PDA

View Full Version : What is it about men?

BKDFlorida
11-08-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm sure there are many of us who have heard that from our significant others on more than one occasion.

I heard it today and thought I'd share the story and hopefully provide a chuckle for the old timers and a bit of knowledge for the newbies.

We are newbies to camping in a camper as of this year. We've camped for years with tents but the whole camper deal is fairly new.

We finally bought a cover for our camper a few weeks ago as the season is starting to wind down a bit for a couple of months.

Last weekend I noticed that there was something on the camper that was pushing through the cover as we had experienced some high winds over the weekend. Our wonderful extended rain gutters were starting to push through. Saddling up to try and resolve the issue, I rolled back the cover and created my own custom protectors for the gutters. I cut some pieces off of a swimming noodle and slid them over the ends. I then began searching the bag for the cover to see if there was patch material for the cover.

As I dug through the bag, I came across a little plastic bag with these little slip covers. Hmmmm, labeled gutter covers. I guess I won't show these to the DW. I read through the instructions and sure enough, "install rain gutter covers to protect the cover". Darn. I continue digging and find the patch material I need to repair the cover.

As I dug, I also came across this other baggie that contained what appeared to be extra straps. Upon further investigation, I found they were (for lack of a better name) "tossers". Little weighted straps for tossing under the camper. So, you mean I don't have to task the kid with crawling under the camper to pull them through? Sigh...

Well, I finished with the repairs and put all back as it should be and announced my triumph to the DW. Of course, being of no capacity to keep things from her, I explained all that I discovered.

And then the statement, "What is it about men, that they can't read the directions first?"

Lesson learned.... well, for today!

JRTJH
11-08-2014, 09:41 AM
My DW always locates the instructions and puts them on the top of the box as we're opening it. I always take the packet she so "graciously laid on top" and slide it under the box so it's "handy" when I'm done and cleaning up the mess. Over the years, she's said the same thing "thousands of times" and I've still not "learned what she means"...... How'd the pool noodles work? (tx)

BKDFlorida
11-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Pool noodles worked great. They're pliable enough that the cover just slides over them. I can store them in the bag with the cover when we're out camping.

Desert185
11-08-2014, 09:46 AM
In our family, I read, she doesn't. What is it about women? :p

I poured over everything I could find about our 5er before we bought it, including this very informative forum. The wifey thought I was possessed or obsessed, or some kind of sessed. She enjoyed the first trip, though. Mission accomplished.

GmaPaTime
11-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I too was accused of being obsessed with information when buying our 5er. DW thought I was going overboard with reading everything I could about the units we were looking at. She coudln't understand why you just don't pick out the one you like the looks of go buy it.

chuckster57
11-08-2014, 04:31 PM
My DW will chuckle and ask "couldn't figure it out without the directions?"

Shadowcats
11-14-2014, 03:18 PM
I find it helps if there are pictures! So much trouble to get the reading glasses, besides half the time the instructions don't make much sense??? Usually wife stands right there with the instructions telling me what to do - - "Yes Dear." Thanks for the smile and lesson learned. :)

sourdough
11-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Didn't see this until today. Thanks for the chuckle. Mirrors my experiences (tx)

murphysranch
11-20-2014, 12:09 PM
DH was struggling and struggling with putting on new wipers for my Mother's car. As he was getting more and more frustrated, I read the directions. 30 seconds later, one was done and the next one took 30 more seconds...:banghead:

Desert185
11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Murphysranch:

(tx) for your service!

:)