PDA

View Full Version : TT vs 5W

itsb
11-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Ive camped all my life,had TTs,5Ws,MHs you name it,in 4-5 years we hope to try fulltimin or mosttimin,we currently have a 5W whitch is for sale ! we want to go back to a TT,every time I buy a 5W we regret it,(don't like the steps) and we haven't went so big that we have the full stand up bed room ! Anty way,most do 5W for fulltime,why not have all on the same level ? I know a lot will say they pull better but I don't mind doin the bumper pull,so what you say, thanks bob

Javi
11-23-2014, 05:51 PM
Its all a matter of perception, I love the room of a 5'er and really doubt we'll ever go back to a TT. But then our 5'er is a midsize 38 footer. I know we'll never go back to a smaller trailer.

My in-laws finally pulled the plug and sold their trailer this fall as my FIL just couldn't handle the driving anymore, and they never owned a 5'er and the largest TT they had was the last a 28ft. They never wanted anything more.

gearhead
11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
We've had everything but a TT. I sometimes think for what we have in the truck and 5th, we could have a diesel pusher. But I would have a truck anyway.
But...there are circumstances I think a TT would work. If I was still hunting, I could put a ATV in the truck bed, etc....

chuckster57
11-23-2014, 06:24 PM
I have only owned/towed fivers, but I work on every type. If you put a bumper pull and fiver next to each other and the same length, the fiver will have more storage. The fiver will have more living space since the first 4-6 feet isn't taken up with hitch and propane cylinders.

As far as the steps up to the bedroom, I believe there is some rear master models out there. My first fifth wheel has a low ceiling in the bedroom, but my last 3 including current rig allow me to stand tall and I am 6' 1" tall.

It come down to what your more comfortable with, if it was me going FT, I would go fiver over bumper pull any day.

ncgrl1
11-24-2014, 05:55 AM
I know its just a matter of perception, but I think the tall ceiling in the living area of a 5th wheel tends to let you feel less cramped up, especially if your staying inside a lot. Maybe I'm just claustrophobic but I just feel better in the taller, more open area...

GaryWT
11-24-2014, 06:59 AM
Our TT has a curved ceiling and is very roomy. It tows easy and backs pretty good. We like it a lot and have no plans to upgrade to a 5er. We have looked at 5ers and although nice, my wife feels that with the high ceiling, most cabinets are too high for her so she does not want one. She refuses to drag around a step stool to get to things that she needs. When/if we upgrade, we will most likely look for a rear bath to get a larger bathroom but it must have the outside kitchen as I will not give that up.

itsb
11-24-2014, 07:49 AM
hey thanks everyone
ya said park side by side and ya get more storage with the 5w the same size cause of the toung.well lets forget about the toung and just go off of body length !
then you got the basement in your 5ws,so between the two is that where all the difference is.
I do realize that it is each to there own but,I just need someone to talk me into a bigger 5w I guess(tx) bob

ncgrl1
11-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Our TT has a curved ceiling and is very roomy. It tows easy and backs pretty good. We like it a lot and have no plans to upgrade to a 5er. We have looked at 5ers and although nice, my wife feels that with the high ceiling, most cabinets are too high for her so she does not want one. She refuses to drag around a step stool to get to things that she needs. When/if we upgrade, we will most likely look for a rear bath to get a larger bathroom but it must have the outside kitchen as I will not give that up.

I could see where the curved ceiling would make a difference. That sounds nice!

GaryWT
11-24-2014, 11:16 AM
I could see where the curved ceiling would make a difference. That sounds nice!

It is nice, one thing I like is the cling is high enough that we do not need the skylight bubble in the shower and actually have the vent/fan in the shower.

larry337
11-24-2014, 11:34 AM
hey thanks everyone
ya said park side by side and ya get more storage with the 5w the same size cause of the toung.well lets forget about the toung and just go off of body length !
then you got the basement in your 5ws,so between the two is that where all the difference is.
I do realize that it is each to there own but,I just need someone to talk me into a bigger 5w I guess(tx) bob

We just ordered our first fiver after three TT's. Some of the reasons why: More storage, now I can leave a lot of items in the basement storage that I used to haul in the bed of my truck. Grill, lawn chairs, folding table, corn hole boards etc. This means less packing and unpacking for a trip. Bigger fridge, we went from 6 cf to 12 cf. Now there will be times we dont even need a cooler. Easier hookup and unhook, no WD bars or safety chains. Better towing, nicer ride. More room, 38 feet of living space is not common or practical in a TT, except maybe a park model. Only con I see is how much they cost but you get what you pay for. If you're happy with a TT then stick with one. To each his own! :)

Scttw
11-25-2014, 04:28 AM
It's funny no one mentioned "Trim-Levels". The higher end TT's can not compete with a 5th wheel for luxury and trim. You're gonna pay for it though ;)

Vet4jdc
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
For us, it was all about outside storage. We had a TT before and hated the small amount of outside storage. We were constantly putting half of our stuff inside the camper. When we purchased our fifth wheel, we looked at the amount of basement storage so that we can sto the outside stuff.....outside.

Desert185
12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
We've done tents, popup camper, Fourwheel popup in the pickup bed, motorhome, camped with an airplane and a motorcycle and now a 5er. We wanted to haul quads or a motorcycle and have our pickup rather than tow another vehicle. A TT toyhauler was too long, and I didn't want to tow a big TT or a Fusion/Razor. So the SRX toy hauler was the best solution. The 326SRX is just about perfect for our needs. Would I change a few things? Yes, but nothing major, so we can live with it and happily.

msp2jxr
12-03-2014, 08:59 AM
My experience taught me once you get everything moving down the road the mileage is about the same because its really about breaking the wind that pulls your mileage down. So with that thought process in place, go big! I have friends with smaller and larger trailers than mine and we all get between 9-11 mpg. Yes, stop and go driving with a bigger trailer will cost you more to move but I usually don't drive a trailer through rush hour if I can avoid it. Eventually we all seem to end up with a trailer that is as big as our tow vehicle will pull. Just my 2 cents.... Everyone enjoy the camping when you can....

bsmith0404
12-03-2014, 09:31 AM
Drop frame basement storage on a fiver can't be beat. We keep all of our camping gear loaded year round. All I have to do to get ready to go is turn the fridge on. I swear the basement storage has as much space as some pop ups. Okay a little bit of an exaggeration

GmaPaTime
12-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Not that much of exaggeration "bsmith0404". :)

buckeyebobhockingcamper
12-04-2014, 04:04 AM
the pulling experience alone would sway me toward a fifth wheel.they just pull better,easier hookup,tt is cheaper,more room in truck bed,fine for closer weekend camping.but for heavy camping/travel,and a sway free ride i would recomend a fifth wheel

christopherglenn
12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
On a TT the box starts ~4 feet behind the TV's rear bumper, a 5er box starts 4-5 feet in front of it. Overall bumper to bumper attached length a 40' 5er is about as long as a 32 foot TT. My 40' TH has far more storage then my old 31' bunkhouse TT, sleeps more people, onboard genset, 50% more propane, much larger living space, high ceilings in most of the trailer, ~6.6' in the bedroom, 2 bathrooms. Instead of 6' of bunkhouse with no real other use, I have 12' of garage - playroom by day bedroom with bunks by night. Massive storage ~2600 lb payload (I loose a kid to college this summer) - the 8x12 is over 2 times the bed space in the truck- I still have over 3/4 of the bed available for firewood, tool box, ETC. Other then the cost, the only real downside is a loss of 1.5 mpg towing.

denverpilot
12-11-2014, 09:48 PM
... the mileage is about the same because its really about breaking the wind that pulls your mileage down.

Insert joke about "gas mileage" and "breaking wind"... Here. ;)

As for the original question, we've done pop ups, bumper tow, and now the 5er, and I'd go with a 5er for storage and space always now with only one exception.

If someone who'll be camping has significant problems with stairs, go bumper tow. The entrance steps are bad enough, don't subject them to steps to get up to the bedroom.

For now, we're both happy stair climbing young whippersnappers, so 5er it is!

Ram189
12-12-2014, 01:27 PM
I love the 5th wheel.

Like someone else said. Hook and go. I can have my 5er hooked up and ready to go by the time my wife gets our 8 year old situated.
Unhooking and getting leveled up went from a 30 minute job to a 5 minute project by myself and 2 minutes if my wife moves the truck for me.

Pulling down the road is great because of the no sway option.

By far best decision I made was going with a 5th wheel.

rhagfo
12-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Drop frame basement storage on a fiver can't be beat. We keep all of our camping gear loaded year round. All I have to do to get ready to go is turn the fridge on. I swear the basement storage has as much space as some pop ups. Okay a little bit of an exaggeration

X2!
Many talk about the loss of the truck bed for storage, well the basement makes up for this AND it is always loaded!!

We have made the decision to go out for a weekend, on Friday morning, while I was at work. got out early at 2:15 4 miles home, load DW Hitch, air rear tires, tote of food from home refer and cabinets, and the dogs. headed to storage lot, 4 more miles fire up refer (it was October), hooked up and we were pulling out of the yard at 3:30 one hour and 15 minutes from walking out from work!

buzzcop63
12-12-2014, 10:23 PM
Spent some six years dreaming about RVing, going to every RV show that came to town, subscribed to two RV magazines, checked out books from the library. Also visited dealers of all types of RV's and set my dreams as follows: First choice a 32' A class Itasca or Winnebago, 2nd a 29' C class, third a 29' Cougar 5th wheel and last a TT. The retirement came and the wife said OK lets try RVing. Reality sets in, do not want to go in debt or use up too big of a chunk of our 401K, and wife and I both want to have new equipment to start with.

So our choice, 27' Cougar TT, comparative low cost, best resale value, tow with 1/2 ton truck as the truck will be our day to day vehicle. The A and C class new are just too much money and worry about keeping up another complex vehicle. The 5th wheel is too heavy for 1/2 ton and more expensive by several thousand dollars and the TT fit the two of us perfectly. Three seasons have passed and the trailer and truck for the two of us have been our salvation after a devastating personal loss. So the bottom line is find what works for you and hit the road. There is no wrong answer!

GmaPaTime
12-13-2014, 04:24 AM
Spot On.... buzzcop63:)

Lee
12-14-2014, 09:00 AM
Hi,
Excellent thread! Basically it comes down to the type of camping you plan on doing (long distance/short distance, full time/short trips, number of campers, climate, etc.)

For me up here in the Great North-Wet. I exclusively dry camp up in the Mountains. A covered pickup bed is a must or else everything gets soaking wet. Also length is a concern as I have to put the TT in some tight locations. My TV is not my DD so, I keep the covered bed packed year round with all my "camping stuff": 5500W generator, chain saw, tools, table, chairs, fuel cans, water cans, spare tire, winch etc..

There are Pro's and Con's for each style RV, for us based on our style of camping and our location a TT is the answer.

Happy camping!

theeyres
12-14-2014, 08:28 PM
I think the storage thing in a 5er is greatly overrated. Sure there is much more room in basement BUT there is no room in the truck. When we started full-timing we had a trailer with a canopy on the truck bed. We carried two bikes and about 10 large plastic storage bins plus all the kayak gear. There were two kayaks on top the canopy. Try to do that with a 5er. It can be done but with a lot of work.

That said, when we quit kayaking we got a 5er because of the spacious feeling of the interior. It felt much more homelike. And my wife loved the stairs and bedroom because she goes to bed much sooner that me and loved the separation that you don't get in a trailer.

But now that we are off the road we sold the 5er and got a small trailer because it's so much easier getting into small cg's, parking, backing up, etc.

So what am I saying? It's all up to you. Personally, when properly loaded and with the right equalizing system the trailer may not tow as well as the 5er but it's close and that wouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't mind towing either one.
Get what you want.

notanlines
12-15-2014, 04:03 AM
Dittos to what was said earlier, except what Earl said about Kayaks. Closest I ever came to drowning in 18" of water was my first and last experience in a kayak. Girly-man Jim just leaves them alone! The best of all the statements is "Get what you want." Maybe you can't afford a new "whatever you want" but if you look long and hard there will be a deal out there.

hankaye
12-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Howdy All;

I've lived in both, first was a TT and now a 5er. As has been said,
both have their pluses and minuses.
* What storage I had inside with the TT is now in the basement.
* The 5er has more steps, to get inside and to migrate from the living
area to the sleeping area as well.
* Head room and a lack of a slide-out space created a "Torpedo tyeube"
feeling, and the 5er has a more open feel to it (more head space and a
slide).
Just a few thoughts from my point of view and the above is my opinion.
Each has to make their own decision, but to do so, there is a lot of research
to do.

hankaye