PDA

View Full Version : 4 pt. auto leveling

JohnD
11-23-2014, 07:00 AM
Picking up our 337 in a couple of months. Have not had a self leveling system until now but just how sturdy is it? I have read where it may take a wheel or two slightly off the ground, what about wheel chocking? Is there a need for any extra stabilizing?

Javi
11-23-2014, 07:06 AM
I've got it on my new Cougar 333MKS and its the best thing since sliced bread..

Push a button and stand back... I chock front and back of the high side wheels with industrial sized rubber chocks, not them little plastic ones.

chuckster57
11-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Depending on how much travel each jack has, it is possible that one or more wheel may come off the ground. Trick is to park it fairly level to start with. Once set, they are very sturdy.

GmaPaTime
11-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Agree with both you guys. Makes setting up that much easier. :)
As Chuckster states though it helps to get trailer semi level side to side if way out. My second time out I learned that as the level system could not complete.

Ram189
11-23-2014, 08:55 AM
I have had mine out 8 times this year and all but one were boondocking. I only had one place I could not get it level because I could not get the front down far enough for it to level itself.
When you get parked it will tell you which side is low so you can try and run the tires up on blocks to make it side to side level and not lift the tires off the ground.
I use the XChocks and have found that once it gets leveled up I need to tighten it up because it will tend to float the wheels enough and unloads the suspension that it makes it loose.

gearhead
11-23-2014, 04:47 PM
It's great. But I'm dreading when it breaks.......

Javi
11-23-2014, 05:02 PM
It's great. But I'm dreading when it breaks.......

Hush....:D

larry337
11-23-2014, 05:21 PM
We'll be picking ours up on Dec 15th and I was wondering the same thing. Do you guys think it eliminates the need for JT strong arms for example?

Javi
11-23-2014, 05:26 PM
We'll be picking ours up on Dec 15th and I was wondering the same thing. Do you guys think it eliminates the need for JT strong arms for example?

Some folks might still need them but the DW and I don't. There isn't much movement at all in our trailer.

larry337
11-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Some folks might still need them but the DW and I don't. There isn't much movement at all in our trailer.
Good to know. So far I'm "fairly" tolerant of camper shaking in a TT. It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others on forums I read. But I have heard it may be worse in a fiver so I wasn't sure.

Bar-OneRanch
11-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Our trailer came with the strong arms on the front as part of the package, I was going to see about getting ones for the rear but it hasn't seemed to need them yet. We only made it out twice since we got the trailer, but my kids are 22 & 20 and don't know how to walk softly, we don't notice much movement at all. I have x-chocks from my old trailer and haven't even used them yet, we love the level-up, wish we could have afforded it earlier.
Chris

JohnD
11-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Sounds like I won't be loading up the planks and blocks this spring, works for me(tx)

Ram189
11-24-2014, 12:03 PM
I am thinking about adding the JT's to mine. Not as bad as the TT but still there.
Don't completely abandon the blocks and planks. I still find I need them from time to time. When boondocking I use them to put under the legs when in the grass and gravel.
I use the plastic blocks more than wood but I keep 6 - 8 wood blocks just in case.

AGYOUNG
11-24-2014, 09:58 PM
I also have a 337 with the automatic leveling. My home base driveway is sloped downwards and when I park the front legs are about 12" longer than in the back. The system is totally strong and yes powerful enough to lift the tires off the ground. I know cause I had a stuck chock and tht only was I could pull it out was to lift the wheels. Worked like a champ.

I don't think it would be good to try to change a tire but it's powerful as all get out. I love it!!!!

msp2jxr
11-25-2014, 11:50 AM
I have the leveling system on our 337FLS and I am going to install the steady fast on the front gear. When the trailer nose starts out low and has to raise its self up very high I notice the trailer will have some shake when we walk in the living room. Since ours is a front living room so we are frequently in the front of the trailer. I took our steady Fast off the old trailer so I have it anyway.

Furb
12-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Love it. We did have some seals replaced on our 2012 when we first got it. It will lift wheels off the ground.

Zman81
12-08-2014, 03:41 PM
We have a 15 cougar 313rli hc 5'er with the the level up to and have to agree it make life easy. Have to agree the the tolerances between the front landing gear tubes is just enough to create shakes. DW was sleeping after work one day and said me coming in and out made the trailer shake pretty good. So I have purchase the JT's and when spring time comes they will be installed. Does anyone know if the rear JT's could be mounted to rear level up jacks. I don't have scissor stabalizers on mine to apply them too.

Citadel2005
12-17-2014, 06:55 AM
My 28SGS is currently in the shop for another siding issue...but, do y'all know who makes the leveling system. I am going to see if I can find a youtube video of it. My leveling system keeps erroring out when I extend the jacks. The dealership called and told me that I would have to reset the system if the legs extend to far out.

cblong
12-17-2014, 07:03 AM
lippert components
https://lci1.com

Dutch & Di
12-19-2014, 08:14 PM
If interior movement doesn't bother you, you probably don't need permanently installed aftermarket stabilizers.
We had our stabilizers on before we bought the Big Foot system. While it will help eliminate some movement, it is meant for leveling. After our BF install was complete and we walked around inside & we put our stabilizers back on.
That said, we are fulltimers and I spend a lot of time inside the 5th wheel so the movement definitely bothered me. Hugs, Di

Good to know. So far I'm "fairly" tolerant of camper shaking in a TT. It doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others on forums I read. But I have heard it may be worse in a fiver so I wasn't sure.