no utilities. That's not a huge problem. We should have good size tanks, and I do have a portable waste tank if needed. We are hoping to also have generator power. But we would rather be somewhere with scenery anyway. We were thinking of staying one place for a night or two and moving for the rest of the trip somewhere else.

We have never been anywhere that far away from home camping. I realize that we need to be ready to start making reservations and have plans now, so that is why I am on here.

I am really looking for thoughts on which campgrounds can accommodate a fifth wheel of our size, near points of interest, and general knowledge of a trip like that.

Thanks

notanlines
11-24-2014, 02:41 PM
We are veterans of the Yellowstone Park, many times over. However, our battles have been fought through the motels in all the local areas. Our recommendation would be to reserve (a long time in advance, like today!) in West Yellowstone. In the Cody area there are a few, but you are 50 miles from the park. Same way with Jackson, maybe 40 miles. At least you are within striking distance in West Yellowstone.

notanlines
11-24-2014, 02:49 PM
I might further add that Fishing Bridge is probably how Brenda and I would make this trip. Regardless, can we talk you into sliding by Memphis on your way? We'll chip in a couple bucks for fuel, AND do most of the cooking. Now is this a great offer or what? :D

NotyetMHCowner
11-24-2014, 04:11 PM
Haha! That's hilarious. We may be going through Memphis, so we will have to consider your offer!! lol.

I made online reservations today to Fishing Bridge for all 5 nights (I am going to pay for an extra night so we don't have to check out by 11am). I noticed many days and campgrounds were taken, so I went ahead and jumped. We would still like to split the time there between two campgrounds. We will probably be coming into the South entrance and leave through the East entrance headed towards Rushmore.

I will call also, to be able to let them know particulars of our unit (that we don't even have yet!! lol). I have read some reviews about certain spots being big enough for their rigs, but low hanging trees only 9 or 10 feet off of the ground. Our rig will be over 13 feet tall, so I don't want to have a problem like that when arriving.

Once we are able to figure out where we are staying the whole time at Yellowstone, then we will start looking at places along the way there and back. We want to take two different routes there and back. We will probably go through St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver on the way there and Minnesota, Illinois, Indiana on the way back.

gearhead
11-24-2014, 07:19 PM
Whatever else you do, you should go here:
http://centerofthewest.org/explore/buffalo-bill/

placergoldman
11-24-2014, 11:49 PM
You might look at Red Rock Campground in Island Park Idaho.Its 20miles from the west entrance.Very nice place...

Tim

Laredo291OH
11-25-2014, 02:25 AM
We were just at Fishing Bridge this past July. Don't expect much from the campground. It is basically a huge parking lot with hookups. Our 30' travel trailer was a tight squeeze and we actually had problems using our outdoor kitchen because the door opened directly into a tree. Saw a fiver that their entrance door and steps were in a tree also. I'm not sure I would stay there again, it's only plus is that it is full hookups and directly in the park. It rained quite a bit while we there turning the huge pot holes in the asphalt into small ponds, one was directly under our steps. Also, there are no fire rings or picnic tables. The one good, we really only slept and ate breakfast and dinner there, otherwise we were out traveling the park. You will put on a lot of miles just traveling the park, even though Fishing Bridge is inside of Yellowstone, everything is still a 30 or 40 mile drive, something you aren't used to if you are from Ohio like us.

NotyetMHCowner
11-25-2014, 03:41 AM
That's good to know. I only grabbed Fishing Bridge because it was available at the time. I can cancel without fee if we find a better place. We probably wont be on the west side much except to see old faithful. We wanted to be somewhere centrally located as much as possible then drive from there to different sites. We would rather stay about 2 days at the south side and visit things around there, then 2 days or so more north or east and visit things there as well. We are still in the planning stages though, lol. We have to get a camper first!!

Onthemove
11-25-2014, 10:56 AM
We have been to Yellowstone many times and we have always stayed at West Yellowstone Montana at the Grizzly RV Park. It is a half mile from the West entrance of Yellowstone. The Park has full hook up and you can walk to town from the Park.

rschad
11-25-2014, 11:16 AM
There are several other rv parks near west yellowstone. the KOA is a couple miles west and there is another nice park a mile or so further west. All have full hook ups and are quite nice. Easy drive to the park.

buckeyebobhockingcamper
11-25-2014, 06:53 PM
grizzly rv park would be my choice,in west yellowstone montana!!!

kampfitt
11-26-2014, 06:47 AM
We have been to Yellowstone twice. Were you stay depends on what you want to do while you're there. We went To see animals, Fishing Bridge is great , Indian Pond area Bears, Elk , saw 2 Wolves. Lamar Valley, Canyon Village, area Wolves, Bears, Elk. Spent 5 days there and was spotting animals every day! Saw this Bear 2 miles east of Fishing Bridge!! Watched him for over 4 hrs!
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_152795_0_b256539c9ffcdf7c34142f2adcc8af92.jpg (http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/kampfitt/media/DSCN9668.jpg.html)
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_152795_1_344acde28797a2ea26a8d8fc0d306f0c.jpg (http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/kampfitt/media/DSCN9772.jpg.html)

NotyetMHCowner
11-26-2014, 06:50 AM
We just realized that Sturgis is the week we were planning on going through South Dakota and seeing Mount Rushmore, so that is OUT now!. haha. We will either stay longer at Yellowstone, The Grand Tetons, or get into Utah a little.

gearhead
11-26-2014, 04:52 PM
Maybe here at Grand Tetons:?
http://www.gtlc.com/lodging/colter-bay-village-rv-park.aspx

ChuckS
11-30-2014, 07:30 AM
I also have stayed at Grizzly RV.. We like the fact that we can ride our bikes into town..2 blocks, shop, get some ice cream, etc.. The drive into the park from West entrance is great and we always try to get in a little early to beat the rush..

Stayed there twice.. We do love to boon dock but after looking at several CG in YNP my 36 foot 5er is just too tight for my comfort. Plus you just can't beat Grizzly RV for all the creature comforts
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/30/d80a20b7c64cf8dbeb11760cca1730dd.jpg

Momma and her 3 cubs
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hankaye
11-30-2014, 09:39 AM
NotyetMHCowner, Howdy;

Rascal and I spent a week here
http://www.campfirelodgewestyellowstone.com/West-Yellowstone-rv-trailer-park.asp
last June. It's about 15 or so miles outside of West Yellowstone, but
right along the Madison River.

hankaye

gearhead
12-03-2014, 12:38 PM
You might look at Red Rock Campground in Island Park Idaho.Its 20miles from the west entrance.Very nice place...

Tim

If you have stayed here, how did the side by side arrangement work? Looks like one side gets a lot of room and the side can't open their awning.

airforceret
12-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Yellowstone: We always stay in West Yellowstone and believe it allows the best home base for seeing the park and surrounding area, but no doubt if wildlife is your thing Fishing Bridge will likely not disappoint you. Having a dog we were always concerned about the bears in early spring there. We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone.

Denver Area: We like Dakota Ridge in Golden, Colorado. We've stayed there several times and never disappointed.

St Louis Area: Sundemeier in St Charles or 370 Campground in St Peters would be my choices. We've stayed in both and would recommend either one of them.

bsmith0404
12-09-2014, 12:11 PM
We really like Flagg Ranch RV park. Close to the park entrance and great scenery from the Grand Tetons. They also have a nice horseback riding tour as well as a nice store and restaurant. Some of the sites can be a little tight with slides, but if you let them know what you have, they can get you set up nicely. They also have some nice hiking trails for a relaxing morning stroll or walking the dog. 50 amp full hookup service.

As for Rushmore area, We like staying at Big Pine in Custer. Convenient, but far enough out of town and off the road to be very quiet.

koko
12-09-2014, 12:26 PM
We like both Flagg Ranch and the KOA in West Yellowstone. Both are close to entrances. To plan where you'll camp based on the animals you'll see, don't. We live in Wyoming and can't tell you how many times we've been there over the past 35 years - at every time of the year, including winter. Sometimes you see lots of wildlife, sometimes not. Wildlife is everywhere in the park. We've only seen bear two or three times. But the park is absolutely awesome regardless.

Hometown
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
We stayed at Flagg Ranch last summer and had a great time. Spots are a little close but you need to tell them what you need as far as length and then they can guide you to reserving the right spot. They have a nice store/fuel station there and a restaurant for other dining choices. If you are going to spend time in both parks this might be your best choice since it is on the south side of Yellowstone and the North side in the Teton Range. We did more hiking and activites in the Teton Park but it was nice to just drive up to Yellowstone for day or two of sights.

NotyetMHCowner
03-23-2015, 10:29 AM
We are now thinking of camping at Jackson Hole for two nights then on to Grizzly RV park. Is there any other good campgrounds around Jackson Hole that are not $100 night? Haha. It looks nice but real pricey.

koko
03-23-2015, 12:53 PM
There's a KOA right on the Snake River outside of Jackson but very busy in the summer. You'd have to check on price when you'll be there but usually about $65.

moniteaufarm
03-23-2015, 05:59 PM
we spent 4 days in YS last June. Stayed in Mammoth Springs cg - a first come first served cg. we had a 26ft tt, but plenty of room in the sites. All pull throughs, no services. Like others have said, you will be out driving through the park all day, so not in your rig all that much. We liked how the sites at Mammoth were so well spaced out and private. There were much larger trailers than ours there. Key to getting into the cg's that don't take reservations is to go early. We got there on a Tuesday at 1:00p. and got one of the last spots available.

NotyetMHCowner
07-21-2015, 07:52 AM
Well we are leaving tomorrow afternoon. We are stopping a few places along the way (St. Louis, Omaha Zoo, and Jackson). We are staying at Grizzly RV park for 5+ days then coming back through the north. We are stopping in Minneapolis for 3 days to visit the Mall of America on the way back. We are excited and nervous and the same time. Woo Hoo!

koko
07-21-2015, 09:41 AM
Be sure to see the St. Louis zoo. One of the best there is. And of course the Arch.

tgpilot
08-16-2015, 08:08 PM
If you have not already gone, Coulters Bay in Teton NP adjoining Yellowstone has full hook ups plus an overflow site that you will need to rough it in with a genset and tanks.

Also, try W. Yellowstone, they have a lot of commercial RV parks, but we liked Bakers Hole three miles North of town. They have 50 amp elect at 33 of the 73 sires that they have, other wise you will need a generator. For $22.00 a night with elect and a access pass it's one of the greatest bargains around, take lots of food with you. The town prices are sky high. We stayed a week and loved it.

Go to the Grizzly/Wolf expo and the IMAX while there. Your just outside the park there and 20 miles from Old faithful.

tgpilot
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
There is a nice CG just 12 miles from Jackson Hole, can't think of the town name right now but they are $27.00 a night first come sites only.

NotyetMHCowner
08-17-2015, 08:17 AM
What an awesome trip. We stopped at the arch in St. Louis and their city museum (one of the most interesting things we have seen). Then the Omaha Zoo. They are rebuilding about a third of the zoo and it will be amazing when they are finished sometime in 2016. Then a couple of KOA's along the way and then stayed at the Virginian Lodge in Jackson, Wy. Great place right in town and very close to the Grand Teton National Park. We stayed at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone. Very clean and well taken care of park. Just cant have campfires. Its just not camping without campfires. We left through the north across Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota. We stayed 3 nights at Lebanon Hills park campground just about 15 minutes from Mall of America. Then to Condits Ranch in Illinois (too far off the interstate) and Jellystone campground north of Louisville Ky.

We tried to stay at Colter Bay but they did not have a spot.

The truck did great without any problems at all. The front jacks acted up on the first night, but only one more time after that. The fridge crapped out on the last day, but is working again now at home.

The weather was perfect the whole time. Jackson got down to 31 both nights and highs of mid to upper 60's. Yellowstone started out 40's for lows and 70's for highs then mid 80's when we left. Very little rain the whole trip except for the last 2 days. Very hot in Montana. It was 95 the day we stayed in Miles City but was 100 2 days earlier.

We did visit the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. It is a must visit. Saw hundreds of Bison and Elk and some other critters. No bears or wolves in the park. The road from the Norris junction up to Mammoth Springs is under construction so there was usually a 20 minute wait to pass through as it is down to one way at a time. The road is tore up, bumpy, and dusty/muddy.

Averaged 10 mpg for the whole trip. Ran 65 to 70 there and 75 (sometimes 80) on the way back with a mixture of bio diesel at times.

Awesome trip!!

Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

tgpilot
08-17-2015, 11:13 AM
We were there in July just before you. They had the construction then. We did see five grizzly bears in two days while there. We spent a week in Bakers Hole, a much nicer park and cheaper place to stay then Grizzly RV at $22.00 a night. Even had our Direct TV while there. And, it was only three miles out of town.

W. Yellowstone is a high dollar town, even McDonalds is two to three times a normal MD. A pizza place was $30.00 plus when the same things were about 15-18 dollars elsewhere.

Other than that, it's a nice town.

NotyetMHCowner
08-17-2015, 11:27 AM
You've got that right about McDonald's. I went through the drive thru the first morning to get enough biscuits for a few days.i ordered 10 sausage biscuits and the subtotal on the screen showed 34.99! They couldn't hardly understand me so I went inside. I asked if sausage biscuits were $3.49 each and she said yes. I said really? And turned around and left. At home, they are usually 2 for $1.50, sometimes $1.89. That's ridiculous. We enjoyed being close to the park though and my girls said that was the nicest bathhouse they had ever seen.