PDA

View Full Version : Propane tanks stolen - Again

rosede
11-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Last spring, when I was first getting ready for the camping season, I realized that someone stole one of my LP tanks. It appears that they took one, emptied it, returned it and then took the second one. So, I had to purchase a new tank and fill them both.

Another member on this board suggested using Masterlock Python cable/lock to secure my tanks. I purchased two 6' cable and locks and secured my tanks thinking that they would be a deterrent. My thoughts were; the thief would see them chained down and move on to an unsecured pair of tanks.

Well, my thinking was wrong. The thieves did not cut the cable, rather they cut the handles on the tanks. When I first arrived at the storage lot, I noticed the the Masterlock Pythons hanging down on the ground. I removed the cover and saw that they initially tried to cut through the platform that the tanks sit on and squeeze one of the cables through the cut. However, it got stuck and they couldn't get it through. So, they had to have cut the handle and squeeze the cable through that cut.

This tells me that this is someone who has access to the storage lot, a vehicle and tools.

I considered going to the owner of the lot, but I know what he'll tell me; I should have removed the tanks for the winter and kept them at home. I once went to him about a suspicious person that I saw driving around in the lot. Gave him the date, time, make/model of the vehicle and he just wasn't interested. Unless I saw him in the act of committing a crime, he wasn't going to review the security tapes. I know others who keep their campers there have had similar complaints about him.

Its time to find a new storage lot, but now is not a good time to do so and there are very few storage lots in my area. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to move out.

Daryl

chuckster57
11-13-2014, 06:55 AM
Sorry to hear you got hit again. There is no lower scum than a thief in my book. I hope you find a better place soon.

JRTJH
11-13-2014, 07:00 AM
The emotional vulnerability caused by thieves is very frustrating. As for finding another place to store your RV, there's never a better time to start looking and simply move it ASAP! Remember, you only need one space, somewhere else!!!!

Good Luck,

bg71361
11-13-2014, 07:00 AM
Yes definitely time to find a new storage lot, bu i would definitely bring it to the owners attention.

SAABDOCTOR
11-13-2014, 07:10 AM
Makes you wonder how much the owners cut is on the stuff that gets stolen is.

rosede
11-13-2014, 07:35 AM
When I moved first moved in two years ago, he told me that he has had vandalism. Campers have been broken into and items stolen. There are some apartments next door to the storage lot. He pointed the blame at them.

He has a 12' wooden fence topped with a double row of barbwire. Also, a camera pointed right at the fence. For the longest time, the barbwire had been cut, and the cable to the camera had also been cut. I noticed that he finally fixed both sometime this summer. When I first discovered the tanks missing, I immediately looked at the fence and camera. Both were intact. Again, this tells me that someone has access, a vehicle and tools.

I won't go so far a to say that he is on the take, but rather just lazy.

Daryl

JRTJH
11-13-2014, 07:37 AM

I thought the same thing, Barney. With his refusal to even look at the security tapes, makes you wonder if he might have "done the deed" himself and now that it's over, he's safe and secure with "erased security tapes". Hmmmmm This might be a good time for a small, well concealed "game camera" hidden across from the OP's trailer. He may be very surprised by what he captures on his discrete camera footage.

rosede
11-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Oh, one other thing.

I noticed that they looked at my spare tire. They removed the cover and haphazardly put it back on. I looked at a couple of other campers in the lot and noticed that they had also looked at those spares as well. One guy even has covers over the regular tires and they pulled those off and looked the those tires. Guess their looking for a specific tire.

Daryl

notanlines
11-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Daryl, in my opinion the thieves are way, way too comfortable in that storage lot. At first I thought maybe those members insinuating the owner was "in on it" were mistaken, but I'm beginning to think that he/she at least looks the other way. I would immediately be on the move towards a new site.

Ram189
11-13-2014, 08:17 AM
To cut the handles on a propane tank is not an easy or quiet endeavor.

I would think at least 10 or 20 minutes of work by hand or a grinder with a lot of sparks and noise involved.

I would definitely be on the move to another location of no one saw or heard anything. Funny how the only camera points at the fence like that does any good for the rest of the lot.

byrdr1
11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Thanks above that I can store my camper at my house less than 35-40 from my front door or back door or basement door.
And I am about to go video on my carports and RvPort. House is already wired.
some technology is wonderful.
That blows on your tanks, I have left my camper stored at the beach for 20 or so days. NOW this has me antsy..ITs in locked storage yard on the back side of a private campground.

randy

rosede
11-13-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks above that I can store my camper at my house less than 35-40 from my front door or back door or basement door.

I wish that I had that option. My neighborhood does not allow it.

Daryl

BirchyBoy
11-13-2014, 08:42 AM
I wish that I had that option. My neighborhood does not allow it.

Daryl

That is one downside to being in an HOA. Mine doesn't allow "work" trucks or campers. They let the "work" trucks slide but not campers :(

rosede
11-13-2014, 08:48 AM
That is one downside to being in an HOA. Mine doesn't allow "work" trucks or campers. They let the "work" trucks slide but not campers :(

You and I must live in the same neighborhood. :D We have the same rule, but for whatever reason, the work trucks get a pass, but the campers don't. I guess it's whomever screams the loudest. If no one screams about the work trucks, then they get the pass.

Daryl

Ram189
11-13-2014, 09:13 AM
I live in the city limits of Frederick, Md.

There is a city ordinance that came out after I bought my trailer that states you cannot park anything over 24' on city streets. The law technically states at all but the cops said they will give you 24 hours leaway. The neighbors that know about the law are on the HOA board and are not as easy going. They got me this summer and the cops had to come write me a warning ticket.

thewhitehat
11-13-2014, 09:17 AM
The fact of the matter is, there's hardly an RV storage lot that doesn't get "hit" once in a while, because of neighborhoods or businesses nearby. I was fortunate to find the place I store at because it is rural, way off the road, in fact , you can't see it from the road. There's also no sign advertizing the storage lot. What is more, there are no neighborhoods or busnesses nearby and the owners live on-site. Great place, with fences, electric gates with passcard, and good lighting. :D

azlee56
11-13-2014, 09:28 AM
That just sucks! I would tell the owner that you are making a police report (then watch his reaction). Then do it, if something is going on there might be several reports. Take a day off of work and find somewhere else to park before they go into your camper and rip stereos/tvs/etc out of it. They aren't that hard to get into.

GET EM

SAABDOCTOR
11-13-2014, 10:24 AM
john i like your idea of a small camera on the camper to catch the perp. i have worked in this gas station/service repair for 22 years. i have all ways tought inocent till proven otherwise. I have seen so pretty wild ways of stealing stuff from the gas pumpers ( we are full service) from money credit cards to stuff from cars all i can say is i hope the tank leaks and he blows his A&^% up!:banghead:

Desert185
11-13-2014, 10:26 AM
Sorry about your theft. I hate thieves.

My son's dirt bike was stolen years ago. Saw the kid do it and couldn't catch him. Called the cops and they found the kid (I identified him and he started crying), but they couldn't find the bike, so it was his crybaby word against mine. Never got the bike back.

I'm not sure we would have the trailer if I had to pay to store it someplace. I'm grateful I can can just walk outside and do things to it with power on it.

Ken / Claudia
11-13-2014, 12:03 PM
The owner of that lot is #1 lazy #2 stupid #3 involved but, for sure he really only wants your money and does not care about your stuff. I hope you called in a report about each theft and if not do it. Make sure you tell everyone you know who gets stuff stolen there to phone in a report. To secure his lot with good working cameras, fencing, locks helps but, it sound like he just does not care.
The game cameras are not to expensive now days. Get one. I used them for catching poachers both real high tech ones and cheap ones. They work, I even caught a ODOT worker who was stealing 15 -20 gallons of fuel from the police boats parked in their storage. After I found the pattern, it took 3 weekends to get the guy.

SAABDOCTOR
11-13-2014, 01:16 PM
ONE LAST THOUGHT. Put a dummy camera up that is easy to spot with the real one focused on the dummy. so when they cut the cable on the dummy you got them on the one they can't see. this has worked for me at my shop.:D

bmach
11-13-2014, 06:51 PM
First thieves should have a hand cut off.

But, let's remember they are around and will take anything that they want and can steal. Remove anything inside and outside your camper and they won't be able to steal it.

As for a camera, do you really think the police care at all about a propane tank, spare tire or battery? They have bigger things to worry about.

Even if caught what will happen to them, not much, most likely not even a slap on the wrist.

There was a new car lot near me that had tires stolen quite often, they used a generator and an electric impact wrench. The police got there twice but the thieves just ran and left their gear. I would bet they would just steal more tools and start over again.

I know I might sound harsh but that is the reality of today's world.

Hope you find a safer place.

wahoonc
11-13-2014, 07:04 PM
No way no how would I want to store a camper in a storage lot, especially one that has a crappy reputation.

My camper is stored right next to my back porch. We have had issues on our property in the past but not recently, we have a variety of cameras and "other" protection systems in place. We had an incident a year or so ago. Word has gotten around to the criminal element that there are some crazy *** white folks on that property:eek: :D

Pictures help, but the police have a lot more to worry about. The sheriff in our county has told residents that they are doing what they can about the drug and gang issues but the best bet is to arm themselves, because they can't be everywhere at once.

Aaron:cool:

JRTJH
11-13-2014, 07:26 PM
No way no how would I want to store a camper in a storage lot, especially one that has a crappy reputation.

My camper is stored right next to my back porch. We have had issues on our property in the past but not recently, we have a variety of cameras and "other" protection systems in place. We had an incident a year or so ago. Word has gotten around to the criminal element that there are some crazy *** white folks on that property:eek: :D

Pictures help, but the police have a lot more to worry about. The sheriff in our county has told residents that they are doing what they can about the drug and gang issues but the best bet is to arm themselves, because they can't be everywhere at once.

I can completely understand your frustration and disappointment in the people who violate your property, but depending on the laws in your state, arming yourself can escalate the situation to a point that you may find yourself in significantly more legal trouble than any thief who may steal from you. There is a big difference in protecting your family and protecting your property.

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about firearms, if it does, it will be an inappropriate route for the thread and it will be closed. Just think about the situation and how difficult it may become with the wrong choices.

gearhead
11-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Ahh....HOA's. I live in a small, maybe 50 house subdivision. We have the usual rules against boats and rv's parking in driveways. My bigger boat is in the garage and the smaller ones are in the backyard behind the privacy fence with the trailer.
The restriction "enforcer" lives across the street from me.....with a boat in his drive! But it's really OK, he has a circle drive of sorts on his corner lot.
Storing in an open lot sounds scary. But I have been looking for a cheap empty lot in the bad part of town to build a pole barn on.

JRTJH
11-13-2014, 08:12 PM
Gearhead,

When you do get that piece of property and build your pole barn, consider how big you need, then double the size. Locate it on the property in such a way that you can add onto it as well. I'm wishing I would have built at least twice the square footage and learning that adding on costs about 50% more than building initially.

wahoonc
11-14-2014, 03:03 AM
I can completely understand your frustration and disappointment in the people who violate your property, but depending on the laws in your state, arming yourself can escalate the situation to a point that you may find yourself in significantly more legal trouble than any thief who may steal from you. There is a big difference in protecting your family and protecting your property.

I don't want this to turn into a discussion about firearms, if it does, it will be an inappropriate route for the thread and it will be closed. Just think about the situation and how difficult it may become with the wrong choices.

North Carolina, Castle Doctrine...

We have a small farm, varmints come in many shapes and sizes.

bsmith0404
11-14-2014, 04:01 AM
I've always felt in this type of situation there is some money/time that is well spent. The lot has a security cameral, but unless you can tell the owner what day/time the event occurred it's not "worth" his time to review the footage to try to stop thieves from taking from his customers. He's more than happy to collect your money, but not do anything to help protect your investment. I'm sure he uses the fence and the security camera as an advertising pitch to lure other customers in.

I'd be spending some more money to take out a full page add in the newspaper advertising that thieves are targeting this storage lot and the owner is not doing anything to stop it. I'd go on the internet and write reviews on the lot so anyone else who may be considering using it will know. I'd also place flyers around town with pictures of propane tanks (like lost pet flyers) with information that they were stolen from your RV at said lot. You could even offer a reward for anyone with information leading to the recovery of them and the arrest of the thieves. Will the flyers do any good for actually getting your tanks back? Probably not, but it will get word out that the lot is not safe. Don't forget taking to the local news to see if they would be willing to do a story about a thief ring at RV storage facilities where the owners look the other way. That seems to be a big deal these days and they love that type of story. You may at least be able to cost the owner enough money to the point where he decides to try to find the thieves.

Finally, if the options for storage are that limited in your area, I'd be looking for some land and going into the storage lot business!

Shadowcats
11-14-2014, 06:59 AM
So sorry to hear about your damage and loss. Like others we keep our rig right next to the house, but even that doesn't always deter thieves. We have lost items from our drive and while parked on the street. The sad fact is that thieves have been around for thousands of years and will continue to be a part of our society. What really helps is vigilant and helpful people (friends, neighbors, etc) looking out for each other...Oh and lots of light. The emotional damage is always the worse - being violated stays with you and really makes you angry, but we get over it and life goes on. Hope you find new storage and some peace of mind.

audio1der
11-28-2014, 09:50 PM
Wow- that SUX.
I drilled a hole thru the rotating handle/wing nut which hold the tanks secure, down through the metal it fastens to. There is enough room for a padlock to fit through.
With the 3-pk of keyed alike padlocks I have 1 key for each of my batteries (bent, flat aluminum stock around each) and the LP tanks so this never happens. I don't trust my storage lot.

buckeyebobhockingcamper
11-29-2014, 04:28 AM
just got my camper back in my driveway along with new lock and new 32 inch tv!!!twice in one year had tv stolen at dealership.both times dealer replaced lock and tv!!!!how many dealers would do that>

ljp
11-29-2014, 06:17 AM
Propane or TV?

buckeyebobhockingcamper
11-29-2014, 02:56 PM
they pop the door lock,unscrew my tv and leave ,2 years in a row!!!!!never bothered the 19 inch in bedroom.stole 6 batterys

Way Of Life
11-30-2014, 02:23 PM
This may be an option if you are not entitled to park at home or you find yourself in an unsecured area.

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/security/fortress-gaslock

hankaye
12-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Howdy All;

This may be an option if you are not entitled to park at home or you find yourself in an unsecured area.

http://www.torklift.com/index.php/products/security/fortress-gaslock

Won't stop one of these, cut the arms on either side of the lock or if in a
hurry cut the vertical rod below the lock ... :eek:

hankaye

Richard6959
12-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Its probably his brother in-law. I wouldnt go to him again, and I definitely would find someplace new ASAP and not wait till Spring. If he's not interested in protecting my property, I wouldn't be interested in giving him my money.