PDA

View Full Version : Propane Tank (High Pitch Tone)

ljp
11-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Heard a high pitch tone that sounded as though it was emanating from the area of the propane tanks. Furnace was only item being used at this time. This tone was not constant and stopped after a few minutes. What could have caused this?

chuckster57
11-09-2014, 12:08 PM
I don't know the exact reason for it, but its not an issue to be concerned about. As long as you don't smell propane your good. I think it has something to do with the temperature of the propane and the demand.

scott24
11-09-2014, 04:33 PM
What was the outside temp? Make sure the valves are fully open on the LP tanks as well.

ljp
11-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Temp was in the 40's at the time the high pitch tone was heard and valve was open all the way. No odor of propane and nothing heard since my initial post.

ljp
11-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Also retired LE from CA and then ran a PI business for many years with my wife. Enjoy your retirement.....

JRTJH
11-09-2014, 05:17 PM
I believe the "whistling" you're hearing is coming from one of the safety cutoff valves in one of the tanks. We had issues with one of our tanks and would have to shut that tank off, switch the auto-changeover regulator to the other tank, then after it was "operating OK on the other tank" then turn on the whistling tank. When it would switch from the empty tank to the whistling tank, it would "be quiet".... I'm sure there is a "propane company explanation" somewhere, but as far as I know, it's just that safety valve inside the tank. No problem, it works fine with the whistle, but is a bit "un-nerving" to walk by the propane compartment and be "serenaded" by the tanks....

ljp
11-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Traveling now and will check with the next propane distributor we deal with to see what they have to say about this issue.

Barbell
11-15-2014, 06:28 AM
We also had a whistling propane tank recently. Turned it off for a few minutes and then back on and haven't heard it since. The tank was nearly empty; don't know if that had anything to do with it.

scott24
11-15-2014, 08:02 AM
When the tanks get low and the outdoor temp drops, that's where the whistle comes from. The liquid is slow turning into a gas causing that sound.

Shadowcats
11-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Yup had that problem with our old Trailmanor...tank low, temp drop then came the sound. Also had some condensation problems with that too and if temps went below 0 the line would freeze. Lesson learned, keep full tanks if possible.

Steve S
11-17-2014, 08:29 PM
My tanks scream when there's about 10 mins worth of LP in them when it's cold out, I wouldn't worry too much about it.:)

christopherglenn
11-19-2014, 01:44 PM
That's funny, my propane detector goes off - I assume due to the water heater not staying lit - when there is about 1 min of propane left..