PDA

View Full Version : No Hot Water

Smitty43
11-20-2014, 02:31 AM
I need some help quick! This morning everything was fine hot water was running great like always. Came home this afternoon and I have water running out of the cold side of the faucets but when I move the handle to the hot side no water comes out. This is happening at every outlet in the RV. The only thing I did today was take both propane tanks out to refill, like I have done for three years. I don't understand what has happened to cause this problem. Looking for any input before I take the water heater out. I opened the relief valve and hot water come out. This has me stumped. Also if I have to take the unit out do I just remove the sealant from around the unit and pull it out?---Smitty

JRTJH
11-20-2014, 03:16 AM
Not sure if you were subjected to freezing temps yesterday or not, if so, you could have a frozen line from the hot water side of the tank running through the underbelly or even inside your RV along the wall behind some cabinets. If there are no frozen lines, then check out the backflow valve at the top outlet of the HWH. Chances are it has "crusted in" and stuck in the closed position.

This is assuming you haven't winterized or turned the bypass valve on the back of the water heater.

As a "quick fix" you can use a screw driver to knock out the "innerds" of the backflow valve until you order a new one, or if you want to eliminate the "cold flash" when showering, you can install the 3 valve winterization system behind the HWH and completely eliminate the requirement for the backflow valve.

Good Luck.

Smitty43
11-20-2014, 03:55 AM
John, any idea how to get to the top of water heater tank, do I go into the cargo hole and remove that bulkhead

JRTJH
11-20-2014, 04:05 AM
Smitty,

I'm not absolutely sure on your model, but yes, it's the top water connection on the rear of the HWH. I'd guess there is a panel that you need to remove in the pass through. That's the way it is on mine. It should be the same access you use to get to the bypass valve to winterize the HWH.

There should be a plastic connector screwed into the outlet at the top of the HWH, that's the one way valve. Sometimes there's enough PEX to remove it and reconnect with a 1/2" nipple, but sometimes there's not enough "stretch" in the PEX.

Don't expect to just remove the one way valve and reconnect as a permanent fix, but it will get you hot water temporarily until you decide what to do as for the 3 way bypass or just install a replacement one way valve.

Good Luck

Smitty43
11-20-2014, 04:08 AM
Thanks John you have been most helpful.--Smitty

Smitty43
11-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Got the problem fixed, John it was the check valve. But what I found when I took the panel off to look at the backside of the water heater would make you want to choke the guys who put these trailers together. The duct work for the furnace that goes to the living area was wedged between the wiring bundle and converter make it flat as a pancake, no wonder we were not getting any heat out of the outlets. They had to know that is was squashed flat but didn't care. They mounted the converter in a place that makes it very difficult to replace, instead of putting it about a foot over so you could reach it. I am very disappointed in Keystone for their lack of quality control.---Smitty

Festus2
11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
Smitty -
I somehow think that squashed, loose-fitting, or punctured ductwork is more common than not. Glad to hear that your problem was resolved and that you are in "hot water" once again.