PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' our 299BH.

mavagrand
11-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Wife and I have had our 2015 299BH out on several trips testing out all the systems and getting to know our new camper. We love it. Other then some minor cosmetic issues that were fixed at the dealer, LazyDays in Brandon, Florida, we've had no issues that I didn't create myself.
There are a few things that I find puzzling...why all the overhead light switches are inside the top cabinet of the entertainment system instead of on the wall by the front door? I don't know, took some getting used to but I'm dealing with it (just gotta remember to shut the cabinet door when done with the switches...ask me how I know). Also, why no ac vents in the master bedroom? I don't know...not a big deal for us we just leave the doors open. Speaking of the front door, it's on one of them hydraulic arms, you can't open it all the way and lock it against the camper. I used that a lot on my first camper, you could swing the door all the way open and get it out of the way.

Other than these annoyances we love the camper, everything has worked as designed and it is comfortable.

JRTJH
11-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Just some thoughts that may explain some of the questions you have:

1. The overhead light switches are usually on an inside wall or in an overhead cabinet because the outer walls are vacuum formed with rigid foam in them, To cut out a box to mount the switches could lead to condensation problems and should a wire go bad, there's no way to repair it without destroying some of the foam in the wall. So for future "ease of maintenance" usually there's no electrical connections in the walls if it can be avoided. That's one of the reasons many RV kitchens have outlets mounted under the cabinets rather than along the countertop.

2. Beats me why no A/C vents in the bedroom. I haven't been inside any RV's with ducted air that don't have vents in the bedroom. You might want to check another "same model" as yours and verify that there aren't vents in it either.... Hmmmmm

3. The main door on our Cougar also has a gas strut that holds the door open at a 90* angle. It won't open fully against the RV wall because the awning rails are in the way. On some RV's the furnace or hot water heater may be installed behind where the door would open. Check your RV to see if there is anything that would prevent you from installing an entry door holder. If there's nothing in the way, you can buy the hardware from almost any RV dealer's parts department. Installation is relatively easy, just make sure you have some kind of "framework" behind where you mount it so it's not supported by the fiberglass/aluminum siding only. That's a sure fire way to have a few extra holes in your trailer, the first time someone pulls on the door and the holder doesn't break first.

Hope these comments may help you understand a bit better.

Good Luck.

mavagrand
11-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Just some thoughts that may explain some of the questions you have:

1. The overhead light switches are usually on an inside wall or in an overhead cabinet because the outer walls are vacuum formed with rigid foam in them, To cut out a box to mount the switches could lead to condensation problems and should a wire go bad, there's no way to repair it without destroying some of the foam in the wall. So for future "ease of maintenance" usually there's no electrical connections in the walls if it can be avoided. That's one of the reasons many RV kitchens have outlets mounted under the cabinets rather than along the countertop.

2. Beats me why no A/C vents in the bedroom. I haven't been inside any RV's with ducted air that don't have vents in the bedroom. You might want to check another "same model" as yours and verify that there aren't vents in it either.... Hmmmmm

3. The main door on our Cougar also has a gas strut that holds the door open at a 90* angle. It won't open fully against the RV wall because the awning rails are in the way. On some RV's the furnace or hot water heater may be installed behind where the door would open. Check your RV to see if there is anything that would prevent you from installing an entry door holder. If there's nothing in the way, you can buy the hardware from almost any RV dealer's parts department. Installation is relatively easy, just make sure you have some kind of "framework" behind where you mount it so it's not supported by the fiberglass/aluminum siding only. That's a sure fire way to have a few extra holes in your trailer, the first time someone pulls on the door and the holder doesn't break first.

Hope these comments may help you understand a bit better.

Good Luck.

Good info. thank you.

maverick_415
11-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Hey MavaGrand, I have the same model. The bedroom is wired and ready for 2nd AC unit. The light switches bug me too. I had a non hydraulic door on my last TT and I like this one better.

I noticed that my bathroom sink drains into the black water tank. Have you noticed if yours does that too?

Wife and I have had our 2015 299BH out on several trips testing out all the systems and getting to know our new camper. We love it. Other then some minor cosmetic issues that were fixed at the dealer, LazyDays in Brandon, Florida, we've had no issues that I didn't create myself.
There are a few things that I find puzzling...why all the overhead light switches are inside the top cabinet of the entertainment system instead of on the wall by the front door? I don't know, took some getting used to but I'm dealing with it (just gotta remember to shut the cabinet door when done with the switches...ask me how I know). Also, why no ac vents in the master bedroom? I don't know...not a big deal for us we just leave the doors open. Speaking of the front door, it's on one of them hydraulic arms, you can't open it all the way and lock it against the camper. I used that a lot on my first camper, you could swing the door all the way open and get it out of the way.

Other than these annoyances we love the camper, everything has worked as designed and it is comfortable.

mavagrand
11-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Hey MavaGrand, I have the same model. The bedroom is wired and ready for 2nd AC unit. The light switches bug me too. I had a non hydraulic door on my last TT and I like this one better.

I noticed that my bathroom sink drains into the black water tank. Have you noticed if yours does that too?

Hello Maverick, I don't know which tank the bathroom sink drains into. How did you figure that out?

GaryWT
11-16-2014, 11:11 AM
First off, congrats and enjoy. Did not think we would like the door opening only to a 90 but after 2 years, not an issue and in fact kind of like it that way. Opens and stays open when your hands are full and easy to reach and close from inside. Good luck.

maverick_415
11-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Just turned on each faucet and pulled each valve until water came running out. I also called Keystone and they confirmed this is how they make them.

Hello Maverick, I don't know which tank the bathroom sink drains into. How did you figure that out?

notanlines
11-18-2014, 03:44 AM
Maverick, I'm pretty much blown away by the sink draining into the black water tank statement. I can't imagine why that would be. I promise the very first thing I'm going to do is check to see if our Raptor is rigged the same way. I don't suppose the factory explained the reasoning to you?

maverick_415
11-18-2014, 10:05 PM
Here is the e mail response I got from the CA Keystone sales rep: "This is by design. We have several models where this is the case based on locations of certain tanks. Having a bath lavy drain to a black tank does not cause issues as to where draining a kitchen sink lavy or shower would."

I also called factory and gave them my vin # and they looked up blue prints for my model and they make them all this way. Explanation is sink is right over black tank and helps break down solids in black tank. There is a p trap that keeps odors from coming up.

Maverick, I'm pretty much blown away by the sink draining into the black water tank statement. I can't imagine why that would be. I promise the very first thing I'm going to do is check to see if our Raptor is rigged the same way. I don't suppose the factory explained the reasoning to you?